Mccartney album review

Lew Bundles

Let's see, he's 65, John O, so you'd like to see the next McCartney albums come when he's 70 and 75. I bet his fans would love that kind of a schedule....

Hey, the minute an artist gets into that mode, he's got legions of fans POed because he's not doing something new every two years. (Ask Eric about that --- how many times have board members razzed him because he hasn't been putting out solo albums more frequently? Jackson Browne fans say the same thing.) Essentially, the musical artist just ain't gonna please all the people all the time. There will always be jeers from the peanut gallery. And like Ricky Nelson said, You can't please everyone, so you gotta please yourself.

My two cents to Paul would be a little different than yours: Write what you want, when you want it, and release it in the form you want. You've earned that right. If it's every 5 years, great. If it's every 6 months, great.

If fans don't dig it, they can keep their wallets closed.... In this day and age, we can sample the hell out of new material and make a much more informed buying decision than, say, when Pipes of Peace came out. (There's one that even I would have left at the store!)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay ...no more Paul loves money stuff. I think maybe his motivation for releasing records so often is more likely due to being more aware of his mortality...he has lost parents,bandmates,spouse,etc before their time.If there is only one or two great songs every couple of years coming from Macca...so be it. 'Fine Line' was a excellent song...'Hope Of Deliverence' was a GREAT song...every once in a while coming up with those is bonus to his 60s and 70s stuff. I'll take it.

"Let's see, he's 65, John O, so you'd like to see the next McCartney albums come when he's 70 and 75. I bet his fans would love that kind of a schedule...."

No, actually, LC, if I had my druthers, I'd prefer that he would have started such a schedule back in the 70's, not his 70's!....by now, we might have had 7-8 all-time great albums, instead of maybe 20 decent to mediocre ones.

And I just returned from a local Borders, where I sampled the first minute or so of every cut on Paul's new CD...and I will keep my wallet closed (and, very sadly, I think it's getting to the point where it isn't his fans who aren't buying -it's his ex-fans, those who used to defend everything he did.....not that it matters - there are more than enough other ones...)

"My two cents to Paul would be a little different than yours: Write what you want, when you want it, and release it in the form you want. You've earned that right. If it's every 5 years, great. If it's every 6 months, great."

Congrats, because you got your wish! This is exactly what he's done, IMO.

Also......regarding Paul at age 70 and 75... He'll still be touring then if he's physically able! (and why the Hell not?)....and still getting standing ovations for playing Beatles songs, and full restrooms in the councourses/lobbies when he's playing the tunes from his latest offering!

To expand on LC's idea, I think it should be tag-team for WAB. In one corner, the bearded-to-be-fearded duo of Lee and Mitch. In the other corner (wearing tights and a cape), the tongue lashing duo of Lew (I'm too sexy for my cape) Bundles and Tommy (I have friends) Tunes. Let's get ready to rumble!

Kirk.

Hey Kirk.

What the hell are you doing invoving me in this mess. I haven't posted in this thread or even heard the new McCartney CD yet (other than the one TUNE) But you had to push my button.You don't wanna start trouble with me guy or you'll be meeting some of those "friends".-TT

Also......regarding Paul at age 70 and 75... He'll still be touring then if he's physically able! (and why the Hell not?)....and still getting standing ovations for playing Beatles songs, and full restrooms in the councourses/lobbies when he's playing the tunes from his latest offering!

Actually, the restrooms might not be so packed, John O. A lot of his fans will have their Depends on, and won't have to miss a beat. :-)

PS: Tunes, isn't it a little bit flattering be remembered in a thread in which you haven't contributed?

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnO:

Actually, the restrooms might not be so packed, John O. A lot of his fans will have their Depends on, and won't have to miss a beat. :-)

PS: Tunes, isn't it a little bit flattering be remembered in a thread in which you haven't contributed?

Is LC right Kirk? Are you trying to flatter me?

"Actually, the restrooms might not be so packed, John O. A lot of his fans will have their Depends on, and won't have to miss a beat. :-)"

Not to mention their catheter and colostomy bags.......

Hey, when you put it that way, rock'n'roll shows might not be so much fun for us in the 2010s and 2020s....

I have a proposed solution to the Lee M/Lou B feud.......one that could avoid bloodshed!!!!!

While walking thru the door to Melody Records on Connecticut Avenue in Wash, DC yesterday, I heard a reggae version of "Don't Let Me Down" playing...Hey, I thought - a solution to the fight on ec.com!!!

Trojan put out 2 volumes of Beatles (and some Paul McC solo) tunes done reggae style!!! This could either be a real crowd-pleaser for Lou & Lee......(or, more likely, neither will like it.....)

I took a couple days off from the new McCartney album, came back to it today, and find that... I love it! I'm with Marvin on this one. All kinds of good stuff. I suspect that those who bashed it might have given it a cursory listen.... I'm not trying to persuade those folks to listen again, but I am saying it might be better than you think.

I also don't have any major issues with the lyrics. I mean, some of them are sort of throw-away, but there are some interesting twists and reflections here. The song about dying, "End of the End," is pretty moving, and such a contrast to the song that follows, "Nod Your Head" (which kind of reminds me of "Helter Skelter".... I wonder if it's a "tribute" to Heather...). "Ever-Present Past" is very Beatlesque, as you'd expect. It's very reflective, as is "That Was Me."

Ultimately, it's nice to have this "state of McCartney" album.... But I fully respect the thumbs-down opinions too.

Now, here's a bit of classic Paul if you just can't dig Memory Almost Full:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQCi6ASHVUM&mode=related&search=

By the way, has anyone else checked out Paul's web site? I hadn't spent much time there until tonight, so I just found an area called "You Tell Me," where you can type in a question and see a video response from Paul. Now, most of what you might type in will produce an "I cawn't awnser that" type of response, but if you hit on a keyword, you might get an interesting response. Try typing in "play a song," as I did, and Paul picks up a guitar and sings "Ever Present Past." Not bad.... I'd love to see Raspberries do something like this.... :-)

http://www.memoryalmostfull.com/youtellme/

"I suspect that those who bashed it might have given it a cursory listen...."

I certainly have...I listened to at least the first minute of every song on it at a Borders listening station. My experience has always been that if a song doesn't hit you or grab you within the first minute or so, you probably aren't going to like the entire song. There have been exceptions, due to wild solos or the addition of backing vocals later in the song, but.....Sorry, maybe 2-3 of these songs did it for me, which isn't a high enough ratio for me to buy it.