Cheap Trick

sterling

I heard a rumor that the new record will be available for download only (no CD sale). Anyone know if this is true?

I don't think that is the case---I have the record and an accompanying press release and it makes no mention of it being download-only.

I must say, I think "Rockford" is one of Cheap Trick's finest efforts in years...very consistent from top to bottom...

Popdude wrote - "I must say, I think "Rockford" is one of Cheap Trick's finest efforts in years...very consistent from top to bottom..."

Excellent!.....and it's about time! IMO, they've put out very inconsistent and ultimately disappointing LPs/CDs for way too long...(one of my all-time faves who appeared to have used up most of their best songs over their first 4 LPs or so....and yes, I think we can all point out the occasional great song that they've done since...but few albums that were really, really good from start to finish)....

God...what's shocking is their discography. Of the 24 official releases listed on their web site, a full third of them are either live albums (At Budokan, Complete Budokan, Music For Hangovers, Silver) or comps/greatest hits/box sets (Greatest Hit, Authorized Greatest Hits, Essential, and Sex, America, Cheap Trick). This leaves 16 albums, 15 if you don't count the EP "Found All of the Parts"....15 albums in 30 years....and I haven't found myself listening numerous times to any of them since either "All Shook Up" or "One On One". Hopefully, "Rockford" will change that!

I've been a Cheap Trick fan since the first album, and have bought them all as they were released. I have to agree with most of the posts that the best studio albums were the first three. I also like Next Position Please, as there are five or six really strong songs. Their last album, Special One, was pretty weak, IMO, except for a few songs (Too Much, My Obsession, Scent of a Woman). One overlooked album is Cheap Trick, released on Red Ant in 1997. It's definitely my favorite from start to finish since Heaven Tonight. Consistently strong throughout, and it has that great song, "Say Goodbye." I'm really looking forward to hearing the new one.

About 7 or 8 years ago they played Philly doing their 3 albums in 3 nights shows. One night they played all of the first album in order, the next night In Color, then the third night Heaven Tonight. They were incredible shows. I hope they'll be around this summer.

After the first 3-4, I suspect that "Cheap Trick" (the one in '97) is also my fave. "Say Goodbye" is an all-time classic, and it also included that bonus disk with the cover of The Move's "Brontosaurus"....I definitely intend to go back and listen to "Next Position Please" again. Whenever I've thought of that LP over the years, it's usually been in terms of - that's the CT album with that awful, awful cover of the Motors' "Dancin The Night Away" on it. Popdude/John B. just reminded me......

the band i was in at the time opened up for them in a 500 seater club..at the time,they were'nt sure what their new single would be,turned out to be "the flame"..they were very nice to us and kicked ass!! robin zander is one of my fave singers..VERY underated and absolutely wails!!! lol,chris

In 1973 Cheap Trick played for the prom of the school that I eventually taught at. Unfortunately it wasnt until 10 years later that I started teaching there. Think how awesome that would have been to have Cheap Trick play at your high school prom.

Phil

"Rockford" definitely isn't going to be download only...but recently when Sony/BMG released remastered discs of "Dream Police" and "All Shook Up" they also released "Next Position Please" as download only. (And that album could surely use a remaster...)

I don't think their version of "Dancin' The Night Away" is so bad, but just not appropriate. Naturally it was forced on CT by the powers-that-were at the label.

The show here at the Myth Night Club, Maplewood MN, was outstanding. They are the real deal, pumping out a new CD every 3 years or so. Staying on the road is the main thing. Differences with Tommy P were put away nearly 20 years ago, pre Lap of Luxary. Nielson simply poured a pitcher of beer on his lap and "requested" his re-joining the band. Eric did his tour of Japan in '82 with Tom as I recall. Rockford songs can be heard on the CT web site.

I remember the first time I heard Cheap Trick. It was in 1977. I've always seen pictures of this band back then in 'Hit Parader" or "Creem" Mags. I never knew what to make of them, 2 cool guys and 2 dorks! This girl I knew from school was having a party at her house one Friday night because her parents were away or out of town or something. She had the "In Color" album. I remember I was blown away and hooked right from the first listen!!!! They're "poppy" like the Beatles but they also ROCK!!! Those songs on that album like "Hello There", "Big Eyes", "Downed", 'Oh Caroline", "So Good To See You" and the studio version of "I Want You To Want Me" are fabulous! I must of listened to that album 3 times in a row in it's entirty!! I went out the next day and bought that album and the first Cheap Trick LP. I've been a fan ever since! THEN,,,, about a month later,, I read in the Cleveland Press weekend paper that they were coming to town and opening up for the "Godz"!!!! Seeing them live for the first time was a whole other story!!!! Totally blown away!!!!!!! 29 years later and still a fan!!!

I first saw Cheap Trick live opening for Foghat at the Capital Center in Landover, MD...and I went to the show specifcally to see CT....and they were almost booed off the stage, which was totally ridiculous! (Says more about Foghat fans than anything else....)

"What are you saying about me? My first concert in the early 70's was Foghat/Wishbone Ash."

About you personally? Probably nothing. I stayed for Foghat that night, and, while far from my favorites, I enjoyed them.

About those Foghat fans who booed Cheap Trick that night? I'll just give them the benefit of the doubt, and write it off as a bad booking, those two bands together (Foghat & Cheap Trick)....although not as heinous as the geniuses who booked Hendrix as opening for the Monkees in '67 or the Ramones for Black Sabbath in '77........