this date in history

BeatleJay

February 9, 1964. The Beatles made thier first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show. They played five songs- I Want To Hold Your Hand, This Boy, All My Loving, She Loves You, and I Saw Her Standing There. George had the flu, and had to be 'medicated' before the show.

Since this happened 11 days before I was born, I have no recollection. I would like to hear yours though.

Sorry, too young to remember when it happened live, being only a bit more than 2 at the time.

But I did watch a screening of the whole show, complete with commercials, at the Museum of TV and Radio once. What really stood out was the contrast between the Beatles and every other act on the show.

But I don't remember that they played FIVE songs.

Everything instantly changed for me. Up to that point, I wanted to be a professional baseball player. The next day I joined the school orchestra and started learning to play the violin (cause it looked like Paul's bass). I started listening to the radio (could've cared less before that), begged my mom & dad for a record player and scoured TV Guide every week looking to see what musical acts were going to be on through out the week. My friends thought an alien had invaded my body. My mom had a guitar and she taught me out to play "C" & "G". Oh yeah, I remember it well laugh

I was there, like so many of us. Seeing the Ringo tour was great not just because EC played with the band the year I went, but because Ringo was probably my first "favorite rock star" when I was a kid. (What can I say? I was young and wore rings on every finger - it only made sense.)

I was already immersed in music and AM radio, so it didn't change me in that regard...and while my family watched Ed Sullivan every week, I still remember the an-tici-pation throughout that day leading up to show time. Interesting, though, that the two songs that instantly stayed with me were "IWHYH" and "SLY". To this day, I can remember hearing/seeing them very clearly. Of course, I know the others just as well now, but even after being prompted the only clear memories of that evening I have are those two.

But I also think of a long time friend whose b'day is the same date...she is a diehard Beatle fan and I'd be willing to bet she ranks that TV show as one of her best b'day gifts ever!

S*

Bessieboo can you think of any other music that hit with the dramatic force of the Beatles? I was only 4 1/2 at the time, but I've done enough reading on the subject and dug deep enough into the social and musical influence of the Beatles to offer this opinion:

There was NOTHING happening at that time that carried that level of intensity. Remember, the U.S., and the world was just getting over Elvis coming back from the Army(releasing music that was somewhat punchless compared to his 1950's output), Kennedy's asassination, and music fare that was lighter (with all due respect, Bobby Vee, Frankie Avalon etc). Suddenly those opening chords of "I Want To Hold Your Hand" hits you on the head like a sledgehammer, it couldn't help but stand out.

Marv

My interest was Elvis, then The Beatles, then I was buying both, mvie soundtracks of Elvis and The Beatles records.

At the same time, after that I was into the British Invasion, Gerry And The Pace Makers and many more.

As soon as I saw a british show with one the british song groups, I hurried to watch the channel show.

Ferry Cross The Mersey, those bristish movies are great with the groups.

The Mosquitos and many more.

My mom made a big deal out of it...she was pretty hip. We all sat down in front of the TV...I was hooked...I asked my mom the next day if I could grow my hair long [i had a crew cut]and she gave the thumbs up.Though only 5 years old it was a tremendous point in my life. The song I remember most vividly was 'All My Loving'.. it was the sound of John's rhythm guitar that I loved....I remember it like it was yesterday...I remember the radio was always playing 'We'll Sing In The Sunshine' and 'Walk Right In' constantly [both great songs] prior to the Sullivan show...nothing but British Invasion after that....It was GREAT!