Led Zep's coming back....maybe

marvin

Yep.....just as The Eagles re-forming is going over well with some people, as is Springsteen getting back together with the E-Street Band. Then again, some of us don't really care about any of these, but are excited as Hell about The Sonics re-forming for the first time in 35 years...(and certainly NOT for the kind of money that any of the aforementioned have been offered!) (I suspect more Raspberries shows will be the only thing that floats all of our boats on this board!)

Marv - Too, too many rock & roll fans are unaware of The Sonics - While this ain't Springsteen doing liner notes, here are some quotes from a Sonics tribute album done several years ago:

WHAT SOME THINK ABOUT THE SONICS:

Peter Buck (R.E.M.): "If I had my way I'd play 'Strychnine' at every show in every band I'm in!"

Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam): "One night we were up at the house and Steve Turner played me the Sonics. I was aware of them, but I wasn't aware of HOW GOOD they were!".

Deniz Tek (Radio Birdman): I had seen and heard my fair share of the great sixties underground bands of southeastern Michigan, but when I finally heard the Sonics album for the first time in 1977 I was shocked. I couldn't believe the raw intensity of it. Those guys were obviously hanging it way over the ragged edge, with no regard for the consequences. We were totally inspired by that.

Andy Shernoff (The Dictators): Three chords, a savage beat, and a distorted howl = real rock and roll!!....God bless The Sonics and all they stand for!!!!

Roy Loney (The Flamin´ Groovies): When I think of The Sonics I think: DISTORTED, CRUDE, RAUNCHY, DEMONIC, PRIMITIVE, MAGIC, CLEAN CUT, LOUD and CLASSIC!! The first time that I heard The Sonics I was driving in my '57 Chevy and when "The Witch" came on the radio I almost ran off the road. I went out of control. The only other time that ever happened was the first time I heard "You Really Got Me" by The Kinks. We're talking Major. Ya know?

Jello Biafra (Dead Kennedys): The Sonics were the missing link between the Ventures and the Stooges. One of the few bands who lived up to their legend – and more – when I finally got to hear them. They would be a bigger influence on Dead Kennedys if we had succeeded in capturing the power of their songs and the fire coming out of Roslie’s mouth. But noone anywhere ever has.

Niklas Vahlberg (The Nomads): The Sonics were by far the best band of the 60's as far as I'm concerned... the missing link between Little Richard and the MC5!

Billy Childish: In 1983 I was playing in The Milkshakes and we were confident that we were the best group in the world. Then one night at a show in Nottingham we heard a record by The Sonics, me and Mick turned to each other "Oh, dear, there could be a bit of competion!" Happily we found out that they were not contemporary. The Milkshakes were still the best group in the world."

Greg Prevost (The Chesterfield Kings): …these guys are one of the FUCKING GREATEST BANDS EVER!!!!!!!! Gerry Roslie IS THE WHITE LITTLE RICHARD !!!

Mike Stax (Ugly Things Magazine): Nothing matches the intense, visceral rush of the Sonics at their best. In the Pacific Northwest, a place where bands in the ‘60s were renowned for raw, honest, hard-kickin’ rock’n’roll, the Sonics kicked just that much harder and faster. The throat-searing howl of Gerry Roslie, the string manglin’, amp-smokin’ terror of Andy Parypa, the explosive, locomotive drum sound of Bob Bennett – unforgettable, immortal and still unequalled.

The Hives: Totally relentless and stripped down to the bare essentials, the Sonics made some of the best rock music there ever will be. If you like 60s rock but sometimes think it needs more beat, it was in Seattle all the time. Just magic.

"Sorry, I know it's a serious failing on my part."

"Serious failing?" - Nope, ain't no such thing...different strokes for different folks, that's all! Personally, since I stopped listening to the radio (late 70's, early 80's), I couldn't tell you anything about most acts that became commercially successful after that...

Marv I am a Zep fan but quite frankly, and I hate to say this, but Jimmy Page lost all his chops about 15-20 years ago - maybe because he just stopped playing, maybe some other abuses interfering or health problems, I don't know. But when they played even at Knebworth back in the 80's he was HORRIBLE, utterly horrible. I would not go to a show - but I WOULD PAY TO SEE THE BERRIES PLAY WITH WALLY ROCKING OUT SINCE HE STILL HAS HIS CHOPS smile

Plant's album fron 2005 was just plain GREAT. If they reunite...I will be very glad to hear it. Versatile group...lots of different sounds. John B's son on drums? I've been hearing about this reformation for 3 or 4 months now.

Why not? It'll be WAY better than most of the 'shyte' were subjected to these days by the 'Nicklebacks' of this [Rock] world.

Bring it on. cool

MJ - Agree about Page being burned out throughout the 80's (probably just stopped caring, I'm guessing), but....Per a couple of friends of mine who are LZ fanatics of the highest order, he made a decent comeback with Page/Plant in the mid-90's (I've heard "No Quarter", the acoustic album, and it's pretty good, but the new '98 studio album "Walking Into Clarksdale" didn't strike me as anything other than re-fried Zep.)

Page (or what appeared to be Page) sounded pretty much re-vitalized on the 1999 or 2000 live album he cut with the Black Crowes ("Live At The Greek"), which, I suspect, was due to the Crowes sticking very closely to the studio versions of Zep songs, in lieu of endlessly jamming on them. Frankly, this is probably my all-time favorite live Zep-related album. IMO, the Black Crowes, at least in 1999, played and sounded better than LZ in their prime on Zep songs! And how much of this was actually Page, versus the BCs' guitarists, one would wonder...

Among Page's studio work - early Who, early Kinks (although allegedly not, as originally rumored, the solos on "You Really Got Me" or "All Day & All Of The Night"), Them's "Baby Please Don't Go" (all-time classic intro on guitar!) and "Here Comes The Night", Dave Berry's "The Crying Game" (great solo!).....

Page himself has stated that he really doesn't know or remember what he did or didn't play on, because many times the version he played guitar on (The Who's "I Can't Explain", for example), wasn't the version finally released by the record company (although JP was definitely on the B-side, "Bald Headed Woman"), plus the fact that he literally did hundreds of studio sessions. He does remember the sessions where he created an original solo or particularly memorable riff (Baby Please Don't Go, The Crying Game).

Regarding dressing up for any future Led Zep shows...Hell, I'd rather go see Lez Zeppelin, the all-girl tribute band!...whose debut album, BTW, is better than Vanilla Fudge's recent all-Zep tribute album!

Im a Zep fan, and I'll believe it when I see it. The same rumour has been floating around the net for a couple of years now.

Frankly, I dont see why Plant would wanna do it. Especially when he has a new duet CD coming out with Allison Krausse. The publicity of Zep reforming, would take away from his current project

Jeff