Eagles New LP

Brian

Brian there are a few threads here covering this topic. I've listened to the disc 3x so far, and I think that for the most part Eagles fans will like the music, the non-fans will be indifferent. I think that they could have left off about 5 songs and made a very strong single disc.

I've got it and listened just a couple times...will need to listen a few more times to solidify an opinion.

But as of now I'd say it's much better than "The Long Run" and probably can stand right along side their best albums. The song "The Long Road Out Of Eden" is a 10 minute friggin masterpiece...kind-of reminds me of Rush's "Xanadu"...seriously!

I think they came thru strong. The writing, production, harmonies etc are fabu-frickin-lous! I'm really proud of them..

The title song, "Long Road Out of Eden" is definitely a work of art. Although Frey and Schmitt are listed as co-writers, there's no doubt in my mind that lyrically this is all Henley.

Although there are some tracks that I'm not crazy about, I'd say that even the 'filler' on this new album is better than the 'filler' on "The Long Run" (i.e. "Greeks Don't Want No Freaks", "Teenage Jail")

It's growing more on me with every listen. Overall, I'd say it's a very good effort. I agree that it could have been a very strong single disc minus a few tracks, but without a record label to tell them what songs to release, they're enjoying the freedom to put out exactly what they want. Who can blame 'em?

I could live without some tracks--"I Love to Watch A Woman Dance" is a little creepy in a voyeuristic way and doesn't do much for me musically. I'm not much for the Don Henley falsetto on "Fast Company."

On the thumbs-up side, I'm digging the title track. "No More Walks in the Woods" is a worthy sequel to "Seven Bridges Road." Dig the two Joe Walsh songs. "Busy Being Fabulous" has a nice groove. And "How Long" is a home run to me.

A nice package, well worth the very reasonable $12 at Wal-Mart.

Howard

"Busy Being Fabulous" is a great song...nice to see Henley & Frey collaborate so successfully.

And I agree Marvin, the lyrics on the title track are definately Henley's (as was the lyrics of "The Last Resort"). He sees things different than I do, and he's way more cynical...but I like his lyrics a bunch. They're intelligent, insightful and lack the venom you see from bands like Green Day and many of the other artist pundits of our day. He also doesn't seem to be beholden to any certain segment of the political spectrum.

Welp, I'm more a fan of the Eagles 'rock' side, so much of this album is a little soft for me. Although I do really like "Long Road Out" and "Waiting In The Weeds", two songs that are slow, but definitely not mellow. Otherwise, it's the faster, rockier stuff for me, like How Long.

My two favorites I haven't heard anybody else mention: "Somebody" (which, when it first came on cause my wife to say "sounds like a Paul McCartney song") and "Business As Usual" (which sounds a lot like John Lennon to me...hmmm wonder why I like them?? wink ).

And I know for some folks, it's beating a dead horse, but the guitar solos throughout (except for maybe "How Long") all seem really uninspired to me, and I think they really miss Felder. His solo COMPOSING is some of the best by anybody ever, IMHO. I think he would have killed on some of these songs. Oh well. baby

Doug

And I agree, "No More Walks In The Woods" is a nice piece to open the album with...and it's a great set-up song for "How Long". I like "How Long" even better than a couple really good rockers from "On The Border" - "James Dean" and "Already Gone"....."How Long" rocks!

"Waiting In The Weeds" looks to be another quasi-masterpiece..

"Waiting In the Weeds" is a fabulous song, great lyrics, along the lines of "Heart Of the Matter."

Personally, I could have done without "Somebody."

This is a Jack Tempchin song that sounds like typical solo Glen Frey a-la "Smuggler's Blues" or "You Belong To the City."

Yes, I think adding Felder's guitar to some tracks, especially "Long Road", would have toughened up the sound considerably.

As far as Henley's lyrics lacking venom, what about the "soul-sucking world" in "Business As Usual"??!

As far as Henley's lyrics lacking venom, what about the "soul-sucking world" in "Business As Usual"??!

