lennon

chris hess

does anyone have the cd.."working class hero the definitive lennon" ?? answer me this..in "grow old with me",who did the double vocal w/john..and who did the strings/horns/and arrangement for that?? this is not what i remembered on the original album!! it's freakin me out..i swear it's paul and george martin's doing!! lol,chris

Chris,

don't know about the double tracked vocal, since it's been awhile since I've heard it. The string arrangement is by none other than George Martin. He did it for the 4 CD Lennon Boxset that came out a few years ago.

An interesting side note. The song was going to be redone (like Free as a bird, and Real Love) by the remaning "Threetles" for the Anthology series back in '95 for third disc set. They decided not to use it after all.

Jeff

THANK U JEFF!!! my sanity is slowly coming back thanks to you!!! it's definently different from the original,had a hunch it was in the works in the same time period..i do think it's paul doubling the voice....thanks,lol,chris

Chris,

I know it's not Paul on Backing vocals, since it never got to that stage. It's probably just John backing himself. I'll have to dig it out and give it a listen again.

Jeff

As has been mentioned, Martin did the string arrangement for "Grow Old With Me". I haven't listened to it in a while but if memory serves John double tracked the vocal when he recorded it at home. Although "Grow Old With Me" was on the cassette of songs Yoko gave to Macca, the Threetles never attempted it. The third song attempted was "Now and Then" but was abandoned because of a constant buzz in the original recording that couldn't be filtered out to George's satisfaction so they never finished it.

The alternate "I'm Losing You" is the version recorded with Cheap Trick.

• 3 weeks later...

Chris, I'm intrigued, so now I have to pick up The Definitive Lennon.... I never got it, since I already have the 4-disc Lennon box, The Lennon Collection, Shaved Fish, and a couple other compilations.... Oh well; you can't have too much John Lennon.

I've been on a JL kick lately. I keep listening to all kinds of gems that weren't overplayed on the radio: "How Do You Sleep?," "It's So Hard," "Steel and Glass," "Mother," "God".... And isn't "Woman Is the Nigger of the World" a classic?

Matthew, cool video there --- thanks! I'd never seen that.

Not only was WITNOTW JL's ultimate feminist statement, I consider it quite possibly THE ultimate feminist statement. Sadly, it is still all too applicable today.

Has anyone else seen "The U.S. vs. John Lennon"? Wonderful film and responsible for my current jag of listening to his music.

Also, I picked up Cynthia Lennon's book. (Looked at it while at Downtown Disney, popdude, but waited till I got home to buy it.) I haven't read it yet, but looking forward to seeing what she has to say.

S*

Hoping she hasn't stirred up too many heated emotions..just some good conversation

Popdude--really? I love that song. That was his ultimate feminist statement... although clearly the title made it impossible for mainstream radio to ever play.... smile

Well, it might just be me, but - well-meaning feminist sentiments aside - I always found WITNOTW to be kind of a muddy, jumbled, overproduced mess of a song, and one with no real chorus to speak of.

As far as musical feminist statements go, I'll take Helen Reddy's "I Am Woman." eek

Hey, Popdude,

Well, yeah, I can see "muddy," but Lennon did put some "mud" in his songs sometimes (as opposed to, say, Helen Reddy). And I can see "jumbled," especially the way the lyrics are such a mouthful. I probably wouldn't call it "overproduced," or a "mess," but that's just me. As for the chorus, isn't this it?:

"Woman is the nigger of the world/Yes, she is,

If you don’t believe me, take a look at the one you’re with.

Woman is the slave of the slaves/Oh yeah, better scream about it..."

Overall, I don't know why I like it --- I just do. It's a powerful song, IMHO. (I love the tag: "We make her paint her face and dance," repeated a zillion times....)

Now, on another Lennon note, did you ever see this live performance of "Imagine"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NczwTn-B_bI

It's a nice, deliberate version, complete with a bit of saxophone and, yes, Yoko playing a drum. And note JL chomping away on gum, also a Wally trademark. (Isn't it hard to chew gum and sing at the same time?)

Apologies if you've already seen this one --- it was posted a year ago, but I never saw it until now.