Football

James

You know, there's been no football talk here this season. It figures as it's a season that's looking to be James' most bountiful in his lifetime:

1. The Chicago Bears are marching toward a Super Bowl Championship. Though they have some things they need to correct, I think they've got the team to do it.

2. The Ohio State Buckeyes are marching to a National Championship. Though I bleed Ohio State, I can objectively say this is the best college team I've ever seen. Prior to this season it was the 2001 Miami Hurricanes. But the Buckeyes have it all: offense, defense, special teams, coaching, experience, class, character. Hopefully I am not jinxing them.

3. Division 3....my team, Wisconsin Whitewater went to the championship game and lost to the team of the century, Mount Union, for the second straight year.

Let's talk some football!

Hi James,

I"ll talk football with you, if don't mind talking with a girl. My husband is not a sports fan, so it is great to talk with another person who is.

First, I hope da Bears can pull off the run for the Super Bowl. It would be a pretty good matchup against the Steelers.

I am praying for a Christmas or New Year's miracle for my Steelers to get into the playoffs.

I was watching the NFL preview show earlier this evening. Bob Costas and Chris Collingsworth belive the Bears may fizzle out in the playoffs.

They all seem to think the Ladamin Tomlinson and the Chargers are the team to beat.

For the AFC, if the Steelers fall short, then my next favorite is the Colts. I just admire Tony Dungy (you know he played for the Steelers under Chuck Noll).

ps. Did you know that Clark Griswold is a Bear's fan? wink

Deb

Well...ummmm....allright, I guess I can talk football with a girl... wink

I was happy for Cowher and all you Steeler fans when they won it all last year....now they've got my man from Ohio State, Santonio Holmes...he will be a great one for the Steelers. They shouldn't have let Randell El go...I was hoping the Bears would get him but it didn't happen.

Hope your Steeler miracle comes to pass...as long as the dream ends with a loss to the Bears in the Super Bowl!!

James,

It was an exciting day for Bears fans like us ...but some concerns:

Why did our Bears allow so many points today? Where was the defense. Someone said that TB had scored 19 points total in the past 3 games and today they got 31. YIKES

Why did the Bears after having a big big lead...let them Bucs back in the game? YIKES

Terry "Tank" Johnson is in a ton of trouble! Arrested with all those guns! This is not a healthy situation. What the Heck is going on there?

Also...Did you go to UW Whitewater? My colleague that teaches next to me did and is in his early forties...maybe you were roomies in the dorm?

Phil

No Phil, I went to TCU ...and love the Horned Frogs too! I just started following Division 3 in the last few years and Whitewater was close enough to drive to (I lived in Lake Bluff, I've since moved to Palos Hills in the south suburbs for business reasons) and they were becoming a Div3 powerhouse.

Yeah, the Bears played perfect in the first half but the defense collapsed in the last 17 minutes or so. They will have to correct that along with making sure the offense continues on its improvement trend if they're going to win it all...which I do believe is their's if they can keep/get it all together.

The Tank thing is tough...they probably need to just cut him...I'm sorry to say.

I was going to say ....the tank has got to be flushed. So sad.

Do you think Rex will be consistent enough down the stetch? I just hope the Bears do not have a let down with nailing down home field advantage that they let Brett and the Pack beat them on New Years Eve...

Lovie has got to get their heads in the right place and not get too complacent ...today was a major red flag.

horned Frogs..huh? Wow....did they ever play Texas Tech ...Bobby's school?

Did them Frogs play:

Rice

Houston

Sam Houston St.

North Texas St at Denton

U of Texas at Austin

Texas Tech

Univ of Texas Arlington

Phil

James, as a Packer fan, well, I'm not supposed to like the Bears. (I'm still POed about that cheap TD that "The Fridge" scored on a late-game, rub-it-in plunge in the late 1980s....)

But as long as the Pack isn't going anywhere, I'd love to see our division mates show 'em how it's done....

Can we get you into our Fantasy Football league next year?

--LC

James - I've been a Bears fan my whole life, but, realistically, I'll be very surprised if they make it to the Superbowl, although I'd really love to see it happen.

While they and Chargers clearly appear to be the 2 best teams in their conferences......much like in any playoff situation, many (if not most) times the best teams don't go all the way; it's the hottest teams at that time, much like the Steelers last year, who were tied for the 4-5th best record in the AFC (11-5), then hit a very hot streak in the playoffs....helped in no small way by (1) Carson Palmer getting hurt during the Pitt/Cincy game, then (2) Denver knocking off New England, the defending champs.

Why don't I expect the Bears to make the Superbowl? 2 words - Rex Grossman. He'll have to play 2 almost error-free games against good teams to get to the SB. I have no doubt that their defense will ratchet it up a notch in the playoffs (although Carolina shocked the Hell out of them last year)....but whether it'll be good enough to bring home all the marbles - I doubt it. They'll likely have to play back-to-back games against maybe Seattle, then Dallas or New Orleans. While they're certainly capable of beating those teams, Rex will have to protect the football....

Good points JohnO, but that's what sports is all about...the Bears have challenges they need to overcome to make it...but it's very doable...they need to be right at playoff time.

Yeah Ted, the Eagles story is cool. I love Garcia....he's kind of a Lazarus story.

RE: Chargers, I love Schottenheimer and my man LT..(Horned Frog!)...both class acts...Rivers had the best college quarterbacking exhibition (against Ohio State) that I've ever seen. That guy's good now and will be great.

