WHERE were YOU Dec. 8th, 1980?

BEATNUT

One of the absolute worst days of my life..

I remember it like it was yesterday, as I do the JFK assasination. I quit my job Dec. 9th and headed for what is now known as Strawberry Fileds in Central Park.

You all will learn that BEATNUT is just a very sentimental old fool and it doesn't take much at all to bring tears to my eyes.

Anyway, I want to start this thread off with something so ironic..Howard Cosell and John Lennon on Monday Night Football talking about Rugby, Soccer futbol, and American Football..all four Beatles had solo albums climbing up the charts at the same time. Dream # 9 came off the Walls & Bridges Album..

The ironic part..years later Howard shocked the world with the passing of John on Monday Night Football. Come share your thoughts of that horrible night.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qxESM2RRIzs&feature=related

I was at a xmas party in Winnipeg. My wife's company's party. Called the radio station to get something verified...something I'd been asked at the party and wanted to confirm. Guy on the air asked me if I'd heard. Heard what?

Holy hanna!!!

Told the folks at the party what had happened and then proceeded to consume an entire bottle of glava [ or however the heck you spell it/Scotch based liquer ] The next day when I did my tribute show I was as hung over as I have EVER been.

Too hung over to remember to tape it. A VERY emotional show to say the least.

The bugger that killed him.........I hope he rots from the inside out while he's still alive.

I have yet to say his name...or type it. He doesn't deserve the recognition.

Since I'm from NYC I remember that night very vividly. I was listening to WPLJ when it was a rock station and right after a 1 hour Doors special commemorating Morrison's birthday the DJ Mark Goodman (yes the original MTV VJ) announced the shooting. I was lying in bed half asleep thinking "oh he's very important they'll save him". Next morning I forgot about hearing about the shooting until I saw the newspaper headlines on the bus while on my way to school. It was all what we talked about in school. A very bleak and dark time for just about everyone including me.

I was at Siena college watching something on our tiny little TV (no cable then) and just heard the news. The ripple effect throughout the dorm was immediate. Such sadness for days.

We just couldn't fathom why anyone would just cold bloodedly shoot someone famous with such a reputation for peace.

I will qualify this by saying I have never been a fan of the Beatles, I don't own a single album or CD. (ironic, right? that I love the Raspberries to death but don't make the connection to the Beatles..eh, go figure.)

But that day just jarred me to the core.

Now, I am all for the death penalty for a lot of reasons and I hope they keep HIM (respect to Lee) in the mental institution and properly medicated. But this guy was not a sane human being who took John's life.

If he had been, I would have no problem pulling the switch myself.

I remember sitting in my room at my parents' house, listening to Oldies' radio and hearing the news, IT wasn't as if it seemed read. I wondered how anyone could do that.

Although I had a good night's sleep, I was wandering through a mall the next day before a doctor's appointment and it still didn't seem real.

I thought, "People don't shoot celebrities!" I was walking through a plant shop and saw a nice plant I had been interesting in collecting, and bought it because I knew life was too shot not to enjoy what I still had.

Although ny father didn't like John Lennon because of the pot-smoking and possession at a nearby airport, and didn't think much of the "sleep-in" for peace, he was shocked, too!

I remember going to bed that night hearing the shooting report on NYC FM radio. I figured he was plucked and would be fine. I was astonished the next day...and basically walked around in a funk.

Later that day after class, as I interned at Bankers Trust (across from the World Trade Center)...I vividly remember some guy in the elevator commenting that the "Commie got shot". What a putz!

It was so odd to associate assasination with an artist. But it certainly was that!

John

I was at the show with friends, and had no idea about what had happened until I got home. We didnt even hear it on the radio, since all we listened to in the car back then were tapes. I walked in the door, and my Dad knew how much I liked Lennon. I could tell something was wrong, and thats when he told me.

It was surreal, I couldnt believe it had happened. I sat there in front of the TV, and was catatonic.

Jeff

I was having morning tea with work colleagues when the receptionist rushed in crying and screaming that John had been shot. We had a manager in the warehouse whose name was John and at first we thought she meant him, until she said something about the Beatles.

I had just returned a month earlier from a business trip to the Yamaha Motor Company in Japan. While I was there the Karaoke bars were all go with Beatles songs.

Here in New Zealand, John's death had the same effect on fans as everywhere else in the world I think.

Muzza cool

I was in my sister's bedroom and we were going over her lines for a school play. I was 18, she was 17. My Daddy came in the room and told us what happened as he was watching the football game and her Howard Cosell announce that Lennon was shot, dead. We had been Beatles fans since we were tiny.

We started crying - John was my sister's fave. Now, to me I don't think about it anymore. I guess if it was Paul, I'd still be upset since he was my first "love."

My sister ended up marrying (now divorced from) a "John Lennon" in the Broadway show Beatlemania. That was just a fluke, she wasn't "looking" to marrying someone who reminded her of Lennon. At least I got a great nephew who I adore from the marriage. smile

Wendy

That is a day I try not to remember. It hurts too much. Here goes.....I was watching the Miami Dolphins/New England Patriots game that Monday Night when Howard Cosell announced it on the air. I was in complete and total shock. I had the presence of mind to turn the radio on after that. I had WNEW-FM on and Vin Scelsa was on trying to make sense of it all himself. People were calling in crying and I get shivers still thinking about it. I remember lying in my bed in total darkness and my mind was completely numb. I couldn't listen to any of his music at all for awhile. It was just too painful for me. I wouldn't even pick up my guitar to play the songs that I so deeply loved. One of the saddest times of my life apart from when each of my parents passed.

Another memory I have is , the next day I taped a picture of John to the inside of the back passanger side window. I remember my boss (who was in his 40's) making fun of me for doing that...John's death affected me deeply. Somehow, I felt thing's would never be quite the same again without him in the world...

Jeff

I was working for RCA. We had an artist performing at the Whiskey that night named JACK GREEN. He had been a member of The Pretty Things. He was also a dear friend of Johns. We had taken some radio people to eat at Nick's Fishmarket on Sunset and then walked over to the Whiskey to see Jack's performance. It was horrible (atmosphere, not performance) --- the lead single off the album, Side One Cut One was called... "Murder."

Ugh... that night...