Album Trifectas!!!

Keith Nivan

marvin said:

STEVIE WONDER (how about throwing "Songs In the Key of Life" and "Hotter Than July" in the mix?)

ELVIS COSTELLO (I'd include "My Aim Is True" in the mix)

the only thing is, with "My Aim..." it's not as impressive, although it's right there (just like your Bruce trifecta... you could start w/ the first... but #2,3,4 is really the HIGH MARK...

w/ Stevie you could go to "Songs..." but after that he's spotty or just a little soft... if i had a choice i would go earlier to "Music Of My Mind" and "Where I'm Coming From"... but the three i picked are where he reaches his creative peak...

Album Trifectas...how about...

Boston
Boston
Dont Look Back
Third Stage

Phil Collins
Face Value
Hello I Must Be Going
No Jacket Required

Genesis
Duke
Abacab
Genesis

Rush
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Signals

Beatles
Please Please Me
With The Beatles
A Hard Days Night

Deep Purple
Machine Head
Who Do We Think We Are
Made In Japan

Michael Jackson
Off The Wall
Thriller
Bad

Billy Joel
The Stranger
52nd Street
Glass Houses

Led Zeppelin
I
II
III

Peter Gabriel
Security
So
Us

Police
Zenyatta Mendatta
Ghost In The Machine
Synchronicity

• 15 years later...
On 12/31/2005 at 11:30 PM, LC said:

Ahh, a different kind of Trifecta. Good stuff.

Your examples are right on, with the potential for other Beatles Trifectas. The original order of the U.S. LPs confuses things today (because Capitol's first CD reissues came out in the original British order). Since your Beatles example sticks with the original order, I'll offer up Hard Day's Night/Beatles For Sale/Help! -- can't go wrong there.

I'd also say (discounting compilations and live albums):

--Beach Boys' Little Deuce Coupe/Shutdown Vol. 2/All Summer Long (although it's tough to leave out the album that came just before these three: Surfer Girl, with that timeless title track---the best harmony-vocal song ever).

--Bob Dylan: Bringing It All Back Home/Highway 61 Revisited/Blonde on Blonde

--Rolling Stones: Beggars Banquet/Let It Bleed (w/ "Gimme Shelter")/Sticky Fingers.

--Fleetwood Mac: Fleetwood Mac/Rumours/Tusk.

--And, of course, we don't think we can leave off Eric Carmen/Boats Against the Current/Change of Heart, do we?

Sustained brilliance over a three-album stretch isn't as easy one would think. To wit:

* Yellow Submarine came out between The White Album and Abbey Road and prevents a Tri there (in my book).

* The Beach Boys' Concert album (from 1964) ruined it for Beach Boys Today! and Summer Days-Summer Nights. Also, Smiley Smile (interesting but unfinished) ruined a Tri for Pet Sounds and Wild Honey.

* And John Lennon's Sometime in NY City came after Plastic Ono Band and Imagine -- so sorry, no Trifecta.

Fifteen years later, I've gotta make things right with these additional trifecta LP releases:

• BEATLES (per U.S. releases): Rubber Soul, Yesterday and Today, Revolver

• BEATLES: Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album

• BEATLES: Abbey Road, Let It Be, Hey Jude**

** Only partially cheating: This is that 1970 compilation of career-spanning studio recordings that were never on studio albums. Released as a CD, finally, in the mid 2000s, it's a killer record. 

• PAUL McCARTNEY & WINGS: Red Rose Speedway, Band on the Run, Venus and Mars

• PAUL McCARTNEY & WINGS:  Wings Over America, London Town, Back to the Egg

• PAUL McCARTNEY: Driving Rain, Back in the U.S., Chaos and Creation in the Backyard

• JOHN STEWART: California Bloodlines, Willard, Lonesome Picker Rides Again

• JOHN STEWART: Bombs Away Dream Babies, Dream Babies Go Hollywood, Blondes

• WORLD PARTY: Goodbye Jumbo, Bang!, Egyptology