LC, don't tell anyone but I kind of like the Packers too ..at least when they're not playing the Bears...such a small town financially supporting a franchise...and a fan base that genuinely loves and supports their team through thick and thin...unlike Chicago fans I'm sorry to say.

And Kathy, I suppose it's ok if you "hijack" my thread ...as long as your probation officer doesn't mind...but it's that terrorist KIWI I'm concerned about.. wink

I'm not a huge FB fan, but I do follow certain things with interest... more than ever since we have the "Rasperries Football League" going now... laugh

My biggest thrill yesterday was seeing the Eagles beat Eli Manning and the Giants.

I understand the desire for big names to play in big places for big money, but the draft system is set up as it is for a reason; and that reason is, theoretically at least, for the weaker teams of the previous season to get the cream of the crop from the draft.

When Eli "Crybaby" Manning announced to the world that he'd never play a down for San Diego, he moved into first place on my $hit-li$t. Every time he is sacked, every time he throws an interception or incomplete, every time his team loses... I cheer and leap into the air like my team had just won the Super Bowl!

No, Manning's not the first to do it; to thumb his nose at the draft system, but thank God he's proven to be less of "the man" than his brother is... and also thank God that San Diego is better off without him than New York is with him! laugh

I felt just as "justified" when former crybaby Todd Van Poppel told my beloved Braves to stick it, he'd go to college before he'd ever play with them... so the Bravo's passed on him and then, with the 14th choice, Oakland drafts young Mr. Poppel and he signs with them... for damn near top round monies... and embarks on a quite pedestrian and even below average career.

Oh yeah, the guy the Braves got instead? A future All Star and probably Hall of Famer named Larry "Chipper" Jones.

Paulie, didn't John Elway do the same thing Eli did? I believe he snubbed his nose at the Colts (who were in Baltimore at the time), but I could be wrong. It is a little prima-donna-ish to pull such stunts, but... I'm certain no one in Denver is complaining that Elway had a say in where he went. But I remember thinking for years that #7 was a spoiled brat because of his "demands."

Now Eli---he's been in my dog house all season because, yeah, I had him on another fantasy team. And I found out that he's no Peyton!

James, there's just something about that North Division (formerly Central). Even when Minnesota and Detroit suck, I still sort of like 'em the way I like the Bears---just not nearly as much. See, both of those franchises wussied out when they had domes built. Seeing Vikings and Lions play indoors still seems weird. I love those old NFL films that show Fran Tarkenton scrambling on a "frozen tundra" or Greg Landry running around on a muddy or snowy field.

At least the Pack and the Bears still play outside, braving the elements of Midwest winters like real men as they brutalize each other in -10 degree weather! Yeah!!! (Here's a good chance to make fun of macho attitudes. Ladies?)

Ohhhhh Larry, come on buddy! Let's not start going over 80's "cheap" stuff involving Bears/Packers. The Fridge scored that rub it in TD as revenge for Tiger Lee's vicious attempt at pushing Walter Payton over the team bench well after he was running out of bounds in the previous game at Green Bay. That was at the height of the Forrest Gregg/Mike Ditka wars.

Umm, Charle Martin on Jim McMahon?

And, yes, Elway did the same thing. I believe he was swapped to the Broncos for OL Chris Hinton and some other picks, but I'm pretty sure the Colts actually drafted him and then traded him that day or shortly after.

I know there aren't a lot of hockey fans here, but Ted and Marvin will remember junior brat Eric Lindros was drafted by Quebec #1 and even refused to wear their hat for pictures until he was traded to Philadelphia for seven players (at the time many were picks and one turned into superstar Peter Forsberg). Quebec moved their franchise to Colorado and that trade helped turned them into a great team for many years.

Ohhhhh Larry, come on buddy! Let's not start going over 80's "cheap" stuff involving Bears/Packers. The Fridge scored that rub it in TD as revenge for Tiger Lee's vicious attempt at pushing Walter Payton over the team bench well after he was running out of bounds in the previous game at Green Bay. That was at the height of the Forrest Gregg/Mike Ditka wars.

Umm, Charles Martin on Jim McMahon?

Ooooops! I forgot about those things, BHPat. But your post made me laugh out loud! That Charles Martin body slam of Jim McMahon belongs on any 10 Worst Cheap Shots list of all time. Even as a Packer fan, I cringed at that play (and still do when the replay comes up from time to time). I mean, sheesh! He picked up Mac and then drove him about 2 feet into the ground, shoulder first (throwing shoulder!) and landed on top of him with all of his weight. All 280+/- pounds of him! That had to hurt like hell.....

I was glad the Pack later picked up McMahon and had him as Brett Favre's backup during our 1997 season Super Bowl win. At least Mac got another ring. And Martin got run out of football faster than a Walter Payton cutback....

So, okay.... touche --- both sides have had their moments....

"I was glad the Pack later picked up McMahon and had him as Brett Favre's backup during our 1997 season Super Bowl win. At least Mac got another ring. And Martin got run out of football faster than a Walter Payton cutback...."

Yeah, but I'm guessing he and the Bears would have gotten rings in '86, if not for Martin's cheap shot. They couldn't make it past the Redskins that year in the playoffs, thanks to Ditka's insistence in playing Flutie (whose first go-round in the NFL wasn't exactly successful...after several years of seasoning in the CFL, he did fine later...)