Brad Delp Tribute concert

FloridaPilot

On Sunday August 19, at the Bank of America Pavilion in Boston, there will be a tribute concert for the late Brad Delp called "Come Together."

Original 70's members Barry Goudreau and Fran Sheehan are scheduled to play with Tom Scholz and Boston for the first time in almost 30 years.

Mickey Thomas of Starship and Elvin Bishop's "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" is scheduled to fill in for Brad Delp along with Michael Sweet from Stryper and Charlie Farren of Farrenheit.

Sammy Hagar and Sib Hashian were originally billed but cancelled a few days ago.

Various other acts that Brad was a part of are also scheduled to play, including Orion the Hunter (Goudreau's 1984 album with Delp contributing songwriting and backing vox), BeatleJuice (Brad's all-Beatles tribute band) and RTZ, which consisted of Delp and Goudreau along with 3 members of Peter Wolf's solo band. RTZ had a top 40 pop ballad hit in 1991 with "Until Your Love Comes Back Around."

All proceeds from the event go to charity.

I was always a huge fan of Brad Delp, from his voice to his reputed character.

I'll be going up to Boston (Staying in Nashua, NH) that weekend and going to the show.

Is anyone else from this board in the area?

-Jason

I'm surprised to see this is back on. A few months ago, it was reported as cancelled. I'm even more surprised to see Scholz is going to play with his former band mates. Cheap Trick originally was also scheduled to appear, but had to back out do to other commitments.

I too, will miss Brad's soaring vocals. I saw them live on the "Corporate America" tour a few years back. Brad was the real thing. After all these years he could still hit those jaw dropping high notes.

They were supposedly working on a new album at the time of his death. Hope anything they finished sees the light of day someday. I hope this concert gets released on DVD if they film it.

Jeff

I was/am a big Boston fan. I also was fortunate to meet Brad a few times, and he, without question, is one of the nicest people I've ever met. We've lost a great singer, no doubt, but more importantly--a great guy.

He was suffering from severe depression for years. The pressures of performing, doing his charity work, and other personal matters is what lead him to take his own life. Boston was scheduled to tour this summer, and were working on a new album at the time of his death. Supposedly, the firing of his friends, Fran and Anthony Cosmo were just one of the contributing factors.

By all accounts, he showed no signs that he was unhappy. In fact, he was due to be married while on tour this year. Just a sad, sad, story...

Jeff

Just got home from Boston and the Delp tribute.

As a lifelong huge Brad Delp fan, I had to go.

It was an extremely well-done event, though bittersweet.

The focus on celebrating his life and having fun in his honor was nice, and it was great to see the former band members and family members make peace with Tom Scholz at least for one night.

Ernie and the Automatics opened (Goudreau and Hashian's band with an auto executive) and they were better than I had anticipated.

Beatle Juice, Brad's tribute band for the last 10 years played next with a series of rotating guest vocalists. They were an excellent Fab Four cover band, and some of Brad's closest friends. Their emotional attachment to the event was evident in their playing.

Longtime Boston friends and 1987 co-tourers Farrenheit played a good set, and Delp friends Extreme played their two hits and unveiled a brand-new ode to Delp entitled "Rock & Roll Man."

Godsmack played an acoustic set- not sure of their connection to Brad.

Throughout the night, Various members of Brad's family, including his son and daughter, fiancee, and ex-wife remembered Brad and introduced the various acts.

Delp and Goudreau's early 90's band RTZ went on immediately before Boston, and played an excellent set. In fact, they were better than Boston on this night. Original keyboardist Brian Maes has an excellent voice, and pulled off remarkable renditions of Delp on RTZ's hits "Until Your Love Comes Back Around" (which he dedicated to Brad) and "Face the Music."

Perhaps the night's most powerful and emotional moment came when RTZ played a brand-new power ballad tribute song to Brad entitled "Set the Songbird Free." While not the greatest song, The performance was the most intense of the night, with Barry Goudreau fighting back tears while playing a soaring guitar lead.

Another poignant highlight was daughter Jenna Delp screening a 15 minute film about her father on the Jumbotron entitled "The Rock Star I Called Dad" which contained interviews with friends and family, home movies, and focused on the man, not the rock star.

Boston closed the show with an hour-long set featuring all current and former members of Boston, including studio and touring lineups, except Sib Hashian. Various vocalists rotated leads, including Michael Sweet of Stryper, Charlie Farren of Farrenheit, bassist Kimberly Dahme, and former Boston touring band member Curly Smith.

