One of my biggest regrets…

Raspbernie

...was holding a ticket to Eric's 1976 concert with the Kinks in Mtl., and having the show get cancelled.

Regarding Jellyfish, I have to plead ignorance. I've heard so much about them over the years (especially from fans of the Beach Boys). This song, "The Ghost..." is the first that I've ever heard of theirs, and I love it. Can someone educate me as to which of their album(s) might be worth purchasing? Are any of their other songs Beach Boys-influenced

Marv

mine was missing the raspberries in canton..on our way in they handed out fliers saying.."due to the illness of wally bryson,the raspberries will not be performing tonite"!!! i was devastated..saved my money up and all that stuff..glass harp headlined instead..alas..lol,chris

mine is a double-whammy.....EC's cancelled date at Avery Fisher Hall circa 1976 I guess.....and then, having scored front-row seats at Radio City Music Hall for the Dirty Dancin' Tour...Hey I'm an EC addict...and then hearing the announcement prior to the curtain being raised that he would not be performing. Damn.

Bernie, I saw Jellyfish in '93 in St. Louis at Mississippi Nights, which was a nightclub on the Landing down by the Arch. (Saw Todd Rundgren there a few years later.) Great room for seeing a live band - sadly it's no longer there, or so I'm told.

I had seen and heard live bootlegs from the Bellybutton tour, and had some idea what to expect even though they had changed personnel. Right from the get-go, they blew me away - their live vocals were staggering, in a Queen-meets-the-Beach Boys ornate quality that didn't keep them from rockin' the house. Thank goodness I have a nice collection of live video and the now quite rare Fan Club box set to remind me how impressive they were. I'm truly sorry you didn't get to experience them in person...but if it's any consolation, I've never seen Raspberries live!

Regarding Jellyfish, I have to plead ignorance. I've heard so much about them over the years (especially from fans of the Beach Boys). This song, "The Ghost..." is the first that I've ever heard of theirs, and I love it. Can someone educate me as to which of their album(s) might be worth purchasing? Are any of their other songs Beach Boys-influenced

Marv

Marv, as they only had two studio albums, I would highly recommend you take the plunge and acquire both. Titles are Bellybutton and Spilt Milk. Each should easily be found for around $10, perhaps less.

Technically, L.E.O. is really the brainchild of singer/songwriter Bleu. Sturmer contributed to a couple songs performing and writing, as did other luminaries like Mike Viola, Scott Simons (formerly of The Argument), and even the brothers Hanson ("MMMBop").

I highly recommend Bleu's album Redhead, as well the L.E.O. disc Alpacas Orgling. For those unaware of the L.E.O. project, it was Bleu's idea to do a bunch of tunes that sound like Jeff Lynne & ELO - and they pull it off quite admirably. Bleu also has another "tribute" type project called Loud Lion that sounds like Def Leppard and other rock artists produced by Mutt Lange (better known as Mr. Shania Twain).

Almost forgot - Bleu's Redhead album also contains some Sturmer contributions, as well as Dan "Semisonic" Wilson.

Like marvin, I missed Eric's '76 tour when it stopped here in Chicago. (I believe Hall & Oates were with him) I didn't have tickets, plus since it was at the Chicago Theater, I couldn't get a ride as I didn't have my driver's license yet.

Jeff

You should have called me, as I was at that one.

My regret was not driving to Cleveland for the HOF solo show. I was incorrectly told by someone that was the start of a tour that would include Chicago. I still want a DVD of that show!

Have you guys checked out Andy Sturmer's newish supergroup L.E.O. ? Lots of powerpop firepower in this group. Check out "Make Me."

Bernie

That LEO is more of Bleu's project has already been mentioned, but I want to point out for any Jellyfish fans here who want to hear some more of Andy Sturmer's fantastic songwriting go to yahoogroups and do a search for the Andy Sturmer group. Once you sign up go to the files section there are quite a few demo downloads there of stuff he has worked on since then. If you get nothing more than the utterly fantastic track "The Widower's Song" it will have been time well spent. That is one gorgeous masterpiece of a song.

...was that I never got to see the original Queen in concert. They only played in Milwaukee twice, and I was too young for one and out of town for the other. Seeing Queen + Paul Rogers last year made up for it a bit, but I would have loved to have seen Freddie!

Tim

I had tickets to thier show for the 1977 tour. The day of the show, there was a HUGE blizzard and we couldn't go. I was so disappointed. When they came around again in 1980 there was no way I was gonna miss them, and I didn't. It's still one of the best shows I've ever attended...

Jeff