Emitt Rhodes/Phil Keaggy

Jerry

Two names that often pop up on this forum are Emitt Rhodes and Phil Keaggy. Many are familiar with Emitt; Phil probably not so much.

Phil was in a Ohio band named Glass Harp back in the 70’s. A trio, Glass Harp featured Phil on guitar. He is an incredible guitarist, a very fine singer, and not unlike Emitt, very McCartney-ish. (For proof, go to http://www.philkeaggy.com/ and play his version of “When I’m 64â€).

Phil left Glass Harp to pursue a solo career in Christian music. In one of his shows he did a cover of “Every Little Thing†by The Beatles. When reworded by substituting “he†for “sheâ€, one could hear how the song could take on an evangelistical spin.

The Smithereens recently released a CD titled “Meet The Smithereensâ€; they basically re-recorded the entire “Meet The Beatles†album. It was an interesting concept and tribute.

I would like to hear Phil re-record the “Emitt Rhodes†album. Many of the songs could have a Christian interpretation (“You Take The Dark Out of the Nightâ€, “Ever Find Yourself Runningâ€, “Live Till You Dieâ€), and I think he would do a great job of introducing Emitt’s music to an audience that might not be familiar with him.

Many bands have done cover songs or albums/CD’s. Would anyone else like to hear one band (or one singer) completely re-record another artist’s entire album song-for-song?

Always a pleasure to see Emitt's name popping up. I haven't heard of Phil Keaggy but no matter how good he may be, he could never improve on the Emitt Rhodes albums. Even Eric Carmen, Peter Cetera or Gerry Rafferty (my top three musicians) couldn't do a better job on Emitt's music than he did.

I'm with you 100% Jerry. I'd like to hear ANYONE doing Emitt's songs to, at least, give his music some exposure. I've read that he has hundreds of demo's on tape of songs that's he's written over the years, scattered around his garage. There must be some wonderful stuff there that we're probably never gonna hear.

Phil Keaggy did a "Beatles theme" type album back in the late 80's or early 90's called 'Sunday's Child". The album art work is in the same 60's Beatle style- Parlophone vibe. He used a lot of Rick 12 string and Gretsch guitars thru Vox AC-30 amps {just like the Beatles}. It's also credited that the drummer actually used one of Ringo's old drum kits from the 60's. Great album!! The opening song of the album 'Tell Me How You Feel" is fabulous!!!

Phil's band, Glass Harp, used to hit the Hullabaloo here in Erie during the same time period that the Berries came around. All the guitarists in town would show up & stand in awe to watch Keaggy play (he's missing a finger on his fret hand!). If I'm recalling correctly (don't forget, it was the 70's), one evening when they were here, they did the entire "b" side of "Abbey Road". Really, really good. Everyone here was also digging a tune they did called "Village Queen".

In Phil's own words: "When I was four I climbed up on to the [farmyard] pump to get a drink of water when suddenly the old wooden base broke apart causing the pump to fall through [the cover,] cutting off my middle finger on the right hand."

Check out this picture of Phil and McCartney-

http://www.johnboda.com/photogallery/keaggymc.jpg

You can clearly see the injury was on his right hand.

Phil Keaggy did a "Beatles theme" type album back in the late 80's or early 90's called 'Sunday's Child". The album art work is in the same 60's Beatle style- Parlophone vibe. He used a lot of Rick 12 string and Gretsch guitars thru Vox AC-30 amps {just like the Beatles}. It's also credited that the drummer actually used one of Ringo's old drum kits from the 60's. Great album!! The opening song of the album 'Tell Me How You Feel" is fabulous!!!

Concur 100%. "Tell Me How You Feel" is most definitely a "lost classic" in the annals of power pop. Sheer perfection...

Based on your recommendation, I found a copy of the Sunday's Child cd. Great stuff! Not only is 'Tell Me How You Feel' a classic, but the title cut is amazing as well. Thanks for the heads up on a great cd.