Another year of Rock Hall nominations.....

hollies65

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John - To me, the three great mysteries of Iggy Pop are: (1) how he remains in that kind of shape at age 60 (although I heard a rumor about drinking blood or a pact with the Devil at one point!); (2) an explanation for his on-stage, for want of a better term, charisma - he has little apparent musical skills, yet can hold any audience in the palm of his hand; and (3) how in the Hell he can afford that Rolls Royce or Bentley that he drives around Florida in....he hasn't made that much money over the years, one would think.....

I do have a question - why is Elvis Costello and the Attractions in, but Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band not in (just Bruce himself)?

This is indeed puzzling....Costello had Clover(later to be the News)on the first album, then had the Attractions, then had the Rude 5, and then many other lineups.

Whereas Springsteen had the E Street band 2/3 to 3/4 of his career, on and off. It's great to honor Bruce, but his songs always sounded better with Max Weinberg and Clarence Clemons on board.

Okay Austin...time for a little history lesson...

dont get me wrong, i love the hollies' music. i was just sure i remembered that in 'bubblegum is the naked truth' it described them (much to my surprise) as a studio band of interchangeable members

maybe i'm remembering wrongly, but could've sworn this content was in the book - or maybe there was a little bit of both? (ie: stable & revolving/studio members?)

hollies, your music trivia bench is deep, & i will defer to your judgement here. however, you of course realize this will not happen when we are talking politics...

"Not to digress into the immature (although that's where I'm most comfortable), but my guess is that Jann Wenner has a tiny wiener. A micro-wiener if you will. But that's just a guess."

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect having a small one is not viewed all that favorably among the Boys....hopefully, Jann's partner/boyfriend isn't a size queen!

Just a comment about The Hollies - My guess is too many of the fools who do the selections for the HOF remember them more for their 70s material than for their far and away best music time frame('63-'68). Mention The Hollies to these idiots, and they're thinking "He Ain't Heavy" or "The Air That I Breathe", not "Bus Stop", or Evolution.....

Hell, the band lost me in the 70s, and they were among my all-time faves in '63-'68.....which, unfortunately, was not their best commercial period this side of the Atlantic. Had they broken up after Graham left, I think they might have had the same chance as the DC5....would have taken years, but they would eventually have gotten in. Now, I'm not sure.....

P.S. Had it been Crosby, Stills, Nash & Clarke or Hicks, they'd be in already, like Buffalo Springfield, whose induction is still a huge mystery to me...

My chief problems with the Springfield's inclusion/induction into the Hall are: (1) their lack of commercial success other than one Top 10 single; (2) they rode into the Hall on the backs of the later commercial success of Neil, Steve, CSN, CSNY, Poco, etc., which had little to do with the Springfield itself; and (3) the fact that their one classic song was a rewrite of two Moby Grape songs ("Murder In My Heart For The Judge" and "Stop Look Around" (title for the latter may not be exact - they never recorded this 2nd song, but played it live) - which Stills has admitted. Peter Lewis of the Grape even rearranged "Murder" to the point that he plays "For What It's Worth" with "Murder's" lyrics when he plays it live now, and prefaces it with the story of how Stills borrowed the song. The two bands were friends in the 60s - hence, no lawsuits - and Neil later played in The Ducks with Grape bassist Bob Mosley in the late 70's.

And I love the Springfield's music and records....but they have no more business being in the HOF than Moby Grape does....who lasted much longer!

JohnO and Steve for what it's worth (pun intended), I don't know how many articles I've read from so-called 'experts' which invariably cite the Springfield as being the "innovators" of the sounds that took over California in the 1970's. I would agree that they are in more because of what their members would go on to do in the future than what they did during the existence of Springfield.

Well, when you consider that the band spawned Poco, Manassas, Neil & Crazy Horse, Loggins & Messina, Souther Hillman Furay, Neil (solo), Stills (solo), CSN, CSNY....all of whom certainly took some of their sound from Buffalo Springfield, then I guess they could be considered "innovators". The accomplishments of Buffalo Springfield as just that entity, though? That's my argument.....

