Got to catch a half hour of a Billy Sullivan gig last night..

hollies65

Would haved stayed much longer, but I had to be up very early this morning. He puts on a terrific show and was the voice of [i did not know this] the locally famous 'I-X, Indoor Amusement Park' which he sang. He played The Hollies 'When Your Lights Turned On' and ventured into Graham Nash land on those high parts..well done! If he's playing near you catch his show..well worth it!

Every time I am in Cleveland for business, whether it be the day gig or Raspberries I try to catch Billy doing his solo act. Believe me when I tell you that the catalog that he plays is unbelievable. I always just sit in amazement. If you have an opportunity to see Billy "just do it". You can check his website (check ec.com links) for Billy's solo dates. And don't forget about the lovely Jennifer Lee she has a weekly appearance on Wednesday's at Becky's located in Willoughby Hills on Chardon Road near Bishop. She and Debbie Lewin put on quite a show. All of the Overdubs are quite talented and have great solo careers. I know that Billy and Paul have My Space pages that have updates of show dates and don't forget about Jesse Bryson, Wally's son living in NYC and continuing the Bryson tradition of great guitar work and song writing.

I was in quite a few bands back in the late 70's early 80's. The band I think you might have seen was "Club Wow". Myself & Jimmy Zero from the "Dead Boys", Frank Secich from "Blue Ash" and Jeff West from "Strutter" and the "Baloney Heads" were in that band. I remember warming up for Dave & Wally when they were in the "Secret" at the Phantasy Night Club in Lakewood, OH.

I'll bet that was it...at that very gig... I would have remembered because that's a bit of an allstar band [Anyone who has not heard Blue Ash's 'Abracadabra' should do so right away] How long was 'Club Wow' together? Heh.. I saw a least a dozen Baloney Head gigs too. What a great band name, 'Baloney Heads'.

Club Wow actually started out as a Jimmy Zero recording project. Jimmy had just left the Dead Boys and started recording at Kirk Yano's "After Dark Recording" in Parma, OH at the end of 1979. I was 17 years old at the time playing in the "Paul Pope Band" and I was kinda like an intern at the studio. Kirk would let me hang out, answer the phones and sometimes, play on some sessions. Those were great days!! I've learned a lot about recording and I met some great legendary musicians like George Sipl, Andy Gerome, Jimmy Clark, Tommy Rich, Wayne Weston, Raven Slaughter to name a few. Kirk asked me if I'd be interested in playing guitar for Jimmy Zero. I was thrilled because I was a fan of the Dead Boys. That first session, we recorded a great song of Jimmy's called "The Nights Are So Long". I remember Jimmy instructing me to play with a Pete Townsend kinda attitude. Lot's of big open guitar chords. If you go to myspace.com/clubwow ,, you can hear that very track. Me and Jimmy struck up a friendship and started a band. We were together from 1981 to our last gig in NYC January 1985.

web page

I met or saw you there then...I was there when a single was recorded..['Love Me'?] and some parts of the album...I was childhood friends of Edgar,Chris and Al,and brought Terrell into the band...he was leaving as the album was being done...I think he barely played on the record...but that was my favorite version of the band.So I'm sure I met you years earlier...I was quite the drinker back then.

I was quite the drinker back then also, but this past Saturday on one of our infrequent nights "out", we were watching a band at The Train Station in Elyria, and I spot a guitar hanging among others with a Billy Sullivan autograph, I was going to come on here and ask how that came about, but you answered that already by mentioning The Paul Pope Band.

That guitar is my very first electric guitar I got as a kid. My cousin Bryan gave it to me. I don't even know the brand name, but never the less,,, it rocked for me at 11 years old!! The Train Station is a great rock n roll club and Rosie, the owner is a sweetheart. Over the years, I've played at the Train Station quite a bit. Rosie asked myself, Paul Pope, Phillip James {Molkie Cole, Outta Dodge} and other Train Station ulumni to donate a guitar to hang up at the club. If you've noticed,, nobody was ready to donate their Gibsons or Fenders or Rickenbackers!!!! I was going to donate one of my Line 6 Variaxs but I changed my mind. I still have a big sentimental feeling for the guitar I did donate.

Must have seen Molkie Cole 100 times, mostly at Stoney's (Boom Boom Room, Space Lounge, and a few other names I can't remember) and still try to catch Outta Dodge a couple times a year, altho hitten the bars isn't as easy as it used to be, it's hell getting old. Also played a lot of basketball against Phil, he was a 3 point bomber!

Those guitars all looked smaller than normal, were they "kid" size?