Another album of Covers

marvin

About 12 years ago or so, Jack Blades of Night Ranger & Damn Yankees, joined up with his childhood buddy, Tommy Shaw of Styx (also of Damn Yankees) to release the album "Hallucination." I was led to this album by Andy and was pleasantly surprised at how strong a Pop/Rock album it was. Now Shaw/Blades have come together again and this time it's an album of covers titled "Influence." Here's the song list:

1. Summer Breeze (Seals & Crofts)

2. Time of the Season (Zombies)

3. Your Move (YES)

4. I Am A Rock (Simon & Garfunkel)

5. Lucky Man (ELP)

6. Sounds of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel)

7. California Dreamin’ (Mamas & Papas)

8. On a Carousel (Hollies)

9. Dirty Work (Steely Dan)

10. For What It’s Worth (Buffalo Springfield)

11. Dance With Me (Orleans)

I have heard bits and pieces of the songs,(http://www.myspace.com/shawbladesinfluence) and again I am pleasantly surprised. This has got to be the first time an album of covers has included the likes of Seals & Crofts and S&G, with ELP, YES and Orleans?!

Marv

You ever hear the RUSH [2004] covers album called 'Feedback' Marv? Surprised the heck out of me. I thought it was pretty darn fine.

1. Summertime Blues

2. Heart Full Of Soul

3. The Seeker

4. For What It's Worth

5. Shapes Of Things

6. Mr. Soul

7. Crossroads

8. Seven And Seven Is

I find it to be a very respectful interpretation of that which impressed/influenced them...without the usual RUSH over-the-top'edness that keeps me usually sitting as a pick and choose fan of their's at best. Geddy's voice can drive me pretty much bonkers. Yet sometimes...and this is one of those times...he is just great.

The most interesting "covers CD" I've heard over the past several years was a compilation from Dylan's 2002 tours - included Brown Sugar (Stones), a bevy of Warren Zevon songs (Accidentally Like A Martyr, Lawyers Guns & Money, Mutineer), Neil Young's Old Man, Henley's End Of The Innocence, Something (Beatles)....all croaked out in Bob's inimitable style!

This sounds like an extension of "Big Bang Theory" the covers album that Styx di a couple of years ago. Shaw has also appeared on various "tribute" albums over the years that are put together by Billy Sherwood. He's appeared on one for AC/DC covering "Down Payment Blues", Queen "Spread Your Wings", Kiss, "Love Gun", and Pimk Floyd, (I can't recall which song he did on that one). More recently he's appeared on one for Journey "Open Arms", and The Beatles "Daytripper"

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Eddie Money has joined the 'covers' craze. The following is taken from Classic Rock Central website:

http://www.classicrockcentral.com/index.cfm

Rock legend Eddie Money is ready to take things back to the days in which he grew up to show his kids– and other music-loving kids of all ages out there – why they call the songs he recently recorded, “classics.†His new album, WANNA GO BACK, hits stores on March 13, 2007. It pays homage to the rock of the 1960’s. Its music that 15 year old Eddie Mahoney and his band, The Grapes of Wrath, played in their live set back in the day. The great Ray Charles hit “You Don’t Know Me†is the first single off the record. Other tracks include: “Good Lovin,†“Build Me Up Buttercup,†“Jenny Take A Ride,†“Mockingbird†and more. They’re just a few of the many feel-good tracks he recorded for Wanna Go Back which is his 14th release to date.

Track listing:

1. Ain't No Mountain High Enough

2. Higher & Higher

3. You Don't Know Me

4. Baby, Now That I Found You

5. Good Lovin'

6. Expressway to Your Heart

7. Jenny Take a Ride

8. Build Me Up Buttercup

9. Land of a Thousand Dances

10. Hold on I'm Comin'

11. Mockingbird