Free Speech: Not Online

Paulie Mississippi

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Human nature... that thing in all of us that makes us believe that we are right even when the whole world thinks we are wrong... makes it so that some people can not accept that their view is not the accepted view...

It's why we have fights... wars... elections for leaders... if we ever were truly in one accord, there would be no need for any of those...

Sad to say, there are those among us (on a national and worldwide scope) who will always see to it that we have fights and wars and other such discord... because there is great profit in war... and it is also the greatest way to keep from having an excessive number of middle to lower class citizens...

Peace, Chris? I crave a world in which there is peace... but there shall be no peace on earth... no good will toward men... so long as we have men (and women) who will lead us into battle so eagerly and readily as we have in power... on a world-wide scope...

Free speech is just one of the things we fight for... that we shall never truly have...

Heh...Ya gotta be tough to post at EC.com. I really don't understand people getting too worked up over the "tone" of a post. Remember ...this is an internet message board. Nothing more...although as Paulie said, some people may want to make it more, it still just a message board.Maybe people thinking it is bigger than that may lead some to be offended.

Just want to drop a different viewpoint.

Not everyone knows each other personally here, or as well as maybe we should or would like to.

In any event I think it's assuming a little much that anyone who reads a post should automatically know what one's tone is meant to be like. I mean how could they possibly know? How could anyone get annoyed that one might be offended because they couldn't pick up on one's tone?

The one thing I find laughable is the free speech debate. No offense people. We are forgetting that this isn't a government run message board. No one was elected here to ensure free speech. This board was more a less a gift to Eric and his fans as well as Raspberries fans by Bernie.

I equate this with inviting everyone here on this site to my home. Would anyone be so brazen to light up a cigarette or a joint in my living room or den? Would you curse my wife? Would you talk like a truck driver in my home just because you were invited? I would hope not. I would also hope you conducted yourself as an invited guest, because that's certainly what we are here.

I like to think that Bernie's hard work and effort to create a place where we can all come to and speak freely about life, music and Eric would be conducted in a 'civilized manner' as well, with respect to everyone's opinions. Not just a certain few. Maybe that's not the case, but folks, appearance is everything. And that's the appearance.

If this was my board and I saw obscene language and I had rules set in place regarding how I expect my board to be run, it's not a matter of free speech because A)if you don't like the rules you don't have to be here, and B) I could care less about censorship and free speech.Go make your own board if that's what you want.

People are grossly mistaking if they think the Constitution and Bill of Rights apply to an Eric Carmen message board. They don't.

The fact that people continually dismiss other people's thoughts, ideas, and suggestions, and leave members feeling like the last one picked in gym class is terrible. Didn't we all grow up and get past that?

I mean how can we in one breath cry free speech, then when people post personal things they may need help on, it's too much information, or too personal? Don't those same people have a right to their free speech? Double Standard?

On top of all this, whether you like it or not, we are all on this board because of Eric, and thus are a reflection on him.

The last thing I want to be looked at in front of Eric is an embarassment. But hey, that's just me. I'm just the 800 pound gorilla in the room.

BTW, can anyone here guess what tone i'm using?

Good stuff Mike. I think even Paulie would agree.

He's just stringing this thing along to amuse himself anyway...just seeing how all the sensitive people react.

Right Paulie?

Thanks Tony C! Listen though, I like Paulie and I really enjoy a great many of his threads and posts, and also just because I quoted Holls post, was not meant to single them out, but more or less just me speaking 'in general' with no disrespect to either of them. Just my feelings on the matter at hand.

Beatnut...I don't know about your tone, but judging from your post,you certainly don't agree with mine. That's okay...I do not feel like I was picked last in gym class. My opinion is this is just a message board...to me me anyhow...yes, some people feel it is more, that's okay too...just remember not everone agrees on that point.

I don't believe being a fan of someone's music is makes you a reflection on that person. Charles Manson was a big Beatles fan...How did that reflect badly on the Beatles? That Beetlebum guy was a Eric fan...how did anything he posted reflect badly on Eric? It didn't.

I not sure about the too much personal information part...people post all kinds of stuff,some do post personal stuff...certainly more than I would post on a public forum...but no one is forcing anyone to read it or comment on it.

When there is a difference of opinion,someone may take that as being dismissive...when it is A DIFFERENCE OF OPINION. Some people may not like being challenged, or are not used to it...but if they put their view out there, someone who disagrees has the right to state their view also.

I don't know where you've been recently...but it's good to have you back.

Hi Holls,

I can see where you're coming from clearly. I know you have a sharp sense of humor and I enjoy it. But I am very popular on Macca's website and have posted there over 30,000 times over the past 6 years. I have made a ton of friends there which 'G' will attest to because he's met some of them.

