The BEST Recording Artist Ever...

Lee Marshall

For me it's Elton. "Tumbleweed" was Country (or at least His and Bernie Taupins version of it),

Jeff

One of the greatest albums ever recorded. For MY ears...his best by MILES. Kept me 'connected' with Elton for quite a LONG time. [i miss his adventurous styles and the old energy]

"The consistent people play it safe, but genuises are all over the map, and put together some mighty fine greatest hits. IMHO"

Don't necessarily agree...in many cases, the very high degree of consistency was caused by prematurely dying (usually not on purpose) or the band breaking up, so the artist(s) had no chance of going "all over the map". Hendrix, for example, might have turned Prince-like, playing soul music, or gone into gospel. Buddy Holly may have gone full-blown C&W.

Meanwhile, going all over the map has many times resulted from an artist simply not wanting to do the same thing over and over and over again for 40-50 years....or just plain being bored, or one's perspective on life changing as he/she ages. Dylan went from angry young protest/folk singer, to electric rocker, to born-again Christian, to a hack with a blown-out voice (most of 80's & 90's), to elder statesman/blues singer (which is pretty much what he is today) primarily because he had the good fortune to live so long and not retire. Had the Beatles quit after "Abbey Road", and none of them continued to ever make music again, there would likely be no question that they're the greatest ever, no competition (IMO)....at least among those of us old enough to remember them.

For me it is Eric's Music

There has be no other that consistently reaches me. It has a purity

The music is brilliant, it is a completely different level of depth, than the majority of music available.

I like Bruce, The Beatles and Aerosmith and Sinatra. But they Do not speak to me.

I'll turn up "girls just wanna have fun", and dance to "It's raining men", but I don't sit and savor them.

Those songs are wine coolers or beer...Kool aide.

In contrast, EC's music is fine, complex, like a quality Cabernet Sauvignon or Shiraz. Something to luxuriate in, enjoy and then reexamine in a different light and discover another subtle detail.

EC's music reaches me, it is a thinking person's music.

Would Burt Bacharach count?

Been at it for 50 years.

He DID write, arrange, produce and play on as big a pile of hits of the very highest quality as any of the others on this list.

And I think it's safe to say his work has held up pretty darn well, too.

While never a Rock Star like Elvis, Beatles, Dylan, the Stones, Elton, Springsteen, or a short-lived supernova like Otis or Buddy Holly, Hank Williams ... he was married to Angie Dickinson ... heartpump

Kind of a clean, sober, and sane Brian Wilson!?!?

Consider the following as a "recording artist's" output:

1. Something Big

2. Do You Know The Way To San Jose?

3. What The World Needs Now Is Love

4. I Say A Little Prayer

5. Walk On By (Live)

6. Nikki

7. This Guy's In Love With You

8. Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head

9. The Look Of Love

10. Message To Michael

11. (There's) Always Something There To Remind Me