"..I'm not in it for the money..

marvin

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr E have you ever heard Vince's take on "Surf's Up"? I didn't think anyone other than Carl Wilson could hit those notes. Vince proved me wrong.

I got the new 4 disc Gill set for my birthday, and I'm blown away. To think that one person could write so many strong songs over the course of a couple of years...amazing! He's already ranked as one of the finest singers, this release will give his guitar playing the attention it so richly deserves.

Rod take a cue, please!

Marv

What a great birthday present, Marvin! I just picked up the Gill set this evening for a Christmas gift. Have you listened to the acoustic record yet? I'm amazed that they can market it in some places for the price of a single CD by any other artist. I might have to go back and get another set for me.

You're starting early, Mellie. That's how I shop, one for someone else, and one for me. More things to find on the shelves, now.

Yes, Mr E, and Marv, Vince is someone who is truly talented and who wants to put out good quality songs.

Marv, I'll be checking on internet radio, because I want to see whether or not some stations mix famous with unknown artist's songs. But, I think they are separated.

I hope Rod can get a band together to do some new Rock songs. What about guitarist Ron Wood, who I think could do something? If I were him, I would concentrate on the instrumentals, then the lyric last, because there might be some good music he and his friends can create. This would get him back to playing guitar again. [Anyone heard of new songs anymore?]. Maybe there could be one or two instrumental only songs on an album. Or, just put out a two song CD. It's done all the time. Now behave yourselves, or I won't tell any Rod Stewart stories by this weekend.

great thread Marvin..... sorry i took forever to check it out (been busy here in NJ)

Bottom line is pretty simple...

all of Rod's covers albums BLOW... and do a major disservice to the originals and Rod's legacy... even though I will always rate Rod & the Faces work between 1970-1974 as important as The Stones... just check out VH1 Classic's BBC series w/ The Faces for proof

if Rod truly cared to be artistic and creative (and rediscovered his muse) he could make a great record...

But these days he's sided w/ the Clive world (call it lowest common denominator crap for the masses).... he's doesn't have it in him to give a "F**K" about pushing the envelope or creating new songs that reconnect to the artist we grew up with... plain & simple: he's VERY LAZY

And these days things aren't as bad as everyone's described, 'cause there is room for artists like Dylan & Neil Young to continue & create art on their own terms... just like any other respected artist in his or her field who won't yeild to bowing out or making poo for dummies...

Also, it's not the idea of the Rod doing covers (instead of originals) that's offensive... it's the fact that his versions suck so bad and don't even rate with the standards we would usually give such a serious artist... Bryan Ferry did an album of standards (just before Rod turned the concept into a 21st century boom market) and it's stunning...

Pat I agree with everything you say about Rod. He's doing an incredible disservice to his own history.

Mike, I don't know whether this is true or not, but apparently recently Rod and Ron Wood had talked about doing a Faces reunion with the surviving members. Maybe Rod's even sick of singing cover songs.

Marv

Marv - Within the music biz, Vince Gill's always had a rep as a monster player. I remember seeing him on public television in the early 90's, playing with Albert Lee and Danny Gatton, arguably the 2 best C&W players in the world at the time, and Vince was holding his own.

Earlier than that - I also remember seeing him live at the Warner Theater around '80 or '81, with long hair and playing with Pure Prairie League (opening for Little Feat), and my jaw dropping over a couple of solos he pulled off.

If you can, locate a copy of the "Tribute to Brian Wilson" dvd. Vince has the audience in the palm of his hand when he does "The Warmth of the Sun" and "Surf's Up." Tommy Tunes was at that show in NYC, so maybe he can offer his thoughts on Vince's singing that night.

Marv

• 5 weeks later...

Check this info from Rod taken from Rolling Stone on-line:

Quote:
"Still the Same" ebuted on the charts at Number One, which is what sets Stewart apart from contemporaries like Paul Simon, Elton John, Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones: While those legends still sell out concerts around the world, Stewart still sells records. "They're not new anymore," he says. "It's as simple as that. When you've been around the block so many times, it's hard to come up with something different. Elton -- he put so much love into that album [The Captain & the Kid] -- he told me, 'This is the one.' And I feel so sorry for him." He smiles, because Elton John, whom Stewart sometimes refers to as Sharon, has been a friendly adversary over the years. "But not too sorry for him, of course."
Thank goodness that not all the veteran performers feel the way that Rod does.

Marv

Personally, I like covers albums that call attention to more obscure or relatively forgotten works like Springsteen's album of Pete Seeger related tunes. I also love Sting's new 'Songs Form The Labyrinth", which features the songs of 17th century English composer John Dowland played on lute. It's one of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard, and certainly can't be accused of being overly commercial.

Of the more conventional covers albums, I really like the Matthew Sweet/Susanah Hoffs Under The Covers Vol. 1