Where were you...42 years ago tonight??

Brian

The unveiling of an English musical group on American television with long hair and loud music... I was 12 and our whole family was transfixed on our small B&W television...the next day at school, the girls ooohed and awwed...the guys wanted to be in a band!!

I was four and can still remember it like it was yesterday. I had to go over to my grandfather's house to watch it, as he had the biggest TV I knew, one of those old consoles. It had such an impact on me that I believe it is the earliest memory I have of my childhood.

I do have a trivia question, though, that I don't know the answer to. After the Beatles sang the first three songs ("All My Loving", "Till There Was You", and "She Loves You") the camera returns to Ed Sullivan. Sullivan says, "those three songs songs are dedicated to Johnny Carson, Randy Paar, and Earl Wilson."

Now, Carson, of course, I know of. Wilson, I believe was a gossip columnist back then. Who is Randy (not Jack) Paar?????? (and what affect did he have on the Beatles?)

i was 4 years old,my brother 7...it really did change our lives!!!...i remember my dad saying "these guys ca'nt sing"..and later admitted that was a mistake!!!..of course back then we did'nt have the sound and technology we do now,via monitors,good big sound systems,engineering facilities,etc....i feel for the boys what they went thru..and yet had the magic to pull the whole thing off(w/ some help from brian e.)...i still to this day do'nt have a clue what i had done w/out these fantastic PEOPLE we know as the beatles!!!!god bless them AND the raspberries!!!!! lol..chris

I was 16 and transfixed, watching it on my "slim 17" model portable television set in my room. My mom poked her head in and and looked dismayed as she asked, "What's that?" "The BEATLES!" I exclaimed. My mother's first comment was, "Don't get any ideas in your head about going gaga over those guys--keep your mind on your violin."

But it was too late. I WAS gaga over them! And my favorite, too, was Ringo. He just looked so little and "take me home" vulnerable and sweet. That always attracted me much more than an "out-there" star kind of guy. I thought Ringo was the cutest thing I'd ever seen.

And who could have imagined what would happen next?...

smile --Darlene

I was four and can still remember it like it was yesterday. I had to go over to my grandfather's house to watch it, as he had the biggest TV I knew, one of those old consoles. It had such an impact on me that I believe it is the earliest memory I have of my childhood.

I do have a trivia question, though, that I don't know the answer to. After the Beatles sang the first three songs ("All My Loving", "Till There Was You", and "She Loves You") the camera returns to Ed Sullivan. Sullivan says, "those three songs songs are dedicated to Johnny Carson, Randy Paar, and Earl Wilson."

Now, Carson, of course, I know of. Wilson, I believe was a gossip columnist back then. Who is Randy (not Jack) Paar?????? (and what affect did he have on the Beatles?)

Jack Paar had a daughter Randy, who was (is?) an actress. The only thing I know of that she was in (other than the occasional appearance on Jack's show) was as an extra in "King of Kings". I'm guessing Sullivan may have "dedicated" the songs to her to either make her feel "close" to The Beatles, or to suck up to her dad... or both happy

I was 3 and actually have a very, very faint memory of sitting in front of the TV with mom, my older sister, and a couple of my younger sisters while the Beatles played in living black-and-white.

But I didn't really absorb the Fab Four's impact for a quite a few years. In fact, the Monkees, a couple years after that, were the big thing in my family. My four sisters would lip-sync to them the way your family did the Beatles, Kathy. I remember my dad bringing home 45s of the Beatles' "Penny Lane"/"All You Need Is Love" and the Monkees' "Pleasant Valley Sunday," and my older sister and I fought over who got the Monkees record....

Well, by the time 1968 rolled around, I was in line. My 4th-grade teacher in Oswego, NY, (Mr. Wilson, I believe) actually mimeographed "Hey Jude" and made the class sing along to a record he brought in. Seeing the Beatles sing "Hey Jude" on David Frost's show (?) iced it for me: The Beatles were clearly the kings of pop/rock music.

(And THAT's why Paul McCartney still rules. Forty-two years later and he's still showing how it's done.... [i finally got to see a replay of "Helter Skelter" from the Grammies].)

As an aside...

Funny how the Beatles (and, yes, the Monkees) were so visual---their images were all over the place (TV, movies, generous advertising) and helped their aura and helped market 'em.

