"Led Zep's Paul Rodgers"

ira

Hi again. I just wanted to ask those who have the album this question: I saw a deluxe version of the album online and was wondering if I should stick with the regular one or purchase the deluxe one? Which one has the best songs?

Raspbernie next time you're on here can you move this question to the Todd thread? I posted it in the wrong place.

Okay I'm a little bananas at the moment, lol.

Ira I didn't see Todd's name in the article you posted. I was half-expecting to read that Todd was a runner-up for the Zep pick, but alas, I see that that is not the case.

I only know Todd by that one song. I'd need to hear his album to get a feel for if he's Zep material. Can he rock? Can he swish and sway to the beat of Bonham's drums?

Daisy...You misunderstood me.

As these groups get older and feud...they sometimes tour without their original lead singers as they go after "profits".

A coupla "Cars" re-formed as "The New Cars" with no Rick Ocaseck and Todd Rundgren mimicking their sound.

Styx now tours w/o Dennis DeYoung.

Journey tours w/o Steve Perry....And now possibly Led Zep will tour w/o Roger Plant.

Next thing you know we'll have the "Who" touring w/o Roger Daltrey as the "Guess Who".

Oh silly me...that group would have to actually be the 2008 version of the Canadian band of "American Woman" fame touring w/o Burton Cummings singing lead!-Ira.

Thanks Ira. I understand now.

Well, I'm sure that Plant and the others have enough money to last them the rest of their lives, and so they don't need to tour any longer.

Let's hope they don't stop writing or jamming because as I was just telling Gman in a PM -- music is a lifeblood and should never really be stopped, else life stops. That may not be true for all musicians, but I have a feeling it holds true for quite a number of them.

The way I know this is because I learned it the hard way.

Ira, I caught your meaning. The title of the subject line had me prepared to hear you say Page was going to go out with Rodgers again - Which would not be cool. The Firm was crappy. Not that Paul Rodgers could sing Zep anyway, though Chris Robinson did a great job.

But No, I don't think it should happen at all without Plant. I admit I don't know anything about this Kennedy guy (though I liked Creed), but there should be no other frontman under the name Zep than Plant.

When Robinson sang Zep, the groups toured as "The Black Crowes with Jimmy Page." The first half of the show was all Crowes tunes and the 2nd half Zep. They did a lot of Physical Graffiti, which, I think Plant was afraid to sing by then. Did they play any at the O2 last Dec.? Page & Plant were FABULOUS in the late 90's (saw that show 3 times) but no Physical Graffiti to speak of.

Kelley

Daisey, I think that song is okay. I think I'm tainted against it though because Paul Rodgers stayed drunk for that whole tour and I don't have a lot of appreciation for that. Page wasn't in the best of shape himself but he managed. I am always so happy for people when they kick their demons and let their talent shine through again.

Kelley

Well, I know what you mean about drinking and drugs and playing music, but honestly, that seems to be what a lot of them do. I'm not sure if I myself could go up on a stage totally sober. It's too damn scary, all those faces staring at you and watching your every move. I know, I know, they paid to hear you perform, but still, I don't know if I could do that. Perhaps with that in mind you could understand musicians a little more, maybe? Also, please let me say this, that I don't think talent has anything to do with drinking or drugs. I believe in, you are born with a music talent or not. My guess is that songs can be written whether sober or drugged up or drunk.

Well, there is a line that isn't good to cross. David Lee Roth personally ruined every Van Halen show I ever saw. I also point to Aerosmith as an example: Some of their dependencies got so bad by the late 80's that they stopped touring and putting out new music for a while. After they got cleaned up they got "Back in the Saddle" and I applaud them. I finally got to see them live about 2 1/2 years ago and I was blown away! They entered the floor from the rear, pranced down the aisle carrying a HUGE American flag, hopped up onto the catwalk, and nobody sat down for the rest of the show. What a great night! It was the 2nd best act I've ever seen - right behind the Page & Plant shows of the late 90's.

Kelley