What are your fave record labels?

Carmen Smalley

Ah, the 1910 Fruitgum Company. No pun intended, I love that "bubble gum" music. If I can recall correctly didn't they do "1-2-3 Red Light" and "Chewey-Chewy"? I also think they were from Cleveland, Ohio. I do remember seeing them here in a local night spot. They were popular in Spain? happy

The 1910 Fruitgum Co. had only 5 Top 40 hits & 3 gold records. The New Jersey bubblegum quintet led by Mark Gutkowski (lead singer), Floyd Marcus, Pat Karwan, Steve Mortkowitz and Frank Jeckell. The quintet recorded first 2 hits, then producers Jerry Kasenetz and Jeff Katz used a revolving-door studio-based membership centered around lead singer Gutkowski. Their first hit "Simon Says" went to # 4 (Hot 100) back in March 9-March 30,1968 for 4 weeks & a gold record. The next single "May I Take A Giant Step (Into Your Heart)" went to # 63 (Hot 100) back in May of 1968. The song "1, 2, 3, Red Light" went to # 5 (Hot 100) back in September 14 & 21, 1968 and a gold record. The Trade Winds did backing vocals on that song. The next song "Goody Goody Gumdrops" went to # 37 (Hot 100) back in December of 1968. Billy Carl did the lead vocal on that song. The next single "Indian Giver" went to # 5 (Hot 100) back in March 22, 1969 & a gold record. The next single "Special Delivery" went to # 38 (Hot 100) back in June of 1969. The next single "The Train" went to # 57 (Hot 100) back in October of 1969. Their last single "When We Get Married" only went to # 118 (Bubbling Under) back in November of 1969. On the Billboard Top 200 Album Charts, the album "Simon Says" went to # 162 back in May of 1968. The album "1, 2, 3 Red Light" went to # 163 back in November of 1968. The album "Indian Giver" went to # 147 back in May of 1969. That was it on the Billboard Charts. The album called "Hard Ride" (which has the motorcycle gang known as "Hells Angels") is worth checking out. It has the song "The Train" but worth hearing is the song called "In The Beginning/The Thing" which is psychedelic. The group broke up for good back in April or May of 1970. Matt

The group Ohio Express led by Joey Levine is from Mansfield, Ohio. The group was produced by Jerry Kasenetz and Jeff Katz (worked with The Music Explosion and 1910 Fruitgum Co.). Joey Levine was born on May 29, 1947. He was later with the group Reunion and several Katenetz-Katz productions was lead singer on most of the hits He was also in groups The Third Rail and U.S. 1. The first single "Beg, Borrow And Steal" went to # 29 (Hot 100) back in November of 1967. The record is actually a reissue of a release by The Rare Breed on Attack Records back in 1966. The next single "Try It" went to # 83 (Hot 100) back in Feburary of 1968. It was originally released by The Standells back in 1967 on Tower Records. Both songs were on Cameo Records. The next single "Yummy Yummy Yummy" went to # 4 (Hot 100) back in June 15-June 29, 1968 for 3 weeks & a gold record. The next single "Down At Lulu's" went to # 33 (Hot 100) back in September of 1968. The next single "Chewy Chewy" went to # 15 (Hot 100) back in December of 1968 & a gold record. The next single "Sweeter Than Sugar" went to # 96 (Hot 100) back in March 1, 1969. The next single "Mercy" went to # 30 (Hot 100) back in May of 1969. The songs "Try Me" through "Mercy" were sung and written by Joey Levine. Joey Levine left the group. The next single "Pinch Me (Baby, Convince Me)" went to # 99 (Hot 100) back in June of 1969. Buddy Bengert was the lead singer on that song. The next single "Sausalito (Is The Place To Go)" went to # 86 back in September of 1969. Graham Gouldman (of 10cc) was the lead singer. The last single "Cowboy Convention" went to # 101 (1 week) (Bubbling Under) back in December 6, 1969. On the Billboard Top 200 Album Charts, the album "Ohio Express" went to # 126 back in August of 1968. The album "Chewy, Chewy" went to # 191 back in Feburary of 1969. That was it on the Billboard Charts. Other members of the Ohio Express were Jim Pfayler, Dale Powers, Doug Grassel, Tim Corwin and Dean Kastran. Matt