Conversely, the Raspberries (for me) were a radio/LP band. I never caught any of their TV appearances, and I was just a bit too young in 1972-74 to go to rock shows. (My first concert: ELO in 1977.) So I got hooked on Raspberries from the sound alone. That's all it took.

I was watching Ed Sullivan w/ my father, laughing at my older sister screaming and crying at the TV. Of course she liked Paul. Little did I know that a year later the boys would be my favorite and contribute to a change in my musical tastes including bopping around town 6 years later following bands like Raspberries, Charade, Circus, Target, etc.

I had turned 7 years of age the month before, was living in Columbus, Ohio, and my dad was stationed with the U. S. Navy in Iceland at the time (not sure who my dad ticked off to get sent there). I remember making 2-minute reel-to-reel audio tapes at the Red Cross with my mom to send dad in Iceland so he could hear our voices (a phone call, if it could be made, would have been too expensive and there was no email in those days).

Anyway, I remember my mother (who plays piano) teaching me "She Loves You" ("yeah, yeah, yeah") during the week after we watched the Sullivan show.

I reviewed a really fine hardcover book on the show written by John Leonard called "A Really Big Show" (http://www.epinions.com/content_134775148164) a couple of years ago --- I'm not sure if it's still in print, but it's worth looking for (tons of info and photos). It's sad that Sullivan went off the air in 1970, the same year Raspberries formed (I'd have loved to hear Sullivan say, "And now on our stage (screams!!!), a really, really fine group of young men from Cleveland (screams!!!), take it away Raspberries (Sullivan covering his ears amid more screams)...").

I can't see Eric changing any lyrics (or the song's title) to get "Go All The Way" on Sullivan's show (like The Stones did with "Let's Spend The Night Together") --- of course, the song *sounds* so innocent, Sullivan might not have figured out what "Go All The Way" was about (imaginary story: "NEW YORK (AP) --- Ed Sullivan denied knowing what 'Go All The Way' was about today after the band Raspberries performed the tune to an audience of 70 million on his Sunday night variety show...")

Don smile

Well...wasn't born till 1969 so.....

BUT, a similar 'Beatles' fever type feeling for me when I saw a member from ABBA hosting a show on VH1 some 7 or 8 years ago that was all about Raspberries!!! My jaw dropped to the floor! It was like finding the missing piece to a puzzle. It was like a switch got flipped in my head. My only regret was I missed the first half of the show. I was hooked. When the show was over I just sat there with mixed emotions, so glad spin yet so sad it was over. frown

The Beatles' first appearance on TV in America was a taped performance on the Jack Parr Show in January of 1964. Parr didn't care for The Beatles, so there was not the build up of publicity for their appearance like on Sullivan. It seems to me it was presented more like "Check these weirdos out!" as opposed to the group being on the show as a guest. Also, although the Parr show is often referred to as being in "prime time", I'm sure it was on well after the time slot that Sullivan had, so not nearly as many saw the show.

Ok...Ok...I was 5 months old and living in chile where we didn't even have electricity...never mind TV...

Darlene...you had a TV in your ROOM????? My kids don't even have one in 2006!!! Sounds like you were really spoiled! My family didn't get a TV till 1976....so either way, we did miss out on the whole thang!

A

I was 8 years old and living in Philadelphia. The Ed Sullivan show (like the Lawrence Welk show), were mainstay programs in our household. My father had some interest in watching the Beatles. I hadn't heard of them until that historic night (I spent most of my time playing stickball and had no idea what rock'n'roll was).

I was hooked after hearing them and seeing them shake their heads in "She Loves You." A few days later while shopping with my parents I came upon a Beatle wig. My father bought it for me and I wore it out! What a fabulous memory!

Like Kathy, I remember going to a b-day party when I was 13 and we had to lipsync and act like the Beatles. The best Beatle impersonator won a prize. Well,I was playing Ringo and I thought I did a good job, my "friend" even said so later...but she didn't want to offend one of her other friends, who she was trying to impress...so she gave the prize to her. I stopped being her friend after that. Anyway, I wasn't that impressed with them I guess...probably because EVERYONE else was so nuts over them, and I never was one for following the crowd. I mean,they were OK, but...I don't remember really being in love with them like I was for the Raspberries in the 70's.

Robin