emitt rhodes - coulda been a raspberry?

austinberries

Yes...the thing back then was that he sounded like Paul McCartney and was kind of fluffed off. I still have that album and it is a really good one. I still play it and I still enjoy it! There's some really great tunes on it. I remember a little later on when Raspberries hit the scene that I thought Emitt sounded a lot like Eric.

That album came out very early 70's..might be 71 or 72..I have it. You might want to check out 'Fresh as a Daisy'...'Somebody made for Me', 'She's Such a Beauty' as well. Emitt had a really good album with that.Those songs definitely could be Raspberries songs.

When I first heard it I thought it was McCartney.

But being that the Raspberries modeled themselves after the Beatles, it's no wonder Emitt would have fit right in with them.

Check out his earlier work with the group " Merry Go Round." Had a top 40 hit with "Live." Another great tune is " Time Will Show the Wiser." He was doing the whole writing, producing,recording and engineering thing, quite a talent. He's got a 21 track, The Best of Emmit Rhodes out called Listen, Listen.

Emmit has long been hailed as one of the pop pioneers. He was an amazing songwriter, with a top level gift for the hook (like another board member here laugh ). He is still considered as one of the big influences of many of todays (and yesterdays) power pop artists.

I believe his story is a little sad, as, as much talent as he had, his motivation didn't seem to keep up with his talent. I have heard he still lives in the same house in Hawthorne, CA (just south of L.A., home of another major California legend), that he recorded many of those original tunes in, and has a home studio he rents out.

His work with as The Merry-Go-Round, and solo, is certainly one of my favorites.

The Bangles covered one of his tunes (done by The Merry-Go-Round), "Live", in the 80's. Every power pop artist, especially from Southern Cal, worships him.

I'm going to play devils advocate here. I like Rhodes' work OK, but I don't think he lives up to the hype surrounding him in the pop (and more specifically Power-pop) circles.

He's written some cool songs.... but no, I just don't see him up in the same level as people he's usually name-dropped with... like in this case the Raspberries.

Can't agree with you Poptopian...Rhodes was a big player and big influence on those that followed...his Merry Go Round work was superb...Eric has mentioned his love of Rhodes' work.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't think he's a bad songwriter or anything like that, just not in the same league as the Raspberries. I'd put him on the second tier level of 60's/70's pop.

Well, His debut solo record is about as good as pop gets. His Merry Go Round record is a joy [For me ] to listen too. But he really didn't do anything else. I'm not going to go into all his problems...if you know about him you know the story...His influence is big...The guy from the Raspberries cites him, and since I dig him too, that good enough for me. Do you think Big Star are overrated?

I have pretty much all Emmitt's stuff ... I think my main problem with getting excited about him is that every time I put on one of his albums the experience of listening is pleasant enough in the moment ... but as soon as the record is over... there's nothing.

His melodies don't stick in my head or deliver any kind of impact that ripples on after hearing it...*

I like Big Star... and I also like Badfinger... but to my way of thinking neither of them are in the same league as the Raspberries... which is, of course, heretical stake-burning talk in some powerpop circles.... it is, however, my honest reaction to the music.

*(With the exception of "You're a very lovely woman" which is a great track)