Cheap Trick - "Rockford"

JohnO

I remember there were several postings awhile back on the new Cheap Trick CD, which was finally released yesterday. While I admit I was skeptical about the various accolades (best since "Dream Police", best in 20 years, etc.), after hearing the new CD, I agree with them!

The band, most of all, seems to have re-discovered the art of the BIG hooks in pop/rock songs. The tunes on this new one definitely have them in spades! So far, my fave is the very Lennon-esque "Oh Claire".

After 2 listenings, I'm not exactly sure where this new one will eventually stack up overall, but it will definitely be in my CD player a lot longer than their past 6-7 CDs!

just got the cd last night!! i do'nt buy too many new cds,but had to get it from what u all have said so far..it's startin to wear on me..the opening track,well,kinda undecided about that.."oh claire" is scary to say the least!!! sometimes the best stuff one has to listen to it many times before it really hits home!!! lol,chris

The opening track, to me, is just their 14th (or so) rewrite of "Hello There". For me, this CD starts slow, but builds and builds, with some of its very best tunes toward the end. There are at least 5-6 songs there, IMO, that would belong on any 2-3 disk Best Of Cheap Trick comp, which is a pretty high ratio of good'uns, compared to their past 10-12 albums. "Oh Claire", "This Time You Got It", "Give It Away", "Dream The Night Away" (which sounds like early Hollies), "All Those Years", and maybe "If It Takes A Lifetime" are all CT killers, to me...

I've been playing it non stop since I got it lasr Tuesday. "Come on, Come on, Come on" is stuck in my head continuesly.

I had the plaesure of meeting the band at a signing at Best Buy last week. While we were standing in line waiting outside for them to arrive, the limo pulled up and rick Neilsen jumped out and began offering people in the line slices of watermelon! I had a bunch of questions I wanted to ask each one of them, but of course froze when I got to the front of the line....

Jeff

I'm in love with the "Rockford" CD. I bought it last week and it remains in constant play on my stereo. How much do I love it? My son and I caught "Cars" at the theater yesterday (a great film crying out for Raspberries "car tunes") and I was playing "Rockford" on the CD player. My son loved it so much that I gave him my copy, and then I went out and bought another copy for myself --- it's that good.

Their website at http://www.cheaptrick.com is pretty cool and there's an animated advertisement for the "Rockford" album at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9icwuiQ-e4 , or you could just watch them on "Conan O'Brien" on NBC on June 29.

Don smile

http://www.epinions.com/content_235873799812

Here's the way I look at it. Cheap Trick fans like Cheap Trick. So what's Cheap Trick do? They cut out the nonsense and give their fans a freakin' Cheap Trick album. Who cares what sells? Let's face it, they're not gonna sell out the Garden, so why attempt to play to the masses? Yeah for them!

Bernie

Cheap Trick has played Louisville, Ky., three times in the past two years. Louisville merged with the surrounding county a couple of years back and we're now the 16th largest metro area in the country.

If you need a sponsor, Fifth-Third Bank seems to love power pop because they sponsored a downtown Louisville gig by Cheap Trick two years ago which allowed the band to sell tickets for $5.00 --- 7,500 people showed up.

Then they gave a free concert at the Kentucky State Fair last year in Cardinal Stadium and more than 10,000 people came, and the gig was sponsored by Fifth-Third Bank, again (if Eric Carmen still needs a sponsor for October 6, maybe that bank is an option?).

I saw that stadium performance and Cheap Trick was awesome in a one-hour show in 90-plus degree heat. Rick Nielsen may turn 60 later this year, but he is as energetic onstage as any 20-year-old (tossing guitar picks and albums into the crowd while playing guitar).

They also have evolved into a family-type event. At the end of their stadium show, they said that any kids 12 and under who hadn't caught a guitar pick should come up to the stage and get one --- that's pretty classy, I think, and it makes fans of yet another generation.

Don smile