Any fans of Sweet?

Rasburied

One of my favorite bands equally with the Raspberries is Sweet. I wish I was at the right age to have witnessed the tour in 1976 with Eric Carmen and Sweet. What a dream concert double bill for me. Anyway a decade ago I did meet up with Steve Priest the original Sweet Bass Player and I did talk to him about that tour with Eric. For those wondering what he had to say it was docummented in his autobiography "Are You Ready Steve" and I'll leave it at that. Unfortunately there will never be a reunion of the original Sweet but Andy Scott is still carrying on the groups name with his own incarnation of Sweet. John

If I am correct (Eric would know) I saw the Raspberries open for The Sweet at the Tower Theater in suburban Philly in either late '72 or early '73 (I need to get out my Marathon Man book). I was not impressed. I left halfway thru The Sweet's set.

The Berries were ok that night but are even better now. Light years better.

You are not alone....Sweet was one of my favorites in high school; on a second tier just below the Raspberries. Would have loved to see them live. They had their own unique sound like so many of the great bands of that decade. Would be very interested in reading Steve Priest's autobiography. The album "Desolation Boulevard" is a great album and proved they were more than just bubblegum.

From top to bottom "Desolation" is a great album, but "Give Us A Wink" has always been my favorite.They inspired a lot of the 80's bands. If you heard the beginning of Sweet's "Hellraiser" and the beginning of Motley Crue's "Kickstart My Heart" - They are almost identical.

Quick story... When I was at StarzFest this past November to see Starz perform all 4 of their albums. They referenced how the beginning of "Ballroom Blitz" cracked them up, so they began one of their songs with "Are you ready Richie? Are you ready Michael? etc.." It was their little tribute to Sweet.

Tim

To me, their peak was the Desolation Blvd/Give Us A Wink time frame. Prior to that, their music tended too much toward bubblegum (although I did like Hellraiser, Blockbuster and Teenage Rampage), with, as Tony C. points out, lyrics that make one cringe (Little Willy, Wig Wam Bam, Co Co, Papa Joe, etc.)....while post-Wink, I thought they degenerated into an average hard rock band with metal overtones, but nothing exceptional (although they still had a few good songs).

Bullseye of Canada put out a very cool tribute CD to Sweet, "Are You Ready Steve," (for which Steve Priest served as consultant and helped choose tracks) a few years back:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/tracks/B0006FYONS/ref=dp_tracks_all_1/103-8251405-0924601?%5Fencoding=UTF8#disc_1

I have a special preference for track 22...

--Howard

Yes, March of '76 here in Saint Paul at the old Auditorium, Mr. Carmen and band played a great 45-50 minute set. The great Sunrise started the show. Highlights, besides the now classic All By Myself, was a 100% killer of All Through The Night, drummed by Mr. McBride. Can't remember too much about Sweet and whatever other band was there. Carmen was, and still is, the real deal.

I saw The Sweet on the 4th of July of 1978 in Biloxi, MS. They were with Eddie Money and Alice Cooper. It was like a war zone in the auditorium because it looked like just about everyone brought in a ton of fireworks. Every time an announcement was made about ejecting anyone shooting off firework, the place erupted with rockets, firecrackers, roman candles, etc. The explosions would finally die down and then they'd make the announcement again and the place would go crazy again. It was a night I will never forget.

• 10 years later...