'EY WHAT'S SO FUNNY ?

ira

I have always thought that writing a GOOD/FUNNY song was a real art. Now everyone has their own opinions of GOOD and FUNNY. To me I'm more impressed with well-constructed songs with witty lyrics, coupled with social satire,whimsical instrumentation,and maybe a little element of "Tongue In Cheek"-than I am with "Novelty Songs"-ala "Shaving Cream' or "They're Coming To Take Me Away".

IMHO-Here are 8 of my candidates for GOOD/FUNNY SONGS:

-1) Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

-2)When I'm 64.

-3)Cover Of The Rolling Stone.

-4)Sylvia's Mother.

-5)Lola.

-6)Dandy.

-7)Henry The 8th.

-8)Dang Me.

I'd love to hear from some of you about who you think writes GOOD/FUNNY SONGS and what are your favorite songs in the humorous genre.Thanks.-Ira.

Roger Miller cracks me up too. Even his titles."My Uncle Used To Love Me But She Died"."Kansas City Star-That's What I Are","England Swings Like A Pendulum Do". I'm tellin' ya humorous quality songs ain't easy to write.-Ira.

P.S.-Tangent-"Leaning On A Lamp" and "My Name Is Jack" ain't chopped liver either.

....and then there's the Bonzo Dog Band. Vivian Stanshall, Neil Innes (did some songs for Monty Python), and "Legs" Larry Smith were responsible for some truly weird stuff like:

The Intro and the Outro (not exactly a song, but funny nonetheless)

The Equestrian Statue

(I'm the) Urban Spaceman

Humanoid Boogie

Hunting Tigers Out in Indiah

---and the truly warped

Canyons of Your Mind and Mr. Apollo

The recordings are hard to find, but worth it, particularly "Tadpoles".

WHAT'S WITH ME? Any song that rhymes"etcetra" and "bettah", "Groovy" and "movie" with the earnestness annd sense of drama and urgency it obviously doesn't- deserve is a 1st place GOOD/FUNNY song in my book.The immortal "Elenore"-Ira.

Funniest original song I've heard lately is

"London Underground" by Amateur Transplants. While written about the London subway system, it could just as well have been written about NYC's MTA. (Warning: do not listen to this song around young children or if you're offended by cursing.)

"Dentist" from "Little Shop of Horrors." When the song opens, you have no idea what direction it's going in and then you hear the lyrics & it's just out and out hilarious. Great melody too.

From SNL: "Chevy's Girls," "Saccharine"

One Blotto song was already mentioned, but "She's Got a Big Boyfriend" is also VERY funny. (How can you not love lyrics like "what are the chances of getting her to spend the night at my place? Not bad but someone's gonna rearrange your face.") "We Are the Nowtones is amusing." "My Baby's the Star of a Driver's Ed Movie" always struck me as a very funny song title.

Half the country music songs have titles that are funny as heck. "Get Your Tongue Out of My Mouth 'Cos I'm Kissing You Goodbye," "How Can I Miss You If You Won't Leave?" "Take This Job and Shove It"

I thought the concept behind the Dickie Goodman records was ingenious. I especially appreciated them because back in the day when audio tape was edited using a razor blade and splicing tape, I was never very good at it.

Robert Klein's "I Can't Stop My Leg." Always a funny bit, it was recently made even funnier during his last HBO special when he performed it in Spanish, complete with Spanish dancers.

"Weird" Al Yankovic always puts a smile on my face. Even though they're very dated, Allan Sherman's records still make me laugh.

Quote:
- "Dead Skunk (In The Middle of the Road)"

by Loudin Wainwright III - You're right, Dave. That's a classic.

Another Puff by Jerry Reed (about a guy who rationalizes his cigarette smoking at the same time he is trying to quit) He does it in a talkin' blues style. It's dated (recorded in '72), but quite humorous.

"...and while I sat there forming my battle plan,

I took another puff and turned on the fan"

"Spiders and Snakes" and "Wildwood Weed/Flower?" by Jim Stafford

What was the name of the narrative song from the early 70's about a hippie guy who gets in trouble in a small southern town then talks his way out the mob scene by accusing one of the locals...then chases the crowd "one more time around the parking lot" before he speeds away...?

That was a funny song!

Quote:
What was the name of the narrative song from the early 70's about a hippie guy who gets in trouble in a small southern town then talks his way out the mob scene by accusing one of the locals...then chases the crowd "one more time around the parking lot" before he speeds away...?

Tony, I belive that was "Uneasy Rider" by Charlie Daniels.

I have a 45 that features Ray Stevens doing a dead-on parody called "I Need Your Help, Barry Manilow". It's very clever, incorporating every Manilow cliche (even the picture sleeve is a parody).

Speaking of clever parodies (and there is such a fine line between stupid and clever), I've always liked "Cheese and Onions" by the Rutles. In particular, where Neil Innes asks "Do I have to spell it out?" Whereupon he proceeds to literally spell out "Cheese and Onions".

Finally, I'm sure most of you caught the Spinal Tap reference in the preceding paragraph. The fine line between stupid and clever was certainly endangered by "Big Bottom" and its multi-bass (!) assault.

Dr Hook and the Medicine Show did a few like- "The Cover of The Rolling Stone"; "Silvia's Mother" and didn't they do a song called "The Big 10 Inch"? (They were talking about a record if I remember right.)

Aerosmith did a cover of an old blues tune called "Big 10 Inch Record" back in the '70s...

Personally, I never thought "Sylvia's Mother" was particularly funny - not intentionally, anyway. Hammy, overwrought and over the top, yes...but humorous? Not so much.

Other ones I can think of off the toppa my head:

"Everytime I Eat Vegetables It Makes Me Think of You" - Ramones

"Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead" - Warren Zevon

"You Drive Me Ape (You Big Gorilla)" - The Dickies

"Boobs a Lot" - Holy Modal Rounders

"Smile Away" - Paul McCartney