Plant Says "No" to Led Zep Tour

JohnO

Robert Plant has allegedly turned down his other former bandmates regarding a Led Zeppelin tour later this year. J.P. Jones stated earlier in at least 3 interviews that he didn't think it would (or maybe should) happen, beyond the 12/10/07 show. Sounds like Page is the only one really pushing for it....And it's not as if they need the money! (On a brighter side, that's one less arena show where tickets would be impossible to come by without paying scalper prices!)

Plant is currently touring with Alison Krauss...in fact they will be at Lake Tahoe which is only about 45 minutes from me I think sometime next month...I don't remember the exact date. But I'm not in a hurry to rush up to the lake for this one...I've watched a few of their youtube videos and really it just isn't my type of sound.

I also watched a bit of the London O2 reunion..Plant has lost his sound...his voice just isn't there anymore and in reality..what I heard was almost heartbreaking...Truthfully..I think I'd like to remember Zepplin..."The way they were." They were always one of my favorites.

Plant is still great. That he doesn't have the time...or is it the urge?...is fine with me.

Page? Plagiarizer extraordinaire. A friggin' pirate...with a good idea for sound. Given the number of times he's been sued and settled on the court room stairs.........maybe he DOES need the $$$.

Jones? Let him go on conducting his little orchestras. Heck he was doing that for Herman's Hermits [and others] 40-odd years ago.

Hey, I agree with Bob & Hollies...but it IS news, and it hadn't been posted yet...(not many Zep fans on a Raspberries board - how shocking!!! Of course, one might think the same thing about a lot of other bands/artists enthusiastically discussed in way too much length here, IMO....)

(On the other hand, I have been able to make a lot of cool trades for boots/shows via the one VG+ copy I got of the Led Sep O2 show from December....so the band's good for something!)

"I enjoyed a handful of Zep songs back in the day...And no denying the talent in the band."

My sentiments exactly....I was never a great fan of their interminably long live shows, however...and I was sick to death of the handful of tunes that every "classic rock" station felt they had to play constantly ("Stairway", "Black Dog", "Fool In The Rain", etc.).

I have been a fan of MUCH of their work along the entire ride. Some of it is kinda crummy...but...that's true of all artists. I had NO idea how many songs they 'borrowed' back in the day. Something in the vicinity of 25ish.

Still that FIRST lp was so different from all available at the time that I regard it as one of the 5 or so MOST important lps ever recorded.

As for radio and their tight-ass little playlists. Radio has always been close to completely stupid. Except for the free form/progressive FM days.

Count me as a HUGE fan of the project Plant is on right now w/Alison Krauss. I've got tickets to see them in June, and we're really looking forward to it. They did a great show together on CMT's "Crossroads" - check it out if you get the chance - their version of Black Dog is completely different from the original, but I think it's way cool sounding. So, no Zep news is good news for some of us!

I saw the Zep reunion clips on youtube and thought he sounded great! Yes, they had to lower the key for him to sing in, but he still came sounding fine.

As for the Krauss duet project, I found the CD to be a real snoozefest. There's something about her voice that I just find irritating. I saw the CMT show and shut it off after half an hour.

Jeff

Long or not, I LOVED Led Zep shows. If everyone's heart isn't in it to do it again, or if it isn't going to be good, then I agree they should skip it.

Like Marvin, I loved JPJ and thought he wasn't given enough credit for his miraculous contribution to the music.

I still love to listen to those albums.

smile --Darlene

I really enjoy Zeppelin's music, primarily due to the fact they add some really "tasty" stuff. They were definitely a few notches above the "run of the mill" rock and metal bands.

But I also believe that they need to do it right, or don't do it at all. 50% of the way just doesn't cut it, in my book.(Much as I love the Beach Boys' music---I just won't go to their shows anymore for that reason.)

As for people doing things in a key different than the original....there is some "other" band that did "Making it Easy", "Let's Pretend" and "I'm a Rocker" in a different key---and it still sounded great!!

I enjoyed a handful of Zep songs back in the day...And no denying the talent in the band. Now if the Nerves, Dictators or The Smithereens are reforming and playing Cleveland.I will be pumped!

Hollies65:

The Smithereens are touring. I've seen them several times over the last 2 years and have tickets for the April 18th show.

Here's their current itinerary:

Fri 04/18/08 Sellersville, PA Sellersville Theater 1894

Sat 06/07/08 Elmer, NJ Appel Farm Arts & Music Center

Sat 06/14/08 Alexandria, VA Oronoco Bay Park

Sat 07/05/08 Hoffman Estates, IL TBA

Sat 11/29/08 Chicago, IL Beverly Arts Center

They still sound great; although you might not recognize the lead singer. He's gained an enormous amount of weight.

Rich

I saw the Page & Plant tour a few years back and they were great. Led Zeppelin is great and I have all their albums bought them when they first came out on cd. Big fan would have been great to see them in concert they are on a short list of bands I never saw in concert.... anyone that doesnt like any Led Zeppelin songs is not a fan of rock music.