Top Five Albums That Should Have Been Hits

Early Wynn

1. "Boats Against The Current" - great album with commercial momentum going into its release...it was crushing that it didn't sell.

2. "Eric Carmen" (Arista) - I think BlackhawkPat said it well....IMHO this is a melodic masterpiece that is way underrated.

3. "Status Quo Live" (1977) - the purest heavy, hard-driving rock & roll I've ever heard.

4. "Dream Of A Child", Burton Cummings - I just really like Burton Cummings.

5. "MainCourse", BeeGees - I know it produced 4 hits and revamped their career...but it's as good an album as I've ever heard and I don't think it gets near the respect it deserves (except from Marvin..he gets it)

1. "Boats Against The Current" - great album with commercial momentum going into its release...it was crushing that it didn't sell.

2. "Eric Carmen" (Arista) - I think BlackhawkPat said it well....IMHO this is a melodic masterpiece that is way underrated.

3. "Status Quo Live" (1977) - the purest heavy, hard-driving rock & roll I've ever heard.

"Jamesy be tender with my love"

4. "Dream Of A Child", Burton Cummings - I just really like Burton Cummings.

5. "MainCourse", BeeGees - I know it produced 4 hits and revamped their career...but it's as good an album as I've ever heard and I don't think it gets near the respect it deserves (except from Marvin..he gets it)

I encourage Raspberries fans to check out Matthew Sweet, he is far under-appreciated.

"Girlfriend" 1991

"100% Fun" 1995

both are "should have beens"

Actually, both of those albums were hits; particularly "Girlfriend". I really like Sweet's "Altered Beast" which didn't fair so well. (Matthew has a cd of cover songs recorded with The Bangles Susannah Hoffs coming this spring).

Also, Aimee Mann's "Whatever" and "I'm With Stupid" are fantastic albums that should have been more sucessful.

p.s. Happy Birthday!

Tough to pick 5 and only 5 without setting a criteria. My criteria is 1 and only 1 per group or solo artist... (thus justifying Eric AND Raspberries on my short list...) smile

1. STARTING OVER - Raspberries - Any list of "should have been hit albums" that doesn't have this one at the top or near the top... well, you might as well consider the lister as uneducated! wink With apologies to ERIC ONLY fans, SO should have rightly had three huge hits in the first three tracks... each with lead vocals by a different band member; Eric & Scott & Wally... and I'd love to see what would have happened if they had released "All Through The Night". It was only a couple of years later that Lynyrd Skynyrd scored their last hit prior to Ronnie Van Zaant's death with "What's Your Name", which to me is their take on ATTN!

2. Boats Against The Current - Eric Carmen - While it is true that EC1 had more potential monster hits (and after hearing the additional verses on Everything, who thinks that couldn't have been hit #5 from EC1?) BATC was and is such a beautiful piece of work... It is a sheer tragedy that BOATS isn't Eric's signature song instead of ABMS! That song, from it's opening "sampling" of Row, Row, Row Your Boat to it's bittersweet final note, is the song that artist NEED to be covering as much or more so as ABMS!

So many "what if" issues surround this album. WHAT IF it hadn't taken so long to come out after the success of EC1? WHAT IF Clive Davis had continued to back Eric's work instead of pulling the rug out from under him? WHAT IF Arista hadn't pulled the single "Boats" in favor of another version after it's initial release? WHAT IF that song had been released at any other time on the calender than just before Christmas?

3. Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma - Michael Nesmith - (Yeah, "Wool-Hat" from the Monkees!) - Nesmith wandered in and out of Southern Rock/Country for about a decade after the Monkees broke up and then got involved in the early versions of MTV. (Some consider him the grandfather of the Music Video.)

This album is somewhat of a concept album and not necessarily his best work but notable as each and every song packs as short and powerful punch as well as being written and produced with an eye toward the Music Video. (In fact, the video for the song "Cruisin' (Lucy & Ramona & Sunset Sam) featured a very young Terry (Hulk) Hogan as Sunset Sam!

Another quirk of the LP. Every song had a one word title and an accompanying sub-title!

If you have trouble finding this LP (and the CD is available occasionally on eBay) Many of this album's prime cuts are also on his "Newer Stuff" CD as well... (To be safe, buy both!)

4. Looking Glass - Looking Glass - The guys who told us about a fine girl named "Brandy" produced a few albums, but the first was and is their best, by far. Incidently, there is not a cut on this album beside "Brandy" that sounds like "Brandy". The band is more close to an early "Lynyrd Skynyrd" feel to their work; delving as well into a couple of songs that border on Contemporary Christian fare. All in all an album that was never appreciated by those who WOULD enjoy it because they didn't buy it and those who bought it did NOT get what THEY expected!

Number 5 is somewhat touger... but I have to go with...

5. Sittin' Ducks - Sittin' Ducks - Wally's "other" band put together one of the best CD's I've ever enjoyed; I have in fact worn out two of them! I know it's still available because my gal got me a new one last year from Ken (kmduck@aol.com) Margollis (sp) Talk about an album without a throwaway track! I at times have liked certain songs better than others, but Wally's "Golden Rule" rocks... and his "Has Been Blues" is truly awesome! Other great, great cuts include "Your Time Will Come" (and if you're a RASPBERRIES fan, I think it HAS!) and "This Girl's Gonna Go Out Tonight", which I have always felt had the potential to be a hit on either the ROCK or COUNTRY charts!

Hope you like my 5!

Oh... and 5 should have been hit singles...

1. AMERICAN AS APPLE PIE - ERIC

2. BOATS AGAINST THE CURRENT - ERIC

3. IT HURTS TOO MUCH - ERIC

4. PLAY ON - RASPBERRIES

5. PARTY'S OVER - RASPBERRIES