Lindsey Buckingham to release solo album in fall

aggiesjc

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. I'm a big Lindsey fan and got to see him in a small club in the flats back in '93. What an incredible guitarist. I've got a bunch of unreleased tracks from his last aborted solo project that he scrapped to make Fleetwood Mac's last album. There's a couple of really good songs that didn't make it on the Fleetwood Mac album that hopefully will show up on his new one.

Cozmik, I have that "Gift of Screws" CD which was supposedly the aborted LB solo album prior to FM's "Say You Will" album. One of the best songs, in my opinion, from GOS that didn't make it onto the Mac album is "Twist of Fate." Would love to see that one surface again!

*And lucky you to have seen LB in '93!

I see "Gift of Screws" mentioned alot. Especially on a couple of music forums I frequent. Where did everyone manage to get ahold of this CD?...

Jeff

There was one Fleetwood Mac fan site that had the tracks available in mp3. There are so many tracks floating around (including a couple covers of somewhat little-known Rolling Stones songs) that its hard to say what was actually intended for the CD. Send me a message and I'll give you more info.

Awesome news! I love Lindsey Buckingham. He's great in the studio and even better live. I've seen him several times, including at The US Festival in the early 1980s and in 2002 or '03 in Worcester, Mass., plus a number of times in between. He's got that great combo of intensity and honesty and great sense of melody. And he's still pretty underrated as a guitarist (at least I think he is).

Plus, Lindsey has this great respect for pop music history.... I know he's a Beach Boys fanatic, for example. (One of my favorite "overlooked" Fleetwood Mac records is their cover of the Beach Boys' "Farmer's Daughter" on their early-1980s live album.)

Lindsey is also a fan of Kingston Trio. He helped Trio alum John Stewart in the late 1970s by playing on "Gold" and "Midnight Wind," and he attended and played on the Trio's 1981 reunion album. He's also written a song about John Stewart, who returned the favor with a song called "Liddy Buck" in the 1990s.

Anyway, thanks for the Buckingham note, Aggs. I had missed that.... He gives us more proof that a singer/songwriter can have a solo career AND continue to play within a band from time to time.

• 3 weeks later...

From USA Today:

Music

'No drums, very little bass' on Buckingham's new CD

Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham is about to unveil his first solo CD since 1992's Out of the Cradle. He describes the stripped-down arrangements on Under the Skin, due Oct. 3, as "kind of a reduction. There are basically no drums, very little bass. On a musical level, I've been trying to distill things."

Skin also reflects a sense of contentment, he says, that owes much to his wife, Kristen, and their three children. "This is the best time in my life, and that's a great thing to be able to say when you're 56, and didn't become a father till you were 48."

He plans a "more rocking" companion CD in 2007, after a U.S. tour. "It's a turnaround, time-frame-wise, for someone who's been sort of the Terrence Malick of rock," referring to the reclusive director.

—Elysa Gardner

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the news Jen - the hubby Pete is a big fan of Lindsay and LC, he agrees with you that Lindsay is an underrated guitarist..having seen a LOT of Fleetwood Mac concerts, i love his guitar work and songwriting (Pete is more in love with Stevie...hence our daughter's middle name Rhiannon...)

I will look out for that CD!

Thanks for that update, Ags. Sounds like a pretty innovative record coming from Lindsey.

Annie, I love Stevie, too. And I admit I tried that same "let's name our daughter Rhiannon" trick, too, but it fell on deaf ears. So I got more to the point and said, "Let's just name her Stevie!" That got an even worse reaction.

I had a neat interview with Stevie in the early 1990s. It was phone interview, and she called around 4 hours late, so it was 1 in the morning on the east coast (she was in California). There was something so cool about talking to Stevie Nicks in all of her cosmic "airiness" in the middle of the night.

By the way, if you ever have a moment, check out the journal Stevie kept on 9/11 and the days that followed. It's posted at her Web site:

http://www.nicksfix.com/

(click on "911 Journal" along the left side)

Her honest, stream-of-conscious reaction, as written throughout the week, sometimes in the middle of sleepless nights, is pretty chilling. (She actually flew into NYC the morning of 9/11.)

Anyway, Lindsey's CD gives me something to look forward to. Of course, there's a CD/DVD I'm even more anxious to dig into.... You can probably guess....

Tickets for a few select shows, including San Francsisco, Chicago, Santa Barbara, Vancouver, and Denver, go on sale this week. Supposedly, if you purchase the soon-to-be-released CD at the same time, they'll provide better seats. I've seen such claims before, and often they don't pan out, but I'll be on Ticketmaster Thursday morning nonetheless.