The most memorable concert

Bessieboo

I've seen hundreds of concerts....I saw the Nerves in 1977 at the Looking Glass in Euclid Oh..they were going across the country in a station wagon..they wore matching suits just like early Raspberries...they were AWESOME [For those that don't know the Nerves were a SUPER power pop band] Also saw Ricky Nelson shortly before his death at the After Dark in Mentor Oh. It was a great show and Rick was about as nice of a guy as you will ever meet.

Streisand in the mid '60's in Vegas was very memorable. Early 70's Elton John, Chicago, ELO; a little later in the 70's, Cliff Richard. Just a few off the top of my head.

Most memorable: Raspberries at the L.A. Coliseum, Raspberries at Disneyland, Eric at the Roxy (couple of different times) and Raspberries at the HOB in Hollywood. Kirk.

Quote:
Ted there aren't a lot of people who can say that they've seen Buddy Holly in concert. That either makes you really old, or really lucky! I'll go with lucky.
Marv, actually I am both.

Buddy Holly played 3 songs as did Jerry Lee Lewis. Buddy's guitar was the only amplified instrument, the bass was an upright acoustic string that didn't project and was overpowered by the drums. The sound was disappointing but what could one expect, it was 1957.

Jerry Lee was on stage, wearing dark sun glasses, for about 10 minutes. He never said a word to the audience, walked off after his 3 songs and the concert was over. A lot of anticipation for a big letdown. Indifferent Anti-climactic, to say the least. BUT I WAS THERE! smile

• 7 years later...

Concerts that stick out: Years may be wrong, but close...

T-Rex..New Haven Coliseum.New Haven, Ct 1971

Badfinger-Strafield Hotel Ballroom...Bridgeport, Ct-1973

Raspberries...Fairfield University-1974(?)

New York Dolls...Stratfield Hotel Ballroom-1975

Wings...Philadelphia-1976(actually any Mccartney show...all 20 of them)

Elvis Presley...New Haven...1976...Had tickets to his coming show also, but he died...

The Babv's...Hartford, Ct.1980

Michael Jackson '82 or '83...Hartford Civic Center

Raspberries-B.B. Kings-NYC and Atlantic City and Highline

Queen-Thin Lizzy...Springfield Civic Center-1977

Alice Cooper-1976...New Haven Ct

Cheap Trick-Clark University---Mass.-1977

Peter and Gordon...Denny Laine...Zombies...NYC...Mike Smith Tribute Show(for many reasons but the unique fact is it started about 4 in the morning ...

Off the top of my head

• Like 1

1.  Most moving was The Raspberries, January, 2005...Chicago.  Pretty emotional when that opening film Bernie did segged into the live 2005 group jamming to "I Wanna Be With You".  Tears, goosebumps, a little embarrassing.....glad I was by myself !....   :-)

2.  Elton John, Richfield Coloseum, Cleveland, August, 1976.  He was at his showman prime. Phenomenal.

3. Status Quo, Veterans Memorial, Columbus, Ohio, 1976.  It was my first concert....I actually went to see Foghat (who were great) and this group called Status Quo was backing them up (Stampeders were the first group to play).  I was not familiar with Status Quo, but they absolutely burned down the house. The next day my friend and I went out and bought their album (now called "Blue For You") that they were touring.  I´ve bought other albums since and have become a fan.  Nobody jammed like these guys.  Nobody.

• Like 1

Concerts that stick out: Years may be wrong, but close...

T-Rex..New Haven Coliseum.New Haven, Ct 1971

Badfinger-Strafield Hotel Ballroom...Bridgeport, Ct-1973

Raspberries...Fairfield University-1974(?)

New York Dolls...Stratfield Hotel Ballroom-1975

Wings...Philadelphia-1976(actually any Mccartney show...all 20 of them)

Elvis Presley...New Haven...1976...Had tickets to his coming show also, but he died...

The Babv's...Hartford, Ct.1980

Michael Jackson '82 or '83...Hartford Civic Center

Raspberries-B.B. Kings-NYC and Atlantic City and Highline

Queen-Thin Lizzy...Springfield Civic Center-1977

Alice Cooper-1976...New Haven Ct

Cheap Trick-Clark University---Mass.-1977

Peter and Gordon...Denny Laine...Zombies...NYC...Mike Smith Tribute Show(for many reasons but the unique fact is it started about 4 in the morning ...

Off the top of my head

Dude, you are my new hero! Can I touch you?  ^_^ 

I think you've seen everyone I'd put on a list of acts I'd most love to see.

Cheryl

Bern, a couple of  funny things about some of these shows...

T-Rex was the opener for Three Dog Night and was basically, booed off the stage...They had just scored a big hit with Bang A Gong and  Bolan was great(in my book), but the crowd/performer relationship got ugly when after a few numbers, the less than enthusiastic crowd response prompted Marc to say...":We're playing our "fu**ing" hearts out up here: at least you could clap"...Followed by boos and a 15 minute version of Bang A Gong in which "fireman" came out on stage to put out the "flaming" amps...

