Greatest bubblegum song ever....

hollies65

I just don't remember that song from back in the day. They played it when I saw them in Wildwood a few weeks ago and it sounded great but it seemed like I heard it then for the first time.

They ran past their time limit and almost didn't play "Simon Says"...but got it in to end the show!

They were pretty darn good for a group that I thought might not even be alive let alone still playing!

In retrospect...just because the term "bubblegum" didn't come along until the mid 60s...like maybe '66 or '67...doesn't mean that the kind of music it described didn't really exist well prior to the 'official' designation.

So...I'd submit that 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' or 'She Loves You' might actually qualify. As one who didn't really begin to thoroughly appreciate what it was that the Beatles had to offer until Rubber Soul [although there were definitely good songs contained in the Help soundtrack]...their early output was really not very noteworthy. [although their accomplishments and record sales were...and so were SOME of those tunes from 62/63/64]

Heck...Neil Sedaka sang bubblegum music. So did Bobby Darin...sometimes. That Pat Boone joker wasn't much either. Elvis too. I mean MOST of his stuff makes me gag...as it did all along the way.

Yep...the early Fab 4 was pretty much 'bubblegum' through and through. Official bubblegum...??? Think I'd vote for 'Green Tambourine' by the Lemon Pipers which was at least more than just tolerable. For me...most of that Monkees/Ohio Express/1910 Fruitgum Co stuff was out and out crap. If I never hear it again...THAT will be soon enough.

Bubblegum. It tastes OK for a short while...but ultimately you SPIT it out and long term the best that can happen is...it will stick to the bottom of your shoe. Who needs THAT?

Not me. [end of rant about sub-standard 'music' that was never intended to stand the test of TIME]

I MUCH perfer the early Beatles to later Beatles....'Things We Said Today'....'No Reply'...'I'll Be Back'...'I Don't Want To Spoil The Party'....'It Won't Be Long'...'Any Time At All'...'What You're Doing',etc. In my book great rock&roll..definetly not 'bubblegum'.

I haven’t heard of ‘Indian Giver’ before, but I was playing ‘Simple Simon Says’ a lot over the weekend (together with ‘One and One is One’, by Medicine Head (love it, love it!) and ‘Something in the Air’ by Thunderclap Newman, not bubblegum, but great music all the same). smile

Perhaps my 'take' on early Beatles material IS a little over the top. Some of it is absolutely GREAT music. But some of it...like the two songs I mentioned for example...are out and out 'bubblegum'. And, as such, who could outdo the Fabs?

Ticks me off a touch that Paul Revere's little combo was designated bubblegum...by some. Their 'look' and their ongoing participation on the TV show that included them as the 'house band' probably had a hand in it but... Those guys could rock. At least til the latter days.

Even Herman's Hermits did some tunes that rose well above being 'bubblegum'. And the 1910 Fruitgum Company's last album 'Hard Ride' was out and out driving Rock...proving that they were a lot more than the sum of their parts and pretty much ONLY in it for the money.

The Hermits 'No Milk Today' is a classic pop song period ans certainly not bubblegum...'Hold On'...'A Must To Avoid' and 'My Reservation Been Confirmed' are also ...among others plain ol' great pop.

I agree that the Raiders were a GREAT rocking band...who wrote plenty of their own material[with Terry Melcher] and get pigioned-holed into bubblegum because of their Dick Clark connection and their costumes.They played on their own records and were ace players.

'Love Grows' is probably my favorite 70s bubblegum.

Steve: No need to qualify Sugar Sugar. Singer Ron Dante and pals who blew that bubble were / are industry pros of the highest order. They made a sing along, clap along hit that was way popular. As Eric Carmen would say: "What's the alternative?."

Tony Burrows and Tony MacCauly et al did it from the other side of the swamp -- including "Love Grows". (OMG! MacCauly wrote "Last Night I Didn't Get to Sleep at All": not bubblegum, but what a song and what a performance by Marilyn McCoo)

This book and this website have all you need to know.

Kudos to Kim Cooper!

"K"

"Dizzy" by Tommy Roe & The Shondels is probably my favorite.

"Love Grows" is one of my favorite songs of alltime, but to me, it's not in the bubblegum class...I consider it in the same class as some of the Rasbperries, and especially Eric Carmen, upbeat type tunes.