Cleveland Natives - Question.....

JohnO

Weather permitting (and assuming air travel from DC and driving in Ohio are OK), I'm hitting the Beachland Ballroom this weekend for The Box Tops (Friday, 3/2) and Mary Weiss (Shangri-La's, Saturday, 3/3) shows.

Last year, when I flew there to see the Choir reunion shows, I saw the R&R HOF and the big Hall of Science (or whatever it's called) next door, and drove to Canton for the Pro Football HOF.

Question - I'd like to take in some more interesting sites/attractions this time. What else is in the general vicinity that's worth checking out? Any suggestions will be appreciated...

The Duquesne (sp?) Incline is pretty cool, Point Park is really nice, The Hard Rock Cafe is pretty spiffy, The Clarks play there pretty often (hometown), oh yeah and the Pirates. They USED to be fun to go and watch. Other than that, not much. You could always drive east for a little over an hour and I could give you the 10 cent tour of our studio! laugh Nothing else here to see except Presque Isle State Park on Lake Erie. Absolutely beautiful.

The cultural district is pretty neat. It has a lot of theatres. There is always something going on. The Carnegie Science Center is interesting to see. That is one of my favorite places and Phipps Conservatory is another. There orchid show is the featured attraction now, but the other displays are nice to see. If you like the symphony, check out the Pittsburgh Symphony. They are awesome!

Ahem, About fifteen minutes east of downtown Cleveland lies University Circle, home to Severance Hall, The Cleveland Museum of Art (one of the finest in the country, I believe we have a huge Monet exhibit going on right now) The Natural History Museum, (also excellent) the Crawford Auto and Aviation Museum, the Cleveland Institute of Music, (my first school) Case Western Reserve University and the world famous Cleveland Clinic (rated number one in the world for heart surgery).

Four minutes south of University Circle you'll find Little Italy with great restaurants and desserts (try Corbo's Bakery for dessert). And if you're staying overnight and want to take in a Broadway show, Playhouse Square, at 12th and Euclid, is the second largest theater district in the USA (after New York, of course). All of this is about fifteen minutes from the Beachland Ballroom.

Oh..and while your visiting our theatre district, make sure you schedule an appointment to have a wheel alignment done on your car, because of the tremendous,holes,cracks,uneven pavement...and watch out for those orange barrels!!!Yeah, you better head for Little Italy for dinner, because this Euclid Corridor project is bankrupting most of the businesses left on Euclid Ave. sorry to be a spoil-sport, but I work downtown everyday and the streets and the business attitude is grave! This is a renovation project that had good intentions, however,it will turn out being a transportation project that will take riders where??? To an empty downtown area???

Eric - Many thanks! FINALLY...a response about Cleveland!

BTW, what I've heard of the new Mary Weiss album on Norton sounds great! While the Shangri-La's only did a handful of classic records (Out In The Street, Remember (Walking In The Sand), Give Him A Great Big Kiss, Heaven Only Knows), as well as a bunch of novelty tunes (Leader Of The Pack, I Can Never go Home Anymore, and several morbid dying-in-car-crash tunes like Give Us Your Blessing), Mary W. always had a great set of pipes....kinda like a white Ronnie Spector. This Saturday's show is her first in close to 40 years, excluding a couple of one-shot reunion shows (when the other Shangs were still alive)...

"Oh..and while your visiting our theatre district, make sure you schedule an appointment to have a wheel alignment done on your car, because of the tremendous,holes,cracks,uneven pavement...and watch out for those orange barrels!!!"

Thanks Brian, but I'm renting a car, and Enterprise can worry about the realignment! I believe I probably saw the worst of Cleveland last year, when I drove up Euclid Ave. from Wickliffe, in search of the Agora Theater....and I found it!

Eric,and Cleveland area friends.

My brother and I are travelling to Cleveland from April 3rd through the 6th.

We will be going to see his daughter at Oberlin College,visiting the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame,and hopefully visiting the Cleveland Museum Of Art.

I read your info about University Circle.

Can you suggest what area I should scout for hotels,...University Circle?..Downtown?

Waddaya suggest?

I thank you for any advice you can give.-Ira.

I just got back from a weekend in Cleveland, and just dodged a bullet yesterday (Sunday), as it was snowing pretty hard at the airport when I got away yesterday afternoon.

Eric's tips regarding University Circle were much appreciated. I went to the Museum of Art (Monet in Normandy exhibit), Museum of Natural History, Botanical Garden, and saw Severance Hall. I hit Little Italy for dinner on Saturday night (Mama Santa's - pretty good Sicilian cuisine), and went twice to Corbo's Bakery (excellent cakes, tiramisu & cookies!!!). I also hit the R&R Hall of Fame, this time just to go CD/book shopping in the gift shop - they have an excellent selection of CDs, compared to any store in DC (especially with Towers closed). They still have 1 copy of "Marathon Man" there.

Saw a very good Box Tops show at Beachland Friday night, and an awesome Mary Weiss (Shangri-La's lead singer) show on Saturday.

(BTW, I stayed at a dump Comfort Inn in Wickliffe, 5 minutes from Beachland Ballroom....I only want a room to sleep in and stash my luggage & clothes...other than that, I'm never there...)

Ira --just out of curiousity --if you go to the bookstore at Oberlin, see if they corrected the Oberlin Conservatory mugs (the Conservatory may have a seperate store). They used to sell a 'music' mug and the treble clef was drawn incorrectly. My guess is that it's still incorrect (in which case you should buy one!)

Anne