GoGos... or Bangles?

LC

• 3 weeks later...

I loved "Walk Like An Egyptian" but I thought Belinda Carlisle was pretty. Her real name was Belinda Kerczewski. Her father, "Duke" Kerczewski (I think his real name was Walter), was our paper boy when I was 5 and he was about 14. I asked him once if I would wait for me to grow up so I could marry him.

(She looks a lot like her Dad).

smile --Darlene

Bangles or Go-Go's? Neither...I'm with GMan. Fanny all the way. Liked Belinda Carlisle's solo stuff a little better than either B's or G-G's, but still give my vote to the Millingtons. I thought it was a very sad day when the wonderful Mael Brothers teamed with Jane Wiedlin. At the time I thought Sparks was scraping the bottom of the barrel with that collaboration. I've mellowed a bit, though, in my old age and will actually hum "Cool Places". As far as solo artists - Lesley Gore. (I threw that in there since I mentioned BC.) LG actually released a new CD a couple of years (or so) ago that I keep meaning to pick up.

As for the question about all the Lee's: Lee Meriweather. She is a very gracious and fun lady. And boys - she still has her looks in a big way. If anyone's interested, I'll see if Bernie will post one of the pics I took of her about 1 1/2 years ago. (Sorry, Bob Allen, don't have any pics of Bea.)

S*

Bangles rocked pretty hard on their 1st album - the guitars were way up front. As they went on, they got progressively poppier and the guitars and drums got buried and/or replaced by synths and vocals. Most of their hits were written by others (Prince, Jules Shear, Katrina, Paul Simon).

Go-Go's consider themselves a PUNK band, and have always been a bit thrashier. Most of their hits are written by them. "Unforgiven" is (co)written by Billy Joe from Green Day, so that's gonna rock out even more, naturally.

I'm a fan of both, but give me the trash and the better songwriting - Go-Go's win.

Fanny was great too, though!

What about The Honeys? The Donnas? The Tuesdays?

Doug

As for the question about all the Lee's: Lee Meriweather. She is a very gracious and fun lady. And boys - she still has her looks in a big way. If anyone's interested, I'll see if Bernie will post one of the pics I took of her about 1 1/2 years ago. (Sorry, Bob Allen, don't have any pics of Bea.)

S*

Yeah, Susana, let's have a look!

Did you know that Lee Meriwether was in only two episodes of the original Batman series -- and that she wasn't Catwoman in that role? It was in the 1966 film Batman: The Movie that she played Catwoman. (I was just doing some research on that for a work-related thing....)

Yep...Bangles rock. They are "pop" all the way. WalkLAE is actually my least favorite of their songs. Go Down To Liverpool, September Gurls, Manic Monday, Hazy Shade of Winter, If She Knew Wants She Wants, Eternal Flame...all great. And Suzanna Hoff's 'Uner The Covers' album with Matthew Sweet is pure pop enjoyment.

Two things--the Bangles early EP on the Faulty label before they signed with Columbia--with four songs--is really cool.

Also, Jane Wiedlin from the Go-Go's had a great song--"Rush Hour"-- on her solo album.

Two things--the Bangles early EP on the Faulty label before they signed with Columbia--with four songs--is really cool.

Also, Jane Wiedlin from the Go-Go's had a great song--"Rush Hour"-- on her solo album.

How is the air up there?! Totally agree, Fresh!

And don't forget Jane's band Frosted - only 1 CD before they split, but it rocks out big time!

And Early - great clips, proving the GoGos are definitely punk-based, and much louder and trashier than Bangles (If you like that sort of thing - and I do!).

Doug

That's always where I net out, Ted. And speaking of Ms. Hoffs, check out this little jewel I found.... a 2006 clip of Susanna performing "Feel Like Makin' Love."

This is a perfect Valentine's Day song for anyone else who's into Susanna. From her spoken intro about being embarrassed to hear this song on the radio as a kid in front of her mom, to her sultry and smokin' vocal, to her uninhibited gyrations, this is well worth 4 minutes and 23 seconds of your time.... IMHO

As Dick Enberg used to say.... Oooooohhhh, my!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzchBCJeAkM

• 4 weeks later...