In an unusual and heartwarming move, Tom Scholz mentioned Brad's everlasting devotion to his fans, and in that spirit invited a Boston fan on stage to sing "Smokin'" and "Party." Somehow word had travelled about this local novice who could sing Boston songs convincingly. The chunky everyman was surprisingly capable of hitting Delp's high notes and covering the range with ease. While lacking the technical precision of top professional singers, he was pretty good and caused quite a buzz. In fact, his was the best Delp impersonation I have heard did the best justice to Brad of all the singers that night.

A couple of folks onstage had mentioned that they could feel Brad's presence there with us, and if he was there I'm sure he was happy to see one of his fans living a dream.

While Boston's set focused on the upbeat parts of their catalog in keeping with the the evening's theme of having fun as Brad would have wanted, Boston's set had an unintentional profound effect. They were tuned way down, at least a couple of keys I am guessing, to the point where it often took several extra bars to recognize their songs, and it sounded like mud soup. Even tuned down, great singers like Michael Sweet, Curly Smith, and even Kimberley Dahme were straining hard to sing Brad's songs. For the most part, Boston did not sound good performance-wise. Though that was understood and did not matter- this event was in the spirit of celebrating the man- it amplified the sense of loss and really made it hit home hard. I had expected a dozen backup vocalists and a committee of top-notch lead singers to be able to pull it off, but nobody could come close to touching Brad Delp. The void was profound.

On a lighter note, sitting right in front of me was Hybrid Ice guitarist Rusty Foulke who wrote "Magdalene" on Boston's "Walk On" album. A very nice guy who happened to have penned the best song on that otherwise disappointing record.

Somehow the loss of Brad Delp has had a big effect on me. I am thankful that Brad's family and former bandmates made this event happen.

Mickey Thomas cancelled a few days before the event, Sammy Hagar cancelled a couple weeks before. Reasons unknown.

Anthony Cosmo was not in attendance (no loss if you ask me) presumably because Tom Scholz sued him earlier this year.

Fran Cosmo was there, did not sing supposedly due to a mysterious blood vessel problem that developed in his vocal cords a couple of weeks ago. I find that weird but who knows. He was supposed to sing the last song with Boston, and his and Goudreau's 1984 band Orion the Hunter ("So You Ran") was supposed to play but were scrapped from the lineup a couple of weeks ago.

Fran did play a couple of bit parts on the guitar and was introduced by Tom at the end, along with the other former Boston members.

The hits, singles, and performance of your favorite bands are obvious.. I like picking the favorite song that wasn't released (If You Change Your Mind) for my favorite bands. Boston was dead on in my opinion with their single releases, but this song to me is the shoulda woulda coulda been a contenda and fits a Brad Delp tribute

Piano song, tenor vocals, check it out (EC?)

Click here: YouTube - Boston-A man I'll never be

After further review, the above song would be an incredible cover for the Raspberries. Eric on the opening piano solo, guitar solo windows for Wally and Billy, Paul/Jen on organ, possible vocal window for Jennifer, Jennifer sweetining the vocals, very piano based "If You Change Your Mindish"..

What the heck, a covers update from the 80's. Broaden appeal. Dedicate to Delp.

2008 tour, drop Neadles cover, and add Boston, more hip

Eric, check it out, it has you written all over it, acoustic piano turning into full band..you know your way around this scenario. Words are cool too.

Actually, A Man I'll Never Be was a single, and charted in the top 40. Excellent song.

Gary Cherone sang part of the song acapella Sunday night with the guitar player (what was extreme's guitar player's name?) playing keyboard.

Along the lines of material beyond the singles, I think Third Stage was an excellent album and very underrated and underappreciated.

It is interesting that back in the 80's, it sold twice as many copies as Don't Look Back had at the time- I believe I remember the figures as being 4 million to 2 million- yet now it is widely considered less of a classic than DLB.

While there was some thin songwriting and some cheezy lyrics, I love that record from beginning to end. Can't say the same for anything Boston has done since.

Scolz lost his way with "Walk On". He was concentrating on the "sound", and not the songwriting, which was weak, IMO. Not having Delp on the album didnt help matters either. When Delp did appear on "Corporate America" he underutilited him, by bringing Cosmo, and Kimberly Dahme on board. It was a terrible album, and you could barely hear Delp in the mix. I never understood why when tou have one of the most recognizable, and phenomonal voices available you would bring two other vocalists on board?

I enjoyed both RTZ albums, and the Goudreau/Delp album more than either of those last two Boston albums.

