music from Holland

wimvriezen

Wim - One of my all time favorite bands is The Outsiders from Holland, who were big there and in Europe from around '64-'69....a Stones/Pretty Things-influenced, hard rockin' band, whose 3rd album "C.Q." is a garage/psych classic! No Billboard-charted hits, but an excellent band just the same!

There was a studio band called "Stars on 45" that did a Beatles Medley in like 1981 that was just unbelievable! They also did an album called 'Stars on Long Play". It seems they did a couple of different Beatle Medleys....but one song just melted into another and I just thought it was wonderful being such a Beatle fan.

Not sure of any other ones. I only have spent 2 days in Holland and that was Amsterdam in 1972. I was very impressed how many Dutch citizens spoke English. Myself and another American got tired of waiting at stoplights to walk across that we just walked at one on the red. We figured the policeman might say something but we would play dumb and shrug our shoulders. Well.. he comes over and says..."Boys that is a red light and you do not cross the street when it is on!". We both looked at each other and thought ....WOW..these guys speak perfect English....better watch it. HA ....I assume most of the Dutch artists speak and sing perfect English. I always wondered why more of them did not hit it big in the U.S. Every single Dutch kid I met during that European trip spoke perfect English almost with no accent. I am still impressed.

Phil

Being of Dutch descent (I'm just quiet about it), I used to play a lot of stuff from Radio Netherlands on my radio show. In particular, I used to play a song called "In the Dutch Mountains" by The Nits (also a Dutch band, of course).

My Dad liked the singing of Heintje and still has one of Heintje's albums, but that wasn't really my style.

Sterling/Phil - "Stars On" was indeed a Dutch studio band...I think the guy's name was Jaap Eggermont. In addition to the Beatles medley, they did medleys of the Rolling Stones, Stevie Wonder, Abba...3 albums in total, I think.

My sister had an album by Boudewijn de Groot - whatever happened to him? I remember the album cover - he had really long hair and looked like one of my Dutch cousins.

Wim - One of my all time favorite bands is The Outsiders from Holland, who were big there and in Europe from around '64-'69....a Stones/Pretty Things-influenced, hard rockin' band, whose 3rd album "C.Q." is a garage/psych classic! No Billboard-charted hits, but an excellent band just the same!

You're right John, they were a great band, they came from Amsterdam while The Hague was the music city number one in the late 60's, they were a big inspiration for many groups in the later decades, and not only for the Dutch bands. Unfortunally lead singer Wally Tax died a few years ago...

There was a studio band called "Stars on 45" that did a Beatles Medley in like 1981 that was just unbelievable! They also did an album called 'Stars on Long Play". It seems they did a couple of different Beatle Medleys....but one song just melted into another and I just thought it was wonderful being such a Beatle fan.

Not sure of any other ones. I only have spent 2 days in Holland and that was Amsterdam in 1972. I was very impressed how many Dutch citizens spoke English. Myself and another American got tired of waiting at stoplights to walk across that we just walked at one on the red. We figured the policeman might say something but we would play dumb and shrug our shoulders. Well.. he comes over and says..."Boys that is a red light and you do not cross the street when it is on!". We both looked at each other and thought ....WOW..these guys speak perfect English....better watch it. HA ....I assume most of the Dutch artists speak and sing perfect English. I always wondered why more of them did not hit it big in the U.S. Every single Dutch kid I met during that European trip spoke perfect English almost with no accent. I am still impressed.

Phil

Hi Phil, yeah producer to this record "Stars on 45" was Jaap Eggermont, former drummer of the Golden Earring, the idea of a Beatles medley was stolen, but okay, he hit the charts all over the world and later on he did it again with Rolling Stones-, Stevie Wonder- and Abba medleys

Being of Dutch descent (I'm just quiet about it), I used to play a lot of stuff from Radio Netherlands on my radio show. In particular, I used to play a song called "In the Dutch Mountains" by The Nits (also a Dutch band, of course).

My Dad liked the singing of Heintje and still has one of Heintje's albums, but that wasn't really my style.

Sterling/Phil - "Stars On" was indeed a Dutch studio band...I think the guy's name was Jaap Eggermont. In addition to the Beatles medley, they did medleys of the Rolling Stones, Stevie Wonder, Abba...3 albums in total, I think.

My sister had an album by Boudewijn de Groot - whatever happened to him? I remember the album cover - he had really long hair and looked like one of my Dutch cousins.

Yes Pierre, the Nits were also very popular in Switzerland in the 80's, and "In the Dutch mountains" was very ironic, because we only have "hills" in Holland. laugh laugh...

And you know Boudewijn de Groot is still one of the greatest artists in Holland, me and my wife Tiny have been to one of his latest shows in our town Doetinchem in 2005, amazing what a carreer, for almost forty years...

Just played 'Venus' on my little radio show yesterday afternoon. Seems Eric's site here draws in radio people...

Pierre, Dan and I just to name a quick few. I've been at it since 1972 [35 years this week actually] ...so I've played almost all of the Dutch Groups mentioned in this thread...[except for the Stars on 45 -Stevie Wonder Medley...which I assume is as well done as their others...]

Just played 'Venus' on my little radio show yesterday afternoon. Seems Eric's site here draws in radio people...

Pierre, Dan and I just to name a quick few. I've been at it since 1972 [35 years this week actually] ...so I've played almost all of the Dutch Groups mentioned in this thread...[except for the Stars on 45 -Stevie Wonder Medley...which I assume is as well done as their others...]

Lee: I did a radio show for 17 years. I'm currently on a sabbatical as my full-time job is becoming too full-time! But I still "think" like I have a radio show. The only thing that I didn't like was the CanCon regulations. It's not there isn't good Canadian music...it just takes a lot of work to find it (and get it into the station).

Wim - glad to hear that Boudewijn de Groot is still around. I'll have to tell my sister. I'm trying to get her to go to Holland next year and that might be a neat little incentive. I'm also glad to hear that the Swiss appreciate the Nits. I think there is a lot of friendship between the two countries (and not just my parents!).

Another couple of American chart hitting songs by Dutch Artists:

Radar love/Twilight zone/When the lady smiles-Golden Earring

Little green bag/Una paloma blanca (shame shame!)-George Baker Selection

Ma belle amie-The Tee Set

Sausolito summernights-Diesel

Want you to be mine-Kayak

Rain in May-Max Werner (drummer of Kayak,see above)

Saturday night-Herman Brood & his Wild Romance

Burning heart-Vandenberg (singer and bass-player came from my hometown Doetinchem, bass player Dick Kemper, nowadays a famous Dutch producer, was an old classmate of mine)

Amazing how George Baker could do such a great/cool song as Little Green Bag and then such a basket of crap as Paloma Blanca. The diversity is staggering...and not really in a good way.

You're right Lee, let's face it this way, they went the commercial way, number one in Holland and in several other countries with "Una Paloma Blanca"