More on Joey Levine...From Rock Artifacts, Volume 3 back in 1991: The trio called The Third Rail was a studio group made up of songwriters Artie Resnick, his wife Kris, and Joey Levine. Arthur Resnick had established himself as a songwriter of some merit, having co-written the Drifters' "Under The Boardwalk" and "I've Got Sand In My Shoes," Gene McDaniels' "Chip Chip," Ronnie Dove's "One Kiss For Old Time's Sake" and "A Little Bit Of Heaven," and the Olympics/Young Rascals tune "Good Lovin'." In 1966, the Resnicks got together with Joey Levine and produced what might be the first all-subway single, "The Subway Train That Came To Life" and "Rush Hour Stomp," calling themselves, appropriately enough, the Third Rail (Cameo). They signed with Epic Records in 1967 and, continuing with the commuter concept, issued "Run Run Run." It is presented here from original New York two-track mixdown master for the album Id Music (which did not chart on Billboard Top 200 Album Charts or Bubbling Under). Although "Run Run Run" and especially their follow-up "Boppa Do Down Down," sounded very much like the bubblegum music that would be so popular starting in 1968, "Run Run Run" only managed to reach # 53 (Hot 100) and the follow-up didn't chart at all. It was only when the Resnicks and Levine joined forces with producers Jerry Kasenetz and Jeffrey Katz that the bubblegum movement really caught fire. Levine and the Resnicks were responsible, individually or in various combinations, for writing, producing, or singing on virtually all the Ohio Express hits. In addition, they wrote the two Kasenetz-Katz Singing Orchestral Circus hits "Down In Tennessee" and "Quick Joey Small," "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'" by Crazy Elephant, and "Make Believe" by Wind. Artie Resnick has continued songwriting throughout the 1970s and 1980s. Joey Levine was behind the 1974 hit "Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me)" (RCA), a tongue-twisting, breath-defying tribute to early rock and roll which was distributed to many stations around the country with individual radio call letters overdubbed on their promo copies. By the mid-1980s, Levine was writing and producing commercials. The song "Run Run Run" was recorded April 4, 1967 in New York; released as mono single on Epic on June 16, 1967; single entered Hot 100 on August 5, 1967, remaining on chart 9 weeks; peaked at # 53 on September 16, 1967; first album appearance on "Id Music" on Epic. The single ran 1:57 in length. The Third Rail's third & final single "It's Time To Say Goodbye" went to # 113 (Bubbling Under) back in March of 1968. The song "Quick Joey Small (Run Joey Run)" by Kasenetz-Katz Singing Orchestral Circus went to # 25 (Hot 100) (Buddah) back in November of 1968. The song "Down In Tennessee" (which features The 1910 Fruitgum Co./Ohio Express/Music Explosion/Teri Nelson Group/1989 Musical Marching Zoo/St. Louis Invisible Marching Band/Lt. Garcia's Magic Music Box/J.C.W. Ratfinks went to # 124 (Bubbling Under) (Buddah) back in July of 1968. The song "I'm In Love With You" (Kasenetz-Katz Super Cirkus) went to # 105 (Bubbling Under) (Buddah) back in January of 1969. Joey Levine sang lead on those 3 singles. The studio group Reunion which also had members Marc Bellack, Paul DiFranco and Norman Dolph had "Smile" (Theme From Modern Times) (written by the late Charlie Chaplin) (Bell) which went to # 38 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary Charts back in June of 1972 but did not chart the Hot 100 or Bubbled Under. The next single "Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me)" (RCA) went to # 8 (Hot 100) back in November 16, 1974 which the 45 single ran 2:54 instead of 3:30. The final single "Disco-Tekin" (RCA) went to # 101 (1 week) (Bubbling Under) back in Feburary 15, 1975. Joey Levine then formed the group U.S. 1 which the song "Bye Bye Baby" (Private Stock) went to # 91 (Hot 100) back in December of 1975. That was it for Joey Levine. Matt

By the way, Joey Levine sang back up vocals on Crazy Elephant song "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'" (Bell) which went to # 12 (Hot 100) back in April of 1969. Robert Spencer (The Cadillacs) was the lead singer. The follow-ups "Sunshine, Red Wine" (Bell) went to # 104 back in July of 1969 & "Gimme Some More" (Bell) went to # 116 back in September of 1969. Matt

I do have most of the Billboard books from Joel Whitburn which I get the information. The album called "Crazy Elephant" on Bell did not chart. I also have "Bubblegum Classics: Volumes 1, 2 & 3" which came out in 1996 & 1997 but all 3 from Varese are no longer made & out of print. The CD's called "Rock Artifacts: Volume 1 through 3" which came out on Legacy/Columbia back in 1991 (except Volume 4 (60s songs) which is out of print) is on a 3-CD set which came out in the late 90s. Matt

Forgot to mention the song "Bubble Gum Music" by The Rock And Roll Dubble Bubble Trading Card Company Of Philadelphia 19141 (Lead vocal by Joey Levine) (Buddah) which went to # 74 (Hot 100) back in January of 1969. Written by Bob Feldman and Gerald Goldstein. The song called "Dong-Dong-Diki-Di-Ki-Dong" by Kasenetz-Katz Super Cirkus (Lead vocal by Mark Gutkowski) (Super K) went nowhere on the Billboard Charts back in 1970 but it was written by Marinus Gerritsen & George Kooymans. It had all the unmistakeable earmarks of a Eurovision entrant (down to the onomatopoeic nonsense title) and bore the writing credit of one George Kooymans, who also penned Golden Earring's hard rockin' classic, "Radar Love" back in 1974. Matt