Beatles Covers

marvin

Nope, they never disbanded...they just replaced bassist Mike Mesaros with L.A. bassist/vocalist/good guy Severo.

Official word was that Mesaros (who is now living in San Francisco) left to help care for his infant child, but the real scoop, or so I am told, is that Mike loathed Pat Dinizio so much that he left the band.

Either way, they still sound great - I saw them in concert earlier this year and had the profound shock of walking into their dressing room and encountering Pat Dinizio in his underwear (!).

I'm looking forward to that Smithereens release. I heard about it a few weeks ago, on a music site that frequent.

Anyway, a BIG yes for Aerosmiths version of "Come Together". Like Marvin said they brought something gritty to thier arrangement that fit the song perfectly. The same can be said for thier version of "I'm Down" as well...

Jeff

ROUND 4

Today our music expert message board members will critique Elton John's version of "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds."

This one is a strong "Yes" for me. Loved the arrangement, the vocals, John L's input in the reggae section. Sure it was all a bit slick, but it was Elton during the peak of his 1970's hit-making period, and he could do no wrong.

Marv

Being a longtime Elton fan, this one gets a big thumbs up for me! I remember reading in one of the Elton books I have that when he first told John that he was going to cover "LSD" John responded with "Oh, you know of that one?" As if he was surprised that anyone knew of it.

Elton also covered "Come together" on his "One night only" DVD. Great performance of the song, but then again I'm biased! LOL

Jeff

Personally, I never really cared for any of Cocker's Beatles covers ..

i didn't check further on in the post, but Joe Cocker's first single in the UK back before he was over the top, was a great version of "I'll Cry Instead"... spot on

re: Elton's version of LSD...

I went years and years before i heard it again, which was recently and I though it sounded VERY stiff & lacking any of the grace and flow of The Beatles... not that it should sound like The Beatles, but it sounded forced...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...