Any Fans of The Stranglers or The Jam Here???

JohnO

Just saw From The Jam last night at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA - free ticket as a birthday present from a friend.

The band features Bruce Foxton (bass, vocals) and Rick Buckler (drums) of the 70s mod band The Jam, with a couple of ringers (1 guitarist/vocalist, 1 guitarist/keyboard player) filling in for Paul Weller - one of whom sounds exactly like Weller! They played about 22-23 tunes in 75 minutes - all dead-on covers of Jam songs (I say covers because Weller wrote and sang practically all of the originals). Paul W. wants no part of this reformation, and he's been making fun of his former bandmates, but these guys were great live! I know they've been selling out shows in the UK, and are planning on recording a new CD this year.

Opening act - Hugh Cornwell of The Stranglers, with a much, much younger rhythm section, doing, needless to say, mostly Stranglers tunes....odd to hear most of these old chestnuts without the organ, which was so dominant in their sound. HC is a very odd but effective guitarist, doing all of the old solos, even the keyboard ones. Very entertaining show - so rare to see two excellent acts at a club this size....(It was in the bandstand part of the club, not the main club - maybe 300-400 people showed up.)

Yeah, I know!....And I wouldn't have ordinarily thought of going, except it was free....but it actually works live, although they need to boost the volume of the guitars and the Weller ringer's voice, and tone down the bass and Foxton's voice just a tad. (Otherwise, it's an incredibly real simulation....the old Weller/Foxton harmonies are spot-on!)

There is a definite audience and market for the band's music...especially overseas, but evidently here as well, judging from the gray-haired old farts singing along (in some cases, too loudly) last night. While there weren't that many of us there, most were/are truly rabid fans! Weller himself has recognized this enough that he's now including Jam tunes in his live shows, which he refused to do for a long time.

A link to From The Jam -

http://www.noblepr.co.uk/Press_Releases/from_the_jam/from_the_jam2.htm

...and Buckler looks better bald than he did last year when he actually had some hair!

JohnO:

Have you seen Weller live in any of his incarnations - Jam, Style Council, solo?

I saw him with the Jam back in the late '70's at the Capitol Theatre in Passaic, NJ. They tore the roof off the place.

I also saw Paul Weller solo in Philadelphia and he is still an amazing performer.

If you get a chance to see him on one of his rare appearances in the US, it's well worth it.

Rich

The question is what are the legalities involving this new incarnation of The Jam. Is Weller going to take any legal action? Are they performing under the moniker The Jam? Or is it The New Jam? or The Jam 2008? Does Weller recieve a percentage from this new incarnation's touring and recording profits?

I don't think this will turn out like The Searchers or Animals or other bands who have multiplied and then fought about it.

Weller has stated in several interviews that he has no problem with Bruce and Rick playing live and using mostly his songs, although he wonders why they want to continue to dredge up the past....and he also has no intention of joining them, unless he and his family are starving to death, or words to that effect. As far as he's concerned, that part of his life was in the past, and he's moved on. (Hence, his reluctance to play any Jam songs live until the past 2-3 years...)

As I stated in two posts above (and posted a link to their site), they're calling themselves "From The Jam", or "From The Jam - Featuring Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckler", making it very clear that Paul's not appearing. Rick even has a large FTJ on his bass drumhead. I doubt that Weller owns the rights to "The Jam" name anyway.

Now - whether Weller's getting paid? Nobody's said anything publicly about it yet.....and I'm guessing they probably won't either. He will certainly be paid for any live CDs or DVDs featuring his songs....and a live CD/DVD is coming out in May, from a December London show they did.

To me, it's a win-win situation for Paul - money he otherwise wouldn't get. Great pains have been taken to ensure that everyone knows he's not affiliated with the new version of the band -and they do killer live versions of his old songs, to boot! Plus, if he can always take them to court if he hears that they're butchering his musical legacy....highly doubtful.

.......i am forever amazed at the consistanly outstanding quality of the jam from the first lp to the last.........it's a very rare thing, and if you go deep into their records, wonderful things happen!!!!!........paul weller took a soulful turn with the style council with equal sucess...............unfortunately i can't say the same for his solo records..........

Agree with Tommy about The Jam - their records and sound really evolved over time. Style Council - I liked most of their stuff, but not to the degree of most of The Jam's material.

I find PW's solo stuff very, very hit or miss, with quite a few good to very good songs, but rarely anything that just knocks me out on first listen.....but those Brits do love him! (And he looks good for 50....so does Foxton, but, unfortunately, not Buckler...)