The other strange thing was the opening act on this 3 band bill was a bongo player and an acoustic guitarist that looked like Bolan and Mickey Finn...As you might know, this was T-Rex"s style before they went electrified...To this day, I have no idea if it was them or not doing double duty at this particular show...

The Raspberries show was the McBride/McCarl version...When I learned about the show, I went and bought 9 tickets and the girl selling them to me was stupified that I wanted that many...

You could see the tension in the air between Wally and Eric, when for an encore, they did an extended version of "All Right Now" that kept going on and on...Eric was trying to conclude the song while Wally ignored him and just kept on playing...This  went on for a good 7 or 8 minutes..The next day a local newspaper proclaimed that the opening act, a regional act called The Gregory Street Band, had blown the Raspberries off the stage... crazy...I dont see how a hillbilly ensemble with a fiddler can ever generate that kind of excitement to anybody..

.A few shows later, my friend saw The Berries' in Long Island, without Wally ...I guess he had hung it up at that point...They claimed he had appendicitis...

• Like 1

15 minutes! Ha! This one clocks in at a mere 11 minutes. Still, I loved that era of live performing. Marc had to turn his own amp up because that's how you heard a guitar. From the amp! Just massive amounts of air pushing from tons of speakers. There was nothing like seeing a band play back then. Nothing! Sure, it all sounds so awesome today—mixed and all—but when a band got out on that tightrope on stage back then they really delivered! Such exciting times. Glad some of us got to experience it.

Bernie

• Like 2

WOW!!! What a clip...A hellofa better reaction in England than America...They were huge back in Britain...Boy, he had some really great stuff, like Telegram Sam, Light Of Love, The Groover, Metal Guru, Hot Love, Born To Boogie, et. al...

Still on my bucket list Bern, is Nick Gilder...I know you're a fan, too...If he ever appears around our neck of the woods, let me know....

I forgot one. Big mistake leaving this one out.  I¨ve mentioned it here before but it warrants another mention.  It was a Foghat show in 1983, Ft. Worth, Texas.

It was advertised that Foghat would be playing a rock & roll bar on the east side of Ft. Worth....just a regular ole rock & roll bar....you guys remember - chicks wearing leopard skin pants, everybody messed up on something etc. 

So I went.  I was in graduate school and went by myself ( I loved hanging with the leopard skin pants chicks  :-)    )......I was at a table right near the stage when Foghat came out.  It was very poignant as I had seen them several times headlining large venues just 3 or so years prior, and here they were playing in a crummy little rock & roll bar.  But how cool was it to be 5 feet from Lonesome Dave as he did his thing !

... and the part that really stayed with me was that even though they´d been used to playing large venues and had made zillions of dollars, Lonesome Dave still gave it everything he had at this humble little place.  He played with the energy of a mad man.  By the time they were done he had left it all out there on the stage.  What a show.

So frickin cool.  The music, the fans, humility...that´s what it is all about. 

RIP Lonesome Dave, you were one of the very best,

James

• Like 1

I forgot one. Big mistake leaving this one out.  I¨ve mentioned it here before but it warrants another mention.  It was a Foghat show in 1983, Ft. Worth, Texas.

It was advertised that Foghat would be playing a rock & roll bar on the east side of Ft. Worth....just a regular ole rock & roll bar....you guys remember - chicks wearing leopard skin pants, everybody messed up on something etc. 

So I went.  I was in graduate school and went by myself ( I loved hanging with the leopard skin pants chicks  :-)    )......I was at a table right near the stage when Foghat came out.  It was very poignant as I had seen them several times headlining large venues just 3 or so years prior, and here they were playing in a crummy little rock & roll bar.  But how cool was it to be 5 feet from Lonesome Dave as he did his thing !

... and the part that really stayed with me was that even though they´d been used to playing big venues and had made zillions of dollars, Lonesome Dave still gave it everything he had at this l humble venue.  He played with the energy of a mad man.  By the time they were done he had left it all out there on the stage.  What a show.

So frickin cool.  The music, the fans, humility...that´s what it is all about. 

RIP Lonesome Dave, you were one of the very best,

James

Foghat was an astounding live band! I first saw them in '78 and then 4 other times. You are correct about their energy! 

There is a version that still tours, but I'll never go to see them. After Lonesome Dave and Rod Price both passed it just doesn't work.

Tim

• Like 1

As for the question...most memorable concert? Here's five:

Queen opening for Mott the Hoople in their U.S. debut on Broadway in 1974.

Paul McCartney and WIngs "Venus and Mars" tour at the Garden in 1976.

George Harrison at the Garden in 1974.

Raspberries Reunion show at B.B. King's (2nd night) in 2005.

Rubinoos, Nick Lowe and Elvis Costello "Armed Forces" tour in NYC in 1979.

Bernie

• Like 1