The Top Canadian Albums

marvin

Last year saw the release of the book “The Top 100 Canadian Albumsâ€, a must-read for Canadian music fans or fans who want to be exposed to Canadian music. The jury selecting the albums consisted of musicians, critics and dejays across Canada. Here’s what they came up with for the Top 10:

10. American Woman – the Guess Who (released 1970)

9. Moving Pictures – Rush (released 1981)

8. Funeral – Arcade Fire (released 2004)

7. The Band – The Band (released 1969)

6. Jagged Little Pill – Alanis Morissette (released 1995)

5. Fully Completely – The Tragically Hip (released 1992)

4. Music From Big Pink – The Band (released 1968)

3. After The Gold Rush – Neil Young (released 1970)

2. Blue – Joni Mitchell (released 1970)

1. Harvest – Neil Young (released 1972)

Sorry no Pag on the list either.

Here are #20 to #11:

20. Acadie - Daniel Lanois (released 1989)

19. Whale Music - Rheostatics (released 1992)

18. Court and Spark - Joni Mitchell (released 1974)

17. 2112 - Rush (released 1976)

16. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - Neil Young (released 1969)

15. Up To Here - The Tragicall Hip (released 1989)

14. Twice Removed - Sloan (released 1994)

13. Five Days In July - Blue Rodeo (released 1993)

12. Reckless - Bryan Adams (released 1984)

11. Songs of Leonard Cohen - Leonard Cohen (released 1967)

"Moving Pictures" by Rush can't hold a candle to their "2112" album. I don't get that choice..

And speaking of Canadian albums, Burton Cummings' new one hit my mailbox yesterday. I'll have to listen three or four times before I can solidify an opinion, but after listening once I think it's strong, even better than I thought it would be. There's some (IMHO) putrid anti-American lyrics, and not enough raw piano type music, but overall good stuff.

He's definately still's got it. His voice sounds good, he wrote all 19 songs, and produced the album himself.

Bruce Cockburn "Dancing In The Dragon's Jaws" is at # 57. Bryan Adams "Reckless" is at # 12. Daniel Lanois "Acadie" is at # 20. April Wine "Electric Jewels" from 1973 is at # 73. I have 40 out of 100 Canadian CD's except Bryan Adams "Cuts Like A Knife" which I have on album. Rolling Stone magazine gave it ** (2 stars out of 5) back in April of 1983. Go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Top_100_Canadian_Albums for the rest of the charts!! Matt

My all time favorite albums aren't in the top 10? What is this world coming to??

Any sign of Burton Cummings first solo album (the one with Stand Tall on it - I don't know if it had a name)?

How about anything from Paul Janz ("Renagade Romantic" or "Trust" really deserve to be mentioned)?

Trooper? The album Hot Shots (with Raise a Little Hell on it) is a Canadian Classic! Rick Mercer uses Trooper songs all the time on his shows.

Now that I start thinking about it, there really are quite a few great Canadian albums. I don't think I'd be able to pare down the list to only 100.