Well, when you consider that the band spawned Poco, Manassas, Neil & Crazy Horse, Loggins & Messina, Souther Hillman Furay, Neil (solo), Stills (solo), CSN, CSNY....all of whom certainly took some of their sound from Buffalo Springfield, then I guess they could be considered "innovators". The accomplishments of Buffalo Springfield as just that entity, though? That's my argument.....

No argument from me. In any case, all of us here know that this argument could be made for countless others that are in / not in the HoF.

I'm thinking that maybe the Hollies or ELO or (fill in the blank) don't carry the 'cool' tag for the voters, or maybe they are lacking artistic credibility. Help me here, I'm grasping at straws! What about Badfinger? Their big hits, "No Matter What", "Day After Day",

"Baby Blue", and "Come And Get It", still get major airplay, and that doesn't include the airplay that "Without You" gets.

Marv - Agree about ELO lacking the "cool tag"....On the other hand, The Move and Roy Wood have always had the "tag", at least among the critics. I suspect many view ELO's work as vastly inferior to The Move's (although commercially more successful)...I know I do....and I don't dislike ELO or Jeff Lynne, I just like The Move a lot better, and wonder what might have been, had Roy Wood remained in ELO....the first and only ELO album with both Lynne & Wood was just a small teaser.

Badfinger, as in life, simply doesn't have anyone looking out for them or their interests....and their close Beatles/Apple ties aren't likely helping their cause...nor the multiple suicides.

Regarding The Hollies - see my earlier post. My guess is that voters who identify them with their later work ("He Ain't Heavy", "Air That I Breathe"), and know nothing about their '63-'68 material, view them incorrectly as lightweights. During their best and most creative period, they were pretty much unknown and commercial duds over here. Also, they never really established themselves as a huge live act in the US either, which didn't help. I mentioned CSNY in an earlier post....even if Graham could have come across as a heavyweight in that band (a la Stills or Young), it would have helped considerably.

Marv - Agree about ELO lacking the "cool tag"....On the other hand, The Move and Roy Wood have always had the "tag", at least among the critics. I suspect many view ELO's work as vastly inferior to The Move's (although commercially more successful)...I know I do....and I don't dislike ELO or Jeff Lynne, I just like The Move a lot better, and wonder what might have been, had Roy Wood remained in ELO....the first and only ELO album with both Lynne & Wood was just a small teaser.

Badfinger, as in life, simply doesn't have anyone looking out for them or their interests....and their close Beatles/Apple ties aren't likely helping their cause...nor the multiple suicides.

Regarding The Hollies - see my earlier post. My guess is that voters who identify them with their later work ("He Ain't Heavy", "Air That I Breathe"), and know nothing about their '63-'68 material, view them incorrectly as lightweights. During their best and most creative period, they were pretty much unknown and commercial duds over here. Also, they never really established themselves as a huge live act in the US either, which didn't help. I mentioned CSNY in an earlier post....even if Graham could have come across as a heavyweight in that band (a la Stills or Young), it would have helped considerably.

Yes the Move definitely had the 'cool' quotient.

I guess it's hard for me to grasp the Hollies exclusion because in Canada, the Hollies have never left the airwaves. Their tours here in the 1970's were consistent sell-outs. A live album even came from one of the tours.

It's a very good list. I agree with 6 of them 100% (Replacements, Deep Purple, T.Rex, Cheap Trick, Rundgren, Alice Cooper), don't with 2 (IMO, Lou Reed's & Iggy's solo work was pretty much a shadow of what their former bands did...and none of it was that great to warrant solo inductions), and don't care one way or the other about Yes and The Guess Who. (The former to me exemplified everything that was wrong about 70s overblown prog rock. The latter had a bunch of decent hit singles...if they deserve it, so do The Hollies for their 60s hits, though...)