Oscar Levant Plays Gershwin

darlene

I'm listening to my Christmas present to me--a magnificent CD of now-deceased pianist Oscar Levant playing George Gershwin. This cd presents some music I never heard before, as well as the usual Rhapsody in Blue and piano concerto.

I fell in love with Oscar Levant when I was 5 years old, watching him perform on an old late late show movie at about 2:00 AM. I've been in love with him ever since.

Having heard Gershwin play the more popular of his own works, I can honestly say that Levant absolutely surpasses Gershwin's performances by miles! The music just flows out of his fingers like liquid gold. From this cd, I can hear that Levant must have truly lived Gershwin's life more passionately than Gershwin did himself.

Levant's performances stand as the ultimate musical gift to George Gershwin, and all of us.

Anyone else out there a Gershwin or Oscar Levant fan?

smile --Darlene

• 4 weeks later...

I'm dying to find an LP recording or reissue cd of Oscar playing the Grieg Piano Concerto in A Minor. I adore that concerto, but especially the 2nd movement. The orchestra part is so incredibly beautiful that I cry whenever I play or hear it. Hearing Oscar play that concerto would be too paradisiac for words. I'm trying all over ebay, ARSCLIST and arkivmusic and other places to find one.

I would *love* to hear Eric play the Grieg.

smile --Darlene

Oh, Dar - I'm with you on the Grieg! Wish you had been with me at the show we saw on Valentine's Day: the 5 Browns came back to town. I liked them last year, but wasn't as blown away as I wanted to be. Only went this time because my piano-music-fanatic-dear-friend had to miss them the last time. The program was much more balanced this go around and I enjoyed them at least twice as much as the first time.

S*