Beatles Covers

marvin

Speaking of covers, I know that the merit of covering Beatles’ songs has been discussed before. That hallowed ground seems to be untouchable for many people, but I though that I’d start a discussion on some of the better-known Beatles covers and get your opinion.

Up first in Round 1, the Carpenters’ version of “Ticket to Ride.†Personally, I love the slowed-down, jazzy touches as well as the soothing harmonies. I think Richard (assuming he did all the arrangements), gave this song a nice Bacharach touch.

Any thoughts? Yes or No to this version?

Marv

Marv-Was the first hit Beatles cover on this side of the pond..."You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" by "Silkie"?-Ira.

PS-I was never a big fan of The Carpenter's version of "Ticket..."-though I do like The Carpenters.

I also thought they took the "OOMPH" out of "There's A Kind Of Hush"-and I prefer the "Hermits" version there too.

Ok that's one vote against the Carpenters. I must say that when the Carpenters' version first came out (1973?), I hated it. It was only much later when I learned to appreciate the musical touches in their version that I looked at their version in another light.

Marv

p.s. Not certain about thee first Beatles' cover on this side of the pond, but I'm sure it's Google-able.

The Carpenters' Ticket to Ride wasn't bad - a bit mystical. On an earlier album (the "Close to You" album), they also covered "Help", which was ok - still upbeat, but definitely not the same upbeat as the Beatles' version.

On the other hand, their cover of Rod Stewart's "Someone Like You" was mediocre at best - too countrified.

BMP

Round 2 of our Beatles covers features Joe Cocker's "With A Little Help From My Friends."

I can take this version in bits and pieces: love the female backing vocals, don't like most of everything else about the song. Again credit to Cocker for re-arranging basically a novelty song.

What say you?

Marv

Personally, I never really cared for any of Cocker's Beatles covers ("She Came In Through The Bathroom Window", "Something", "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away", "Let It Be")....they're all too over-the-top, both vocally and in arrangemnent, for my taste....which is a damn shame, because he's got a really great voice. I think JC's voice is a better fit for R&B songs, especially ones where we're not totally familiar with the originals. I think the best part of "With A Little Help..." is the backing vocals, which almost turn the song in a gospel-sounding direction.

Now see, I always loved Cockers versions of Beatles Songs. I loved the way he covered "You'bve got to hide your love away' in 1992, doing the same kind of arrangement as "With a little help from my friends"

I also saw that CD "Butchering the Beatles" I heard a clip of Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) doing "Revolution" and it sounded great. The other ones werent so good...

Jeff

While I also love Cheap Trick's covers (Day Tripper, Magical Mystery Tour, Cold Turkey), as well as The Flamin' Groovies' (Misery, There's A Place, Please Please Me, Boys, Slow Down, & Money), these are all pretty much faithful-to-the-originals arrangements....and I think Marv's going to want to discuss the covers that veer off just a bit....

Hi John. Love the mention of the Groovies! I'm trying to stick with the better-known Beatles covers in the hope that it will establish more conversation among everyone.

In Round 3, Aerosmith's version of "Come Together."

I'll give this one a 'yes' because I liked the way the band updated the sound, put some drive into their version, Tyler's vocal and Perry's effective guitar solo.

Marv

Marv - While I appreciate your desire to deal with just the better known covers, I also think that the Flamin' Groovies (Mark II, with Chris Wilson as lead singer) were unjustly crucified by, for want of a better term, trying to sound too much like The Beatles, Byrds, Stones, Raiders, etc., at the wrong time. Steven Van Zandt has been quoted as saying that this, ultimately, was also the Raspberries' major problem....trying to resurrect and bring back that great mid-60's sound just a little too soon after it had died off, at least commercially.

(For what it's worth, ex-Groovie Cyril Jordan's current band, Magic Christian, does great live covers of "Anytime At All", "Things We Said Today" and "Taxman".)

I'm a fan of the Groovies' work, especially "Shake Some Action", and loved their version of "Misery." I can certainly see how they would be criticized for being too derivative, but heck, is there any artist anywhere who hasn't learned from or imitated someone? Every 'original' artist was influenced by someone else.

Marv