Overnight Sensation Band Defining

CubbiefanMike

Overnight Sensantion may not have been the Raspberries biggest hit but was really a great band defining song. Here are some others... what are some of yours?

Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven

Rush - Spirit of the Radio

Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water

Genesis - Abacab

Styx - Blue Collar Man

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Aerosmith - Dream On

Rolling Stones - Start Me Up

Foreigner - Feels Like The First Time

Journey - Stone In Love

Beatles - Revolution

Boston - More than a Feeling

Sex Pistols - God Save the Queen

Nirvana - Come As You Are

Cure - Boys Dont Cry

I'm not sure what's meant by "band defining"....are we talking about a band's best recording, biggest hit, or simply the song they're most closely identified with? (and usually, the 2nd and 3rd are one and the same).

I think that "Overnight Sensation" may be the Raspberries' best song and best recording, but frankly, most people identify them a lot more closely with "Go All The Way", which, IMO, covers about as many bases regarding their influences and overall sound as "Overnight".

Agree with most choices above, although "Start Me Up", to me, only defines the 70's Stones. I'd say that "Satisfaction" more closely defines them to me, a child of the 60's. Ditto regarding the Beach Boys -I'd pick "California Girls" or "Good Vibrations" over their cover of the Regents' "Barbara Ann"....and the Beatles - I think there are literally dozens of choices I'd make instead of "Revolution" (Yesterday, Strawberry Fields, Walrus, Help!, I Want To Hold Your Hand, etc., etc., etc.) to define them, depending which period we're talking about.

Just my 2 cents....

Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes - I Don't Want to Go Home/Havin' a Party

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Doors - Hello I Love You

Martha & the Vandellas - Dancin' in the Street

Madonna - Like a Virgin

Association - Cherish

Lesley Gore - It's My Party

Ramones - I Wanna Be Sedated

Bill Haley & the Comets - Rock Around the Clock

Turtles - Happy Together

Four Seasons - Big Girls Don't Cry

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Don't Do Me Like That

3 Dog Night - Joy to the World

Grass Roots - Midnight Confessions

Huey Lewis & the News - I Want a New Drug

Meatloaf - Two Out of 3 Ain't Bad

Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On

Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You

Guess Who - American Woman

Marvin Gaye - What's Goin' On

Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

Cars - Just What I Needed

Mamas & Papas - California Dreamin

John Lennon - Imagine

George Harrison - My Sweet Lord [insert He's So Fine joke here]

Mike allow me to alter some of your choices:

Styx - Suite Madame Blue

Marv

Huh? Mike was more on track with "Blue Collar Man." Or you could go with "Babe," "The Best of Times," "Lady" or - my pick - "Come Sail Away." But "Suite Madame Blue" as Styx's defining song? No way.

I used to love the earlier Beach Boys Surfin USA, Help Me Rhonda type stuff...but then got sick of it and can't get the feel for these type songs back...

....I still love the fuller sounding stuff like "Sail On Sailor", "Sloop John Be", "Heroes & Villains" etc.

John in Canada "Suite Madame Blue" is easily the most popular Styx song as well as THE Styx song that ruled the FM airwaves in the 1970's/80's.

Marv

Gotcha. So then it's YOUR defining song by Styx, not THE defining song. Because everyone knows Canada doesn't really count. hahahahahahahaha

a few more

Piece of my Heart - Janis Joplin

Barracuda - Heart

Monkees Theme - Monkees

Jump - Van Halen

Every Breath You Take - Police

Suppers Ready - Early Genesis

Show Me the Way - Peter Frampton

Time In a Bottle - Jim Croce

Dancing Queen - Abba

Moondance - Van Morrison

Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel

not to be a heel, or to take wind out of things, but this is where i cry "foul"...

Very few bands have one song that "DEFINES" them, ESPECIALLY the Raspberries... it's what Eric fought against after the labels tried to pigeonhole them & make them remake another "Go All The Way" (which, Eric did with ease on "I Wanna Be With You")

if there is one song by a band that captures their essence at it's most rarified, SURE that's cool.... but for most bands and artists they usually FIGHT against such thinking because it boxes them in and makes their audience LESS open to experiment and expansion (i.e THE BEATLES. Neil Young)...

for the Berries, it has to be "Go All The Way" because it sets the pace & it opens the door... Sure a lot of other amazing tracks expand on it (i.e. "Ecstasy") while the ballads are of another stripe...

If anything, "Overnight Sensation" is an anomoly for the Raspberries where it's almost their most atypical song... a masterstroke, indeed, but really the closing note on a brilliant burst of ephemeral magic... and an amazing glimpse into where the band could've progressed... way too short lived...

Here's my list for the worst choices of "band defining" songs by those who posted:

this list should be retitled: top rock songs that white u.s. citizens have had ingrained in their skulls via bad radio and a lame pop culture

Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven

NO NO NO NO NO

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

GOOD SONG, BUT NOT A BAND TO BE DEFINED BY A SONG, FOR SURE

Aerosmith - Dream On

DEFINITVE POWER BALLAD?, YES... BUT NOT THE BAND'S DEFINING SONG...

