How has it come to this ?

Bessieboo

I find when I want to hear a female voice these days, I am listening to country music.

I am for the most part not very interested in country music, I do not like the twangy weepy guitars.

I am just not a country girl.

But, I am listening to Alison Krauss, Shania, Mary Chapin Carpenter....

Are the any other closet country music listeners out there?

Or is it that country music is more accepting of female performers?

What other female artists are you listening to ?

Bessie,

Although I do consider Shania more country than not, I feel Allison Kraus is more along the lines of bluegrass and folk. And to me, Mary Chapin-Carpenter is a female James Taylor. Although she did win a country female vocalist of the year award, she sure don't sound "country" to me. I've seen her perform 5 times. Loved every minute of it! You're listening to good stuff! laugh

Big fan of MC Carpenter, who I think is one of the finest songwriters in any genre. Her new album, "The Calling" is superb. I would certainly agree with Mike that she's more of a folk artist along the lines of James Taylor than a 'country' artist.

Some of the others mentioned here, Joan Osborne, Kim Richey and Matraca Berg, are all well-worth seeking out.

A couple I like:

-Brad Paisley (he's the real deal), great writing, funny, good guitar work, just a great experience listening to his albums

-Allison Krause, doesn't write her own songs, it is definately blue grass music, great playing and singing...fantabulous music!

-Doyle Lawson & Quick Silver, really good Christian blue-grass

-Chely Wright, really like her album "The Metropolitan Hotel" from a couple years ago

There are plenty of female artists around. WAY TOO many as far as I'm concerned. SO MANY sound pretty much the same. The 'pop'/r&b' "divas" pretty much drive me to turn the radio OFF. Country...is not so bad...at least by comparison.

Rock never 'housed' too many females...'cause most couldn't DO IT.

One of the reasons why there are SO many female artists on top 30 radio theses days?

The guys ain't cuttin' it anymore.

And song writing has taken a complete and utter DUMP.

Formula crap.

Enough.

I saw Gretchen Wilson at a chili cook off in Pembroke Pines, last January.

She was a very hot and sexy performer, but too little too twangy-country for me. I do not like the very twangy stuff, but I do listen to a few Shaina's songs because I like to listen to spunky songs that do not make women seem so weak.

I like Alison Krauss because her voice

is like silk-velvet against bare skin ~ so beautiful.

Mary Chapin Carpenter sings the words of woman unwilling to settle.

I love her powerful words.

I was reading the comments under Alison Krauss's songs on youtube, and a idiot was talking about her nose ! Mama Cass and Janie Joplin and anyone without blond hair and big breasts will not have an easy time releasing a song... unless she is willing to go country.

What a shame

Alison Krauss is amazing. If you like her and haven't checked them out yet go find some "Nickel Creek" to listen to.

Two guys and a girl... guitar, mandolin and violin... their voices are angelic and while it has country/ bluegrass roots the singing is very pure and not too twangy.

Their first album (self titled) is my favorite.

The one female vocalist I really respect...entirely for her UNIQUE talents and her refusal to follow the 'formula' is Amy Winehouse.

Then she turns out to be a crash and burn junkie who's life seems ready to implode even as I type. She's got the talent...she just doesn't have the smarts. That doesn't make her unique...but man can SHE sing a song.

Better change her stand on 'Rehab' though. I want her to beat the 'monkey' and get back up fighting. cool

Bessie - The two female singers I've been listening to most recently are both soul singers - Bettye LaVette, who's in her early 60's, from Detroit - she had some minor hits in the 60s/70s, and has just resurrected her career over the past 3-4 years. An ungodly great voice that sounds like broken glass (and I mean that in a good way!), I consider her the best R&B/soul

singer on Earth at the moment.

The second is Sharon Jones, whose regular band the Dap-Kings has been used by Amy Winehouse and others in the studio. Sharon is an excellent soul-shouter who hasn't gotten the publicity of Winehouse yet, but should be equally big. (Not likely to happen, as Sharon's about 50, doesn't have Winehouse's looks, and isn't White....but does have the goods!) (I like Winehouse a lot, too..)

Has anyone heard Winehouse singing live?

A friend brought over her album the other week and I was blown away, just loved it... and was comparing her abilities to Aretha Franklin... until I noticed a spot that was clearly, without a doubt using pitch correction software... there was a instantaneous interval leap that would be physically impossible for the human voice...

Now, it could have been used for an effect in just that one spot, but it left me wondering just how much of it was being used and how often...

Kind of like stumbling into the "man behind the curtain" when you were really starting to dig the "wizard"

Has anyone heard Winehouse singing live?

Saw her singing at the Brit Awards live on TV about what??? 6 months ago??? She struck me as the real high-light of the show that night...and I wondered who the heck she was as I had never heard of her before. I was also impressed with Lily Allen to a slightly lesser extent. [And have subsequently purchased her latest cd too.]