Jeff

"2008 tour, drop Neadles cover, and add Boston, more hip"

I assume you mean "Needles & Pins"? ANYTHING by Boston "more hip" than that? Hmmmm....Based on what criteria?

(I suspect you'll run into a lot of disagreement over that statement...and I have nothing against Boston, per se - just that I love The Beatles, Searchers, Who, Byrds, Small Faces, Hollies, etc. a whole lot more.....if the 'Berries need to do any more recent covers, they'd be better off doing some of Eric's solo material.)

I have all 3 RTZ albums. I still like a few tracks, but much of it sounds dated.

The Delp/Goudreau album from a few years ago is very listenable, and probably my favorite non-Boston Delp recording.

The Barry Goudreau 1980 solo record was laughable at times in terms of songwriting and production, but "Mean Woman Blues" is a good, funny song that has stood the test of time for me, with classic Delp vocals reminiscent of the Boston debut. Worth buying the CD reissue for. "Dreams" off of that record could've been a hit with a few more changes and thicker production.

"hip" was probably the wrong word.. I just like the song, and think the 'berries could do a great version of a Boston song, most are not familiar with.

I agree on the EC cover notion.. I still think "No Hard Feelings" with revolving lead vocals, and an extended guitar solo, would fit perfect in an encore medley, musically and of course lyrically.

Tom Scholz just posted the below on his Website, and it pretty accurately sums up the night. He also explains the amazing story of how the unknown Boston fan wound up singing onstage and pulling off 2 great Brad Delp renditions:

=================================================

WHAT A NIGHT!!!!!!!

WOW, I don't know where to begin, this was the most incredible experience I've had with BOSTON ever.

The energy at the soundcheck that morning was amazing, as it had been for days, ever since people started arriving in Boston for our part of Brad's tribute.

As soon as Michael Sweet arrived for rehearsal on Wednesday I felt that good things were going to happen. This busy, talented guy had dropped everything to help us out, and his enthusiasm and natural good will set the tone for the next five days.

Everyone who took part from that point on was overflowing with positive energy; we were all so glad to see each other. I don't mean just the old friends, but rivals, even those of us from opposite sides of lawsuits, suddenly all seemed forgotten, meaningless, so obviously trivial, not because of our common loss, but because we were just genuinely happy to see each other again and exchange some real embraces.

Some of the high points for me personally were:

Seeing Fran Sheehan, beaming, the way I remembered him 25 years ago before the CBS lawsuit, jovial and effervescent as he grabbed my hand for the first time in all those years.

Doug Huffman all the way from Oregon, smiling from ear to ear with his sweet wife; I don't think Doug stopped smiling from the day he got in till the last I saw him after the show. I bet he's still grinning. David Sikes with his whole family, all the nicest people, all the way from northern California (and he still knows the bass parts better than I do!).

Fran Cosmo the way I remember him from our days in the 90's, full of life, laughing, radiating with the joy of being part of it, ready to shred some power chords with me.

Curly Smith all the way from Arizona to sing for us at the front of the stage for once! Jim Masdea all the way 23 hours, from CHINA!!!, not just to play a song, the journey was for so much more; I know he felt all the same things I did. The moment we saw each other we were once again the closest of friends just like we were 35 years ago when we were jamming in his basement on "Foreplay." I couldn't believe how much I had missed these people.

I caught Barry's eye at sound check from his old spot at the other end of the stage and got that familiar smile as he ripped through the opening lead to "Don't Look Back," instantly I was back in 1978 looking across the stage at my old friend.

Six months ago, could anyone imagine anything that could have caused this to happen? I think Brad would agree this was the best legacy he could have left. Maybe it wasn't divine intervention, maybe it was just Brad intervention; maybe it was all of us finally catching on to what Brad was all about.

Gary, Kimberley, and Jeff all felt the same, automatically helping the others fit into our set and our space. This was not just cooperation or "getting along;" the feelings were so positive it was a genuine instant camaraderie between people who had, in many cases, never met before.

But the most amazing thing happened near the end of sound check. We had been plagued by equipment problems and miscabled gear for an hour. But finally, I was able to play the first few chords of "Don't Look Back" for Barry to get a level balance for his opening lead, and within seconds I began to hear everyone joining in to sing and play the song.

First Gary joined me on the rhythm chords, then Jeff and Dave Sikes, and soon Fran Sheehan, with Kimmy starting the vocals, then suddenly Fran Cosmo appeared next to me for the power chords we had done together hundreds of times, and as I looked across the stage everyone was up there singing and playing the song like we had been doing it all together for years.