Rolling Stones - Start Me Up

ONE OF THE WORST CHOICES POSSIBLE, ONLY BECAUSE IT'S BEEN SO OVERPLAYED IT COULD BE LABELED AS THE MOST USELESS STONES SONG ALIVE... PLEASE PULL OUT 'BETWEEN THE BUTTONS'...

Beatles - Revolution

THIS WAS ON THE 'WHITE ALBUM'-- GET IT???

Cure - Boys Dont Cry

NOPE

The Who - Wont Get Fooled Again

SEE PINK FLOYD COMMENT

Beach Boys - Babara ann

JEEEZES.... THIS IS SCARY.... FROM THE BAND WHO BROUGHT US 'PET SOUNDS'.... I'M IN TEARS NOW...

Elton John - Crocodile Rock

ALMOST AS BAD AS THE BEACH BOYS CHOICE... ONE OF ELTON'S WORST EARLY SINGLES..., AND THIS WAS THE FIRST 45 I EVER PURCHASED, SHAME ON ME...

Queen - We Are The Champions

HUH????

Rolling Stones - Satifaction

SEE 'START ME UP'

Beatles - Hey Jude

THE MOST UNDEFINABLE BAND....

Kinks -- Victoria

SEE PINK FLOYD COMMENT (at least you didn't choose "Lola")

Genesis - Abacab

WOT?

WHATEVER (OR THROW AWAY YOUR SINGLES AND LISTEN TO YOUR ALBUMS):

Doors - Hello I Love You

Madonna - Like a Virgin

Ramones - I Wanna Be Sedated

Turtles - Happy Together

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Don't Do Me Like That

3 Dog Night - Joy to the World

Huey Lewis & the News - I Want a New Drug

Guess Who - American Woman

Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

Cars - Just What I Needed

Mamas & Papas - California Dreamin

Monkees Theme - Monkees

Jump - Van Halen

Every Breath You Take - Police

Show Me the Way - Peter Frampton

Dancing Queen - Abba

Moondance - Van Morrison

Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel

Pat without a doubt you are more musically knowlegeable than the average music listener, and given the fact that you work in radio, you have an advantage over most. Therefore if we must lay blame, put it on the shoulders of the radio programmers (not the listener) for only feeding listeners the 'common' songs rather than the 'obscure.' Having said that, it's up to the listeners to seek out the 'B' sides.

Ah how I long for those free-form days of the 1970's.

Marv

Pierson you say you dont agree to these songs as band defining but dont give any examples of your choices. Some people dont have time to listen to albums but are open to listening to one song to get an understanding of what a group is about. Its like if you were on a desert island and were only allowed to listen to one song by some of your favorite artists... one that best defines their raw emotion power and talent.

Pierson you say you dont agree to these songs as band defining but dont give any examples of your choices. Some people dont have time to listen to albums but are open to listening to one song to get an understanding of what a group is about.

WELL, if you give someone ONE song and hope they get what the band is about, most of the bands listed would be totally misunderstood... that's my point....

you CAN'T understand Led Zeppelin by listening to "Stairway To Heaven"-- you can't understand The Kinks, Who, Pink FLoyd, Genesis, Big Star, Todd Rundgren, Joni Mitchell, Byrds, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones, Raspberries, Beatles, Move/ELO, Faces, Jethro Tull by such a crazy idea...

YOU CAN turn people on to a band by playing the most universally accepted tune, but that's not the best way to do it with classic rock bands who have so much material... especially a band like The Who, or even The Bee Gees (play a disco fan "Lemons Never Forget" and see what they say!!) who vary a lot from decade to decade...

there are bands who you can do it with and get away with it without it being a big misrepresentation:

Kiss, Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, Bad Company, Montrose, Sex Pistols, Nirvana, MC5, Stooges, Ramones, Shoes, AC/DC, Van Halen, Searchers, Dave Clark 5, Grass Roots... but I ALMOST ALWAYS find the most revealing stuff is the stuff you don't hear a lot...

Pierson - Agree with most of your choices about bands who you could identify via one song, due primarily to their having a distinctive sound (versus distinctive-sounding songs), except for.....Stooges (they sound completely different to me with Ron Asheton on guitar versus James Williamson), the Searchers (Merseybeat versus their Sire sound), and especially the Grass Roots (an entirely different sound in the early years - Where Were You When I Needed You, Let's Live For Today, Things I Should Have Said, etc., versus their top 40 processed cheese white soul later sound (Sooner or Later, Midnight Confessions, etc.). However, each of the two sounds for each of these bands are readily identifiable.

Others who, to me, can be identified by their sound (versus songs) - Jethro Tull, Deep Purple (even with their multiple singers), post-Syd Barrett Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac (of Buckingham-Nicks vintage).