New Albums For Eagles And The Police

MikeC

The Eagles album is expected within 90 days, and The Police, to play live Feb. 11th on The Grammy Awards, I would guess five to six months

at http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=249821&GT1=7702

Don Henley of the Eagles will be honored Feb. 9th as MusicCares Person Of The Year for work benefitting environmental issues and musicians' rights and concerns. MusicCares provides assistance to musicians in times of needs.

Yes, Billy K, it looks like they want to tour again, and they want new songs. I'm not sure that the others in the band were playing for other people when Sting went solo. I've always admired Sting for trying to create new things in his music. He's one of those musicians trying to do something different, but maybe not always commercially accepted. But music isn't always commercial. I think it's good to mix it up- Commercial, and simple but not-so-comercial songs.

There is no new album by The Police. Yet. All that's coming out is a box set of material that wasn't included on the first one. I've seen the track list and it's nothing to get excited about. Just remixes (2 songs are repeated almost 6 times each!) and live material (from alive CD that came out a few years ago.

The Eagles one is the one that's got me thrilled. Although I'm hoping it's all NEW material, not the three songs that they released a couple of months sgo via Walmart. Maybe Marvin's heard something...

Jeff

From today's Billboard On-line. As usual, Henley says exactly what's on his mind:

The new Eagles studio album that has been in the works since 2003 will be out before summer, according to principal member Don

Henley. "Sometime in the next 60-90 days," Henley tells Billboard of when to expect the as-yet-untitled disc. "We want to get it out before the summer. We've had a few interruptions. We've had a few distractions. We've had several."

The last Eagles album was 1979's "The Long Run." Asked to characterize the mood of the recording sessions, Henley says, "Some days it feels good. Some days it's challenging. It's exhilarating. It's worrisome. It's joyous. It's all of these things. It's a big mixed emotions kind of thing. It always has been. It's no different from what it ever is. It's just that there are more distractions now with families and charities and lawsuits."

Two new songs, Joe Walsh's "One Day at a Time" and Glenn Frey's "No More Cloudy Days," appeared on the 2005 live DVD "Farewell 1 Tour -- Live From Melbourne," which the band released via its own Eagles Recording Co. imprint.

The day after Thanksgiving, the band repackaged the DVD with a bonus audio CD featuring "No More Cloudy Days" and two other new songs, "Fast Company" and "Do Something." This edition was available exclusively via Wal-Mart, a deal which has drawn the ire of some in the industry.

"We've gotten a lot of flack for it," Henley admits. "On the other hand, people keep on saying we need a new business model, we need a new paradigm, we need somebody to do something, so we stepped up and did something. Wal-Mart is getting their environmental and labor act together. We did our homework, and they are putting some innovative programs in place ecology-wise. They can't be any more evil than a major record label, that's the way I look at it. We'll see what happens."

Henley will be honored at the 2007 MusiCares Person of the Year dinner and concert Feb. 9 at the Los Angeles Convention Center for his professional and philanthropic achievements.

ENDQUOTE

Marv

Henley on Wal-Mart: "They can't be any more evil than a major record label, that's the way I look at it."

I love it! And he makes a great point. What is more evil than a major record label? Just ask Raspberries, Badfinger, Emmitt Rhodes, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Marv, any indication if "Hole in the World" will part of the new CD?

--Howard

Hellooo Howard! Where have you been buddy?

I have no idea about "Hole", but my guess would be that it's not going to be on the new album. That song had some really nice harmonies/melody, but was a bit monotonous for my tastes - and I actually love EVERYTHING by the Eagles.

Marv