The Feeling

marvin

Has anyone heard of this new British band called "The Feeling"? Apparently they're the latest UK flavor of the month, having hit the top of the charts with their first 5 singles. Our local newspaper reviewed their release "12 Stops and More", and gave it 4 stars. The band makes no bones about their unabashed love for melodic/pop music, influences range from McCartney to Queen to Hall & Oates. There is one song, "Sewn", on their website for listening, and it sounded good to me. Julia & Stevie, if you're reading, maybe you can enlighten me. Everyone else, let me know what you think:

http://www.thefeelingmusic.com/media/default.aspx?st=1

Marv

Bought their disc last summer as an import from the UK. It's now available in the US (finally). I hear 10cc, Supertramp, Jellyfish, and all sorts of really nice melodic pop influences in their music. Well-written, clever arrangements, and great vocal harmonies. One of my favorites from last year, now hopefully one of yours for this year!

Brian

• 3 months later...

I saw "The Feeling" at the Diana Concert a few weeks ago. They had an incredibly catchy pop song called "Love it when you call", so I took a chance and bought the album "Twelve Stops and Home".

The song was even better on CD - shades of "I Wanna Be With You", in my opinion. And yes, there is definitely a Supertramp element there. There isn't anything terribly "RAWK" about the band; it's more power pop and Britpop. The band makes no attempt to hide their Britishness, nor do they really try to exorcise their teenage demons or any other angst. I think I read somewhere that they just want to write pop hits. Fair enough - the same sentiment as "Overnight Sensation". Overall, it's an enjoyable listen but critics are restrained. After all, it's hardly primal scream therapy. Rock criticism is often a farce, anyway.

If you're a Raspberries/power pop fan who hasn't bought new music in years, this is probably a safe bet. Incidentally, the amazon.ca review says they would be good for fans of the Raspberries and Jellyfish.

• 3 weeks later...