I'm so glad somebody else mentioned this! What a crack up! The way it comes in and sounds totally different from everything around it. Do you also hear it as an homage to the Rolling Stones' "Star F**ker" there?

Personally, I could have done without "Somebody."

This is a Jack Tempchin song that sounds like typical solo Glen Frey a-la "Smuggler's Blues" or "You Belong To the City."

Boy, I don't hear any similarity between those two songs and "Somebody", but I do agree it doesn't really sound like the Eagles. Maybe I'll go look up those Frey solo albums....

RE: "soul sucking world"..

...strong statements on the state of things does not necessarily = venom. There is a difference.

You're right James.

The majority of the Henley songs on the album ("Eden", "Business", "Fail Grasp") are lyrically very similar, and pretty much an extension of what he's been saying in his solo career since "Building the Perfect Beast." To some he comes across as a cynical, cranky old man. To me, he's a fabulous lyricist whose messages are exactly what I'd like to say in a song.

BTW, word is the Eagles CD sold 700,000+ in its first week, easily making it the most popular album in America.

Trouble is, due to Billboard's rules, an album sold by a single retailer isn't eligible for its charts.

So ... er ... apparently BRITNEY SPEARS will have the top album. Yikes!

But we all know the truth. Welcome back Eagles!

I like "Somebody", but like Marvin said it sounds like it could've come from one of his solo albums. Let's face it, Frey is not the best lyricist when he composes alone. "No more Cloudy Days" is a testamant to that. But when he gets with Henley, or even Tempchin there's a spark that ignites. "What Do I Do with My Heart" is one of my favorites so far, a Henley/Frey cowrite. When it gets towards the end of the song, and he and Henley start singing together, I got chills. More then anything, I that's what it's about. To hear these two singing together again...

Jeff

"What Do I Do With My Heart" is a very nice song indeed.

I'm going to pick at straws here, but, I have serious doubts as to how many times the 4 Eagles (Henley, Frey, Walsh and Schmitt) were all in the studio together writing / recording / playing for this album. They don't live anywhere near each other anymore, and they've all said that most of the recording was done at their respective studios. They simply did not want to be away from their families for any extended period.

I think most of the songs were emailed to each member to add their vocal / instrument parts. In this age of technology, this is something that's easy to do, but doesn't really make for a true "group" effort. Maybe it's only me, but it sure doesn't sound like Henley's drumming style on many of the songs, probably Scott Crago, and for the most part Joe's guitar sure sounds suspiciously like Steuart Smith's.

As far as the songwriting goes, those wide-eyed days when Henley and Frey really wrote together are long gone. Again this is more due to logistics than anything else.

I've just listened to the disc a few times and some of it is growing on me. "How Long" is pretty much a follow up to "Already Gone" but is pretty catchy. I'm really not digging the Steuart Smith thing at all quite honestly. He can play Nashville-style licks on tunes which is cool in a way but not for me on an Eagle record. Don Felder is sorely missed on the entire record as there are no 'signature' or memorable solos to speak of.

Part of the genius of the inner workings of the Eagles were Henley's lyrics with Frey's music and Don and Joe working out amazing memorable solos and lyrical guitar work. The vocals still sound great and the songs by outside writers seem to be the strength on the album. My prediction for the next single will be the Timothy B. Schmit vocal and Paul Carrack written tune, "I Don't Want To Hear Anymore". That's the one song that I could play on repeat.

For those of you in Cleveland on November 24th, House Of Blues, we will be adding a couple 'new' songs to the set and may have some guests in the house that night...

Paul

Interesting that many are finding a similarity between "How Long" (written by JD Souther) and "Already Gone" (written by Jack Tempchin), when in truth, "How Long" goes back to the same time period as "Already Gone." Both written way back in 1973-74.

I believe the next single is "Busy Being Fabulous", which personally I think is a fabulous choice (no pun intended). Again great lyrics and vocals by Henley.

The Eagles will be on the CMA's tomorrow night, likely playing "How Long" and maybe even "Busy."