Led Zep's coming back....maybe

marvin

Lost a lot of respect when I heard they ripped off a lot of their songs without giving credit to the real songwriters. Dazed and Confused was a direct rip.

Me too...to a degree. Criminal to steal songs from poor/poorly represented artists who basically got screwed out of money and credit most every inch of the way. No two ways about THAT.

On the other hand...particularly with their 1st album...they introduced a new sound that had never been heard before. THAT was not a new Yardbirds sound. That was unique. The 2nd album took it to another plane. So...while Page appears to be every bit a pirate...he was also an innovative creative entity.

And he seems to have known how to put together a pretty darned fine TEAM. Glad he didn't try to do it again. TOO TOUGH an act to follow.

"On the other hand...particularly with their 1st album...they introduced a new sound that had never been heard before."

Ahhh....except maybe on the Jeff Beck Group's "Truth", released 5 months earlier - pretty much the same combo of blues, heavy metal, acoustic, etc., played by a virtuoso guitarist & new, unknown-in-the-US vocalist....even down to recording one old Yardbirds song (re-casting of "Shapes of Things" for Beck, "Dazed & Confused" by Led Zep, which the Yardbirds had done in their live set).

Both bands even covered Willie Dixon's "You Shook Me", and at least one other blues standard (Beck - "Rock Me Baby", recast as "Rock My Plimsoul", and Howlin' Wolf's "I Ain't Superstitious"; Led Zep - Otis Rush's "I Can't Quit You Baby").

Now, admittedly, Beck's LP didn't sell like Zep's debut, and Jeff's band imploded and broke up after just one more album, while Led Zep truly became innovative with each additional release, but....IMO, calling "Led Zeppelin" (the debut LP) a unique sound....??? Hell, I even remember reviews in '69 that claimed Page was ripping off Beck & his new band!

OK, don't take my word for it.....while I couldn't find the aforementioned reviews, here's what Wikipedia says...and NO, I never said that LZ was a direct copy of Truth or as polished....just that there were enough similarities to negate any claim that "LZ" was totally unique....Plant versus Stewart...Hell, I don't care for either one! I'd counter that with Beck likely being a better player and more innovative than Page, although he's not the metal riffmeister that Jimmy was.....it all comes down to personal taste....

Per Wikipedia -

"Truth (1968) was the first full-length album by Jeff Beck and his backing group. Highlighted by covers of the Yardbirds' "Shapes of Things", Willie Dixon's "I Ain't Superstitious" and the traditional "Greensleeves", it is considered by many to be one of the first heavy metal albums, preceding the early Led Zeppelin albums, with which it has much in common in terms of its approach. Jeff Beck later accused Jimmy Page of stealing his idea when Led Zeppelin's first album also contained a cover of the Willie Dixon song, "You Shook Me", which led to an argument between the two and had a negative effect on their friendship. Nevertheless, they seem to have come to terms now, having done a common interview for the Classic Rock magazine.

Jeff Beck stated in a Guitar Player interview that he had co-written "Beck's Bolero" with Jimmy Page in 1966 but that Page had left off his name in the songwriting credits. Beck argued that he created the driving riff for the song. There is no question that Led Zeppelin borrowed and copied many musical ideas from the first Jeff Beck Group album for their early releases. On Led Zeppelin's eponymous first album (1969), Jimmy Page incorporates the Bolero riff into "How Many More Times"."

My point here is - I remember 1969 very well (was 18 at the time); I bought "Led Zeppelin" the day it came out, being a huge Yardbirds fan, but it did not particularly bowl me over as something revolutionary or original....or the critics at the time, either. Aside from Jon Mendelssohn in Rolling Stone (who trashed it), I recall "Led Zeppelin II" faring much better...

P.S. Additionally, I had also seen the Jeff Beck Group (Alexandria, VA. Roller Rink, opening for Big Brother & The Holding Company, featuring Janis J. and a big bottle of Southern Comfort) live just prior to the release of "Led Zeppelin", and thought they were GOD live....so any similarities between those 2 albums were most likely exaggerated in my eyes anyway...

Oops! The show's on 11/26. Here's the Reuters story:

LONDON (Reuters) - Rock legends Led Zeppelin announced a one-off comeback concert on Wednesday nearly three decades after disbanding.

ADVERTISEMENT

The group split in 1980 after the death of drummer John Bonham and have performed only a handful of reunion gigs, last taking the stage 12 years ago at their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The show will be held November 26 in London.

Tickets will cost 125 pounds ($254.30), available by ballot only with winners' names chosen at random. Fans can register at for a chance to buy tickets.

The official tickets Web site crashed shortly after the announcement as fans swarmed it for a chance to see the band, known to many of its fans simply as Zep.

The concert organizer, Harvey Goldsmith, said he thought it would be a one-off show, not a full-fledged reunion tour, but said the band seemed to be bonding well together again.

Bonham's son Jason will wield the drum sticks for Led Zeppelin, joining its founding members: singer Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page and bassist John Paul Jones.

The show will be a tribute to the late founder of Atlantic Records, Ahmet Ertegun, who signed Led Zeppelin in 1968.

"This performance stands alone as our tribute to the work and the life of our long-standing friend," Plant said in a statement.

Plant and Page have joined forces over the years, notably on an album in 1994, but Jones has been more distant. When Bonham passed away after a long battle with alcoholism, his bandmates said Led Zeppelin had died with him.

BONDING WELL

Goldsmith said the band was approaching the gig seriously.

"They thought about it very carefully, and even decided to actually rehearse for a few days to see if they could play together again," he told Reuters Television in an interview.

"I only asked them to do 30 minutes and they came back after a week's rehearsals and said they wanted to do a full show.

"So they obviously started to bond back together again. As far as I'm concerned, this is a one-off show, if something materializes after that, I'll be thrilled," Goldmsith added.

The band is scheduled to release a greatest hits collection, titled "Mothership," on November 13, and bookmaker Ladbrokes has made it odds-on favorite to top album charts.

"Reunion gigs are all the rage at the moment and we reckon Led Zeppelin will make the most of their comeback," Ladbrokes spokesman Nick Weinberg said. "We fully expect to see their older fans, and a new generation of rock lovers, getting behind the group."

The concert is slated for London's 02 Arena, which has a capacity of about 22,000. The Who's Pete Townshend, and Rolling Stone Bill Wyman and the Rhythm Kings and others will also play on the night.

If they do a full-blown reunion and come back to the States - I suspect the trials and tribulations some of us experienced trying (unsuccessfully) to get Cream tickets for the NYC shows in Oct. '05 will seem like an enjoyable day at the beach, compared to scoring tickets for Led Zep, assuming there'll be limited shows!