Best "Covers"-IMHO

ira

A long time ago back when Hollies65 was Hollies62 and G-MAN was B-MAN and the Raspberries were mere seedlings...I posted a thread ranting about lousy "Cover" versions of songs.

High on my list were..."That's Rock and Roll" by Shaun Cassady and "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" by Paul Young".

Having returned from vacation and being in a more positive mood...I felt like asking people to list "Good Covers"..."Remakes" of hit songs they enjoyed.

Let's start at 2 per customer.

If possible...Tell who did the original...and of course who did the remake.

Me first!

1-"Twist and Shout"-The Beatles..(Original-Isley Brothers.)

2-"I'm Into Something Good"-Herman's Hermits...(Original-Earle-Jean....Lead singer of The Cookies who were famous for "Chains".)

Now it's your turn! happy -Ira.

Baker Street--Foo Fighters (originally by Gerry Rafferty)

I like the Foo Fighters music much better, but I prefer Rafferty's voice in this song.

Brandy--Red Hot Chili Peppers (originally by Looking Glass)

Again it's the music-not the singing, though I usually like Anthony Kiedis' voice.

You can almost divide this into two distinct categories....covers which are faithful to the originals, and covers which transformed the song into something new altogether through new arrangements.

In the latter category - Wilson Pickett's "Land Of A Thousand Dances" (original by Chris Kenner in the early 60s) and "Funky Broadway" (original by Dyke & The Blazers), Aretha Franklin's "Respect" (Otis Redding did the original).

A long time ago we actually covered (no pun intended) this topic. In fact, we had a daily contest, picking a 'cover' song and voting for the 'cover' against the original. My two favourites (at that time) were "Got To Get You Into My Life (Earth Wind & Fire), and "We Can Work It Out" (Stevie Wonder).

Marv - Agree that we've covered this, but seriously....are there many topics out there for discussion that we haven't covered here before? With the steady growth in the # of members here over the past few years, I suspect even the most-discussed previous topics (e.g., Rock & Roll Hall of Fame) are going to be new to a lot of people here!

Two GREAT ones...Greg Kihn's cover of Springsteen's 'For You'. That may be my favorite ever. The Rivieras 'California Sun' [originaly done by Joe Jones of 'You Talk Too Much' fame.] OH....one more The Hollies version of 'Jesus Was a Crossmaker'...Terry Sylvester's greatest vocal moment with the Hollies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_vvVynX9h0

...and they also did "California Sun" as well...

The Ramones' covers could be a thread in and of itself - "Let's Dance", "California Sun", "Do You Wanna Dance", "Surfin' Bird", "Needles & Pins", "Baby I Love You", "A Little Bit Of Soul", "Time Has Come Today," "Palisades Park," "Indian Giver", "Street Fighting Man", "I Love You" (Johnny Thunders cover), "I Don't Wanna Grow Up" (Tom Waits), and their entire "Acid Eaters" covers album....some of which equal or eclipse the originals, many of which don't...

Off on a slight tangent, some of the best unrecorded covers (except on bootlegs...and these guys tape every show, and make most of them available to their fans) I've ever heard live were by The Black Crowes. These potheads know every damn song from the 60s onwards (and some from the 50s), and do excellent covers of generally 3-5 per show.

Saw 'em last Sunday at Wolftrap (Vienna, VA), and they covered: "Never Ending Song of Love" by Delaney & Bonnie; "Rockin' Chair" by The Band; "He Was A Friend Of Mine" by The Byrds; Joe Cocker's "Space Captain"; and, for encores, Buffalo Springfield's "Hung Upside Down" and Little Richard's "Keep A Knockin'".......great taste in covers! (Including the occasional rare Beatles tune - heard them do "Long Long Long" and "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" several years ago.)

From his stand at Giants Stadium a couple of weeks ago, Bruce does Manfred Mann's "Pretty Flamingo."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-piPLIrsQI&feature=related

He used to do this many, many years ago, and resurected it a couple of weeks ago as a tribute to Patti for her birthday. Bruce's introduction is priceless, and the song starts at around the 2:47 mark.

Dave Mason's 70 version of "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow", a little campy on the strings, but I love this powerful cover.

Also, Paul Young did a great job with "Oh Girl", "Every Time You Go Away" "Both Sides Now"(duet), and just about every old song he touches.

For a while there, He was the "Cover King"? "The King Of Cover"? "The Master of The Re-Master"?...

The Beach Boys'..."I Can Hear Music" over the Ronettes' version does it for me every time.

And while I'm at it...And this may be blasphemy...Jay and The Americans' "Walkin' In The Rain" over the Ronettes' version.

PLEASE forgive me Ronnie and don't make me sleep on the living room couch again tonite....'Cause after all "Baby I Love You" (And in this case your version is far better than Andy Kim's remake of your version Ronnie.) smilie -Ira.

Go Now.....the original by Bessie Banks...which is pretty cool.

I prefer The Moody Blues version with Denny Laine on lead vocal.

Rock N' Roll Music...Chuck Berry, which is good.

I prefer The Beatles version...which absolutely kicks some serious Ass

"And while I'm at it...And this may be blasphemy...Jay and The Americans' "Walkin' In The Rain" over the Ronettes' version."

Ira - While that IS truly blasphemy, I stood about 20 feet from Ronnie this past April in New Orleans (Ponderosa Stomp) as she sang "You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory", and thought....while she's 10 million times the singer that Johnny Thunders was, her version isn't 1/10th as good as his was/is!

(BTW, her live "I Can Hear Music" absolutely destroys the Ronettes' recorded version! That never seemed to be one of their better sessions....)

The night before the first Highline Ballroom show last October, I heard Mary Weiss (Shangri-La's lead singer) do a version of "Come On Up" as an encore...which decimated the Young Rascals' original! (IMO, all is right with the world since she started doing "Leader Of The Pack" live...which she refused to do her first 6-7 comeback shows...)

John...You never fail to blow me away with your knowledge.

Jeez...You even know Brooklyn and Manhattan better than me thru your frequent musical excursions.

G-Man...BTW...IMHO...While I LOVE Brian and the Beach Boys...and while I was ecstatic with their comeback in '75...I HATE their version of "Rock and Roll Music?

Waddaya you think?-Ira.