"KNOCK DOWN THE OL' GREY WALL"-UNDER-RATED PERFORMERS

ira

I had a tough day at work and am feeling like a real "Radical".So I thought I would name this thread after a "Badfinger" lyric rather than an "E.C." or "Raspberry" quote. I'm curious about who you all think are under-rated performers from all fields of popular culture Here are a few of my candidates:

Musical Artists: E.C.,Raspberries,Badfinger.

T.V. Show:King Of Queens,Law And Order: Criminal Intent.

Actor:Craig T. Nelson,Patricia Heaton.

Movie:No Way To Treat A Lady:Rod Steiger,Lee Remick,George Segal.

Who do you consider under-appreciated cultural-icons Ira.

Father John Corapi,- an itinerant preaching Catholic priest who eschews all political correctness and gets to the heart and truth of things....I don't agree with all of the doctrine he supports but I always learn and am inspired by his sermons.

Ralph Fiennes, Actor- excellent actor who you can count on to choose interesting and thought provoking films.

Thomas Kincaid, Artist- artist who mass produces his paintings and gets a bad rap (IMHO) for being too commercial. His stuff is beautiful and inspiring..what art is supposed to be...and by being "too commercial" he allows all people from all economic classes to own and enjoy his work.

James, Did you know that in every piece of art that Thomas Kincaid produces he hides his wife's initial in the piece. I found that fastinating and have always looked at his pieces deeper to find the initial. Sometimes it's really hard to find, but it's always there.

Incidentally one of Ralph Fiennes thought provoking films is going to be his portrayal of Voldemort, the villan in the Harry Potter series. (Not trying to be funny, that's a fact). Every great actor needs to sometimes break down and just go for the fun.

Of the Ralph Fiennes films I've seen, "Sunshine" was the masterpiece. It depicted the Jewish experience in Europe through the story of 5 generations of one fictional Jewish family. Ralph Fiennes played the lead character of each generation.

"Sunshine" is probably one of the 3-5 best movies I've ever seen. It was powerful, poignant and put me in the shoes of a Jewish person, and his travails, better than anything I've come across to date.

Sticking to the thread topic, this movie seems to be virtually an unknown, at least in my circle of acquaintances, and thus very underrated.

Phil, I'm a little familiar with Father Flaeger (sp?)... I'll forego stating a concrete opinion as I don't know enough about him...

.....but I have seen him flame up on issues and be way out of line on his positions (IMHO)....

....though there must be some things good about him as Cardinal George hasn't canned him....and Cardinal George is a gem of a dude in my book....AND my friend Phil from EC.Com gives him accolades!

I saw "Sunshine". It was a very moving movie experience and he gave an amazing performance.

The letter in Kincaid's paintings to look for is the leter "D". I once went around a gallery featuring some of his paintings and spent hours looking for the letter in them. The gallery owner asked what I was doing (maybe he thought I was casing the place, lol). When I told him he started looking too (he hadn't known that fact). Pretty soon we'd attracted a small crowd of people all searching the paintings and crying out when they found the letter. Made the whole showing kind of fun. I've always loved his paintings. He writes also as I'm sure you know. Most of his books are about characters in a small town and how they deal with life with God's help. Very warm stories. His wife has written devotions in a version of the Bible directed at women. The stories in the devotions are taken from reader's real life experiences.

Man, this serious streak is starting to scare me.

It's all your fault, I told you to stop me.

Keith-I really like them too.In fact Mike G. always does teasers to get you back after commercials Last year no- kidding- he shouted as he went to break-"Turn Your Radio Up for That Sweet Sound".This is the acid test.He's gotta be good people to recognize the sheer brilliance of that song and that phrase.-Ira.

Musical Artists: VAN DUREN, PREFAB SPROUT, ED HARCOURT, PERNICE BROTHERS, JON BRION

T.V. Show: 30SOMETHING, FREAKS & GEEKS, MY SO-CALLED LIFE

Actor: DIANE KEATON, TERESA WRIGHT, JULIE CHRISTIE, BUD CORT, CHARLES GRODIN

Movie: DINER, HAROLD & MAUDE, MAGNOLIA, BREWSTER MCLOUD