Caroline No.-Love the Song

MeinhartStock

Ira - Actually, I have a copy of Capitol single #5610 (but not the one with the picture sleeve), released in 1966, "Caroline, No," backed by "Summer Means New Love", billed as Brian Wilson, not the Beach Boys. Also, I just looked on Brian's web site (www.brianwilson.com), and it's listed as his first solo 45 in his discography. Needless to say, it's the exact same track as that on "Pet Sounds," credited to the Beach Boys. Wonder how many times this has happened?....one recording released under two separately billed artists?

The vocal track on Caroline, No which Brian sings was speeded up a bit to raise the pitch of Brian's voice to make him sound younger. Actually, the original title of the song was "Carol, I Know" but when Tony Asher mentioned it to Brian, he construed it as Caroline, No. The concept of Pet Sounds, starting with the optimistic Wouldn't It be Nice and concluding with the melancholy Caroline, No...brilliant. IMO, the best pop album ever made.

Have you guys seen the DVD "Pet Sounds Live"-performed in England-a coupla years back.

Please-By all means-drop whatever you're doing-and watch and listen to this startling piece of orchestral magic.

Brian really sings very nicely too.(IMHO).-Ira.

The vocal track on Caroline, No which Brian sings was speeded up a bit to raise the pitch of Brian's voice to make him sound younger. Actually, the original title of the song was "Carol, I Know" but when Tony Asher mentioned it to Brian, he construed it as Caroline, No. The concept of Pet Sounds, starting with the optimistic Wouldn't It be Nice and concluding with the melancholy Caroline, No...brilliant. IMO, the best pop album ever made.

You'll get no argument here.

Though it doesn't necessarily reveal itself as such at first listen. I found my appreciation of it growing over time to the point where I now would agree that it's #1, but it had to battle a lot of albums on the way.

Paul Ellis

Have you guys seen the DVD "Pet Sounds Live"-performed in England-a coupla years back.

Please-By all means-drop whatever you're doing-and watch and listen to this startling piece of orchestral magic.

Brian really sings very nicely too.(IMHO).-Ira.

Yeah, I mentioned the Wondermints elsewhere on this board as a great band and that's who Brian has backing him now (with a few additions.) The perfect backup band for him.

"Where you lead-I will follow you".

John-Just got tickets for 11/19/06 Keswick Theater in Glenside Pa.-my home away from home.

John-Philly continues to be a bargain-from real estate to parking.

I saw your previous post-and I said-I can go on a Sunday and work Monday-So I bought tickets too.

Top tickets-$59.50 as apposed to $120+ in NYC and DC.-Ira.

"I have the CD, Born to Love You, but it is missing Caroline No., which was on Winter Dreams. I would love a copy of this song, can anyone help me with this."

Mark - I also just posted this in the collectibles/rarities section of the board - someone's auctioning a copy of "Winter Dreams" on Ebay right now, if you're interested. (Opening bid is listed at $19.99, and nobody's bid on it yet...)

Well, if you think you want it, set your high bid really high. Last month a coworker was in my car and we listened to my copy - she hasn't been able to get those songs out of her head and she's desperate to own that CD. I think Eric has a new fan!

I'm curious - am I the only person who's noticed the sleep inducing effect of "Caroline, No"? There's something about the instrumental that drops me into trance-like dream state. It should have a warning label "May cause drowsiness. Listen with caution while operating a motor vehicle or heavy machinery."