Gone Country ?

Bessieboo

There is not one little thing country about me, but I find myself really liking some country music.

Tonight, Darius Rucker, America, Keith Urban were on the CMA and I enjoyed it. In the past I would rather have my teeth drilled than listen.

What's is this? It doesn't sound like to country to me.

It's not yer fathers old "country and western" crap.

Amen, Ted.

You say country and that's what most people think of and immediately tune out. Either that or they start with the country put downs and jokes...what do you get when you play a country record backwards? You get your wife back, you get your house back, etc. They say country is just beer drinking and cheating songs. Obviously, they haven't listened lately.

I don't know how anybody that liked 70's pop can't like some of today's country. I also realize that today's country has a lot of crappy songs...but I think ever format has more bad than good. You just have to find the good stuff, and IMHO...today's country has some very good stuff.

BTW...I can listen to some of the old country, but a lot of it is terrible.

Darius Rucker's new cd epitomizes the best and the worst of the new country sound. Every song is so well crafted and arranged; each with a memorable hook. It's also as sterile and cookie cutter Nashville as most best selling country cds. If you're a fan of this genre, you'll love it; if not, it will confirm everything you believe about the genre.

Sorry people..."Old Country" is where it's at.George Jones, Porter Wagoner, Faron Young, Merl Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Buck Owens...are you kidding me?? Many of these artists crossed over to the pop charts in the 60s and 70s...Country Pop's golden age.Pretty much downhill until today's " Is that country or lite pop?' music. Country pretty much changed after 'Urban Cowboy' [Which had some great songs on the soundtrack].

I never liked "old country" and I don't like "new country" much for that matter. The bar I used to hang out was full of guys with Johnny Cash haircuts (note: If you're punk over 30 for some reason you are required to get a Johnny Cash haircut) and they would swear up and down they're his biggest fan.

As a guy raised on the British Invasion I honestly can't find a thing I like about country music.

Duane - I posted that old chestnut by Paycheck because I love that song's title! I like pretty damn near everything he ever recorded, but especially the earlier stuff on his Little Darlin' label. He was an all-time great C&W singer until hard liquor and riotous living practically killed him off and wrecked his voice. By the time of his comeback ("Take This Job & Shove It"), his voice was a mere shadow of its former self. "Old Violin" was probably his best post-comeback song and recording, IMO...