More reunion news: Asia and Split Enz

hbecstacy

Just posted on melodicrock.com:

John Wetton has signaled that the original line-up of Asia will re-group. In a message just posted to his website, John states: "It is the intention of all 4 original members, Geoff Downes, Steve Howe, Carl Palmer, and John Wetton, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the creation of Asia. All four wish to convey their heartfelt thanks for the global support, love and enthusiasm that has made this possible."

SPLIT ENZ RETURN FOR NEW OZ TOUR:

Split Enz, the group that helped define the course of music in Australia and New Zealand, are reuniting and hitting the road this June for an Australian tour that Frenz fans have only dreamed of. This June the True Colours lineup (that produced smash hit I Got You) of Tim Finn, Neil Finn, Eddie Rayner, Noel Crombie, Nigel Griggs, and Malcolm Green will bring the inimitable style of Split Enz to arena stages in Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth.

Audiences can expect to be treated to a typically extravagant - full of hits - Split Enz concert but The Frontier Touring Company's Michael Gudinski says fans should also be prepared for some surprises.

“I'm thrilled that Frontier are promoting Split Enz's upcoming tour. They were one of the greatest acts of all time on the Mushroom label. Split Enz have had so many hits throughout their career that they are icons here. I have every expectation that fans will be on their feet all night singing along – as I will be. Split Enz define the 70s and 80s for so many Australians so this is going to be the ultimate gig for these people.â€

It has also been confirmed that Noel Crombie will once again take up the double mantle of band member and stylist/set designer. So be prepared for some classic Split Enz costumes with a bit of '06 flair and a return of the famous spoons!

Tour Dates - June 2006

Wednesday 7 June Brisbane Entertainment Centre

Friday 9 June Sydney Entertainment Centre

Sunday 11 June Melbourne Rod Laver Arena

Tuesday 13 June Adelaide Entertainment Centre

Friday 16 June Perth Burswood Dome

--Howard

Carl Palmer has stated on his website that although they have spoke about touring, "only time will tell" when they can. He committed to touring with his own "Carl Palmer Group" up through July.

Since the actual 25th anniversary is in 2007, I'm guessing that's when the tour will materialize...

Jeff

According to the Asia web site, there are plans for a CD, DVD and tour by the original lineup in 2006.

So that's interesting about Palmer's message--the reunion has been confirmed on Wetton's, Downes' and Howe's sites.

I wonder Asia will find itself into the same situation Jeff Lynne found himself in a few years back when he revived ELO with a new CD and touring lineup. Since there'd been a group called "ELO Pt II" touring and playing those songs since he'd left it behind, news of an ELO tour was met with ho-hum audience interest. There's been a version of Asia touring and recording, led by Geoff Downes and John Payne, since Wetton left the band. I wonder if ticket buyers will care that the original lineup is back. Then again, it worked for Motley Crue.

Only time will tell is right...

Howard

...Aha, I looked it up! It's the South Park episode where Cartman finds a wrecked truck full of aborted fetuses, which he tries to sell, as stem cell research is very hot at the time. Congress then passes legislation making stem cell research illegal. Kenny gets really ill, and desperately needs, what else, stem cell-related treatment in order to live.

Cartman, pissed about having a truck of fetuses he can't sell, goes to Congress and appeals to them to again make stem cell research legal, citing the case of his friend Kenny, AND leading Congress in singing "Heat of the Moment". They take pity of Eric C., and pass new legislation. In the end, Cartman lets Kenny die, but uses stem cells to build his own Shakey's (next to the real one), so he can get pizza whenever he wants it. Sick but very funny......