My point being that those people know me well, and other people who don't might think i'm a wise ass or just a sarcastic grump. Just because of my sarcastic humor which I find funny but others have to get to know me to realize i'm just goofing on them.

Unfortunately I have come across those who don't know me and sometimes my sarcastic wit has hurt their feelings which is always the furthest thing from my mind. Not everyone can be 'thick skinnned' like you and me, nor does everyone appreciate our sense of humor. So our only options left are to blow it off as 'oh they don't know me' OR ' sometimes we eat crow and have to apologize and make others aware of our charming wit so they don't get hurt feelings.

Believe me Holls, I know all too well about hurt feelings and i'm not always able to read someone, which makes me a tad sensitive to how I deliver my approach.

I don't believe being a fan of someone's music is makes you a reflection on that person. Charles Manson was a big Beatles fan...How did that reflect badly on the Beatles? That Beetlebum guy was a Eric fan...how did anything he posted reflect badly on Eric? It didn't.

I don't know where you've been recently...but it's good to have you back.

Holls, I don't think Manson was a member of the Beatles Official Website' LOL!!

I like to believe that none of us are psycho sickos here, as Manson was.

I didn't know this Beetlebum guy but if he got booted he probably wasn't a good member.

I am not meaning that a post or a viewpoint reflects on Eric. What I mean is if I see a lot of fighting and carrying on and abusive disrespectful language, if I were Eric I wouldn't want to be reading this stuff and thinking "These are the kind of people I attract'? smile

P.S..just took a little time off..but I read you everyday and love your links.

One thing that I feel very strongly should be taken into consideration is the fact that we may feel very comfortable in this arena and feel that we can speak freely but that doesn't mean we SHOULD whenever we choose. Sometimes the honorable thing to do is to just say nothing... retain your dignity, your compassion, and your friendships and let others retain theirs.

"On top of all this, whether you like it or not, we are all on this board because of Eric, and thus are a reflection on him."

Not quite Beatnut - I am a Raspberries fan lol - I like the sum of all four parts not just one....... and that's why I am here. (I'm sure that just landed me in hot water, but who cares).... That's just my opinion. I think everyone has lost their minds, including me.

I'm the new kid so I'll sit this discussion out.

Except to say - something only generally relevant - that I co-manage an MSN Board that started as a Prodigy group 16 years ago. Over the years there have been a couple of times when a thread raised the dander on some of the members. But after all this time we are still together as a cohesive group.

I can tell you guys are also a cohesive group. You are a very smart and eloquent group too. I enjoy "talking" with you.

Kelley

"On top of all this, whether you like it or not, we are all on this board because of Eric, and thus are a reflection on him."

Not quite Beatnut - I am a Raspberries fan lol - I like the sum of all four parts not just one....... and that's why I am here. (I'm sure that just landed me in hot water, but who cares).... That's just my opinion. I think everyone has lost their minds, including me.

MJ, that's absolutely your right and your opinion and I certainly respect that. Maybe or maybe not we're a reflection of Eric because this board is in his honor, and we are members here. I like to conduct myself as if I am a refecltion of Eric Carmen as a fan. (if that makes any sense) smile

30,000 posts in 6 years. That is unbelievable! I mean that is really staggering.

Holls..you can find me at Paul MCartney .com...I still go by BEATNUT in the Talk More Talk Forum.

I had about 20,000 posts the first three years..my sign up date was April 2002. Then the board crashed, everyone lost their post count and now i'm at 10,000 plus... smile

One guy has like 70,000.. hypno

Have you ever talked to Mike on the phone? He's one of the friendliest and most enthusiastic people I've ever met in my life!!! ROFLOL He's a great guy to talk with and genuinely cares about his friends. I don't doubt he has a lot to say to them!

Hey Kathy....you are so sweet! Don't sell yourself short either, you give great phone too!

LOL!! laugh

20K in three years. Wow.

Well it was kind of easy. There were so many people posting and it was every single day for like 6 hours a day. Sometimes I would eat dinner in front of the computer because I was afraid I was going to miss something. In June 2002 my wife and I went on a cruise to Bermuda for a week. I was going crazy becaue there were only 2 computers on the ship...now when I go away next month I don't want to be near any electronic devices period.LOL

Plus Paul toured for a long time in 2002 and 2005 so it was quite a buzz.

Maybe if the 'Boys' tour again for more then 5 concerts our post counts will build a lot faster.

There's so much to post regarding shows, getting tickets, who's going, where are we meeting,,,it's electric. Believe me, you don't even know your posting or are even aware of the count.