I mean, this was the kind of thing you'd see at the end of a sappy movie and say to yourself, "yeah, that's nice, but that would never really happen!" Well, it did, and I'm still pinching myself.

At show time, the program was behind schedule, and there was not an extra second to spare. As I hear Carter Allen announce "...BOSTON," I look to my left to see Michael Sweet desperately trying to get sound from his guitar and a swarm of tech's feverishly pulling plugs in and out of his pedal board.

If this had been a normal BOSTON show we would have just begged a little extra time from the audience, and fixed the problem. But tonight, I knew we had to start if we were going to get to "Don't Look Back" before they pulled the plug on us.

Michael's guitar rig was out for the first half of the set, and he had to deal with tech's fiddling with the pedal board at this feet while he tried to get to his mic to sing the opening songs. With incredible cool he got through his songs in spite of it all, finally chucking the guitar all together for "More Than a Feeling."

His guitar playing and singing had been so good in rehearsal just the day before that both Gary and I spontaneously stopped to tell Michael that these songs had never sounded so good live as they did now with him playing. Unfortunately, no one other than us has gotten to hear that, yet.

There were massive sound and equipment problems on stage for most of the set, but somehow, it just didn't matter. It didn't dampen anyone's enthusiasm; it didn't bother anyone in the audience; unbelievably, it didn't even bother me! The night was magical, or maybe just blessed, I don't know. Especially when it came time for me to speak near the end.

Basically, I don't do public speaking. So as I expected, when I stepped up to the mic my mind simply went blank. There was a TelePrompter on the floor with some notes I had made, but I couldn't quite read it. Somehow the thoughts came to me at the right time from nowhere. Never happened before, will never happen again! It seems like there was a lot of divine intervention going on that night, and maybe all week long.

Like for instance Michael Sweet out of the blue offering to interrupt two recording projects to fill in for Brad at what had to be an impossibly busy time for him. He drove back and forth through Cape Cod traffic to rehearse with us for days. His filling in for Brad really saved us, he was literally a God send.

And then there was the fan from North Carolina blindly sending us a link to a page which played a recording for us of him singing a BOSTON song, exactly like Brad, even down to the slightest tonal changes and inflections. And unbelievably this miracle singer turns out to be just a nice, regular guy, who gets on a plane to Boston, climbs on stage with a band he's just met, and blows everybody's mind! Didn't even get a sound check! Now that you've heard Tommy DeCarlo, did anybody miss Mickey Thomas?

Now I have to start on thank you's to the dozens of people that made it possible for us to pull this off, starting with my wife, Kim, who was behind anything that I managed to accomplish, and the only reason I made it through the last three weeks, then all the numerous Boston members who put in their time, the guest singers who lent a hand, the dozens of people in the crew and behind the scenes who held our effort together, the fans who put on and attended the pre show fundraiser for the DTS Charitable Foundation, especially Bill, Melissa, and George, and also Ernie Boch Jr., sprang for the video coverage they put up on the jumbotron!

But especially I have to thank all those people who stayed late and stood for the entire set! No band has ever been treated so well; thank you all!

I'm still stunned by the unprecedented outpouring of honest to God love that I've witnessed over the last few days; for me this gathering has given me new hope for the human spirit. Thanks Brad.

Tom Scholz

PS... While we were busy getting ready for this event, Jon Viscott took it upon himself to design and put up a website for the DTS Charitable Foundation (www.DTSCF.org) entirely on his own volition, without charge. Thank you so much Jon, and please forgive me for being a little late with that thank you!

• 7 months later...

It looks like they are indeed back in the mix of things:

Band BOSTON Kicks Off Summer Tour on June 6, 2008

Remastered Greatest Hits CD Release from Sony Legacy

The legendary band BOSTON will headline the outdoor festival at Marina Park on Friday, June 6 in Thunder Bay, Ontario, at one of the Canadian stops of the Great Race 2008. The ‘round-the-globe motor sports event will be making a pit stop in Thunder Bay as a part of its centennial anniversary. The show kicks off a summer of stadium, concert and festival dates that will span the United States and Canada.

This is my city and I know everyone will really get into it. We love our 'rock' here ...Our "Rock the Fort" concert series was labeled "Best in North America" for outdoors concert events...I think some folks even have a few youtube videos from Rock the Fort posted with Sweet, Poison, Guess Who etc if you want to check out. I haven't been around because I am pretty unwell these days but I saw this and had to let everyone know how excited I am...although, not as excited as if it were "The Raspberries 2008" starting off here ;-)