What's Amy Winehouse thinking today?

Tony Cartmill

Let's see, I have this bad drug problem and I was kind of embarrased. Then, I win all these Grammys for my album that I was high when I wrote some of the songs. I was high when I shot some of the videos. I was high when I was performed some of the concert dates. The Music Industry loves me just fine the way I am...

I might loose my winning edge if I quit the junkie life now.

So I think me and my hubby will just continue with our winning ways for a while longer, because The Grammy's have sent me a message loud and clear:

"You go Girl." arrgh

Good observations,Tony.

I guess I am not "with it" any more. She won Grammys for that trash? - Somehow I missed her "talent." Was it the tattoos, the black eyeliner or the hair? It surely wasn't the vocalizing or the songwriting.

I think it's high time I start my own counter-culture career. Maybe I could be a real "Overnight Sensation."

I love drunk & high chicks..

Loose tank tops at Rush concerts, frequently bending over to puke LuvLove , arrested-growth boobs popping out of the tank top, slurring sweet nothings to stranger James, trying to kiss stanger James but missing his mouth and hitting his, well... ahem (it's too embarrassing to mention, but it's below his mouth.. frown )..

Yes, sentimental memories...

I'm right there with you, Annie. And while it may not be the most sophisticated piece of music in the world, darned if I wasn't singing that "Rehab" ditty all day today...so it must be kinda catchy. (Yeah, I know. I can live so in my own little world at times - had never actually heard her until last night.) Of course, it doesn't hurt that it's not much of a stretch to segue right from "no-no-no" into "nah-nahnahnahnah" that we've all heard a gazillion times.

Anyhoo, guess I just hope that people can clean up their act when they're in such a bad spot. Guess it's the reluctant Pollyanna in me.

S*

It is an interesting situation. A high percentage of the "Best New Artist" winners don't go anywhere after taking that one particular Grammy home. (Case in point--Starland Vocal Band, to name one. We should make a list to check the percentages).

Secondly, there is the Zevon factor.....Warren, of course, seemed to write better songs while intoxicated, than straight. So the question is, "Can Amy continue to write decent tunes once she straightens up?"

So we have two factors here....and we usually don't get multiple factors involved.

And what does Britney Spears think of this? Someone has one-upped her when it comes to publicity, for once. (And probably unintentional, to boot!)

It will be interesting to see what happens next. Will she realize what she has, and make the best of it? Or will she end up not doing anything substantial, being an "ongoing joke" in the press,

much like Robert Downey, Jr.?

Although I have not heard her music, yet, I perhaps should at least give her a listen.

I happened to see a picture of her from about three years ago.....and she was really attractive

without those eyelashes or tattoos....

Even though she seems to be headed that way, I hope she doesn't die soon - If she dies people will continue to think she is more talented than she is. She is just a "flash in the pan" and no one will remember her songs a year or so from now. The Grammy's these days are about as revelant as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to me.

Maybe Britney should move in with Amy, that would be a fun combination for a reality show.

Tim

Trivia: Bill and Taffy Danoff of starland vocal band sang back up and co-wrote "Country Roads" with John Denver.

Good point, Tim. is it that people fondly remember the artist after they have passed away and are kinder about the music???

Eric has said in the past (and in Marathon Man if memory serves) he writes best when he's depressed. Who can write when you're on an even keel? The highs and lows serve up more dramatic creations. IMHO.

Amy Winehouse has the MOST interesting female voice on the current 'contemporary' music scene. She is one of the few who doesn't sound pre-packaged/cookie cutter/dime a dozen. Her talent is definitely a GUST of fresh air. If only she can get her 'act' together because it looks like we could lose her and THAT would be a shame.

Can't believe the [2nd] previous poster [Travis and others] could possibly write her off with such ease. In an age where music is often times such stagnant tripe...Amy is the real deal. THAT alone makes her unique.

"She's seems to be missing a "common sense" gene."

Hmmmm....now that's unheard of in the music biz and rock & roll, no?

While I love her voice, I think the main appeal (aside from the exotic looks, tabloid antics) is the fact that 60's-style soul music, be it Stax/Volt, Motown, Philly, or other, still appeals to a Hell of a lot of people.....it's a very honest type of music (although sadly not as popular as the schmaltzy pop so favored by the American Idol set and its followers, or what's being referred to as "country music" nowadays..)

Secondly, there is the Zevon factor.....Warren, of course, seemed to write better songs while intoxicated, than straight. So the question is, "Can Amy continue to write decent tunes once she straightens up?"

Although I have not heard her music, yet, I perhaps should at least give her a listen.

I happened to see a picture of her from about three years ago.....and she was really attractive

without those eyelashes or tattoos....

Actually Warrens artistry for writing good songs never actually faltered when he sobered up. Case in point, "Sentimental Hygeine" (which also had his own "rehab" song, "Detox Mansion", and I think his last three releases are some of his best. "Life Will Kill You", "My Rides Here", and "The Wind" all have excellent material on them.

As for Winehouse, I've never heard anything by her. I suppose I should check her out on iTunes, but I have a gut feeling I'm not gonna be impressed...

Jeff

I think she has some talent...But by the looks of her tattoos, her eye-liner, her husband and her drug hobbies...She's seems to be missing a "common sense" gene.

Your parents probably said the same thing about the Stones... (OK, maybe not the husband remark....)

We music fans are odd: We complain that there's no one that does music like it used to be then when someone does music like it used to be we complain that they're merely retro... They're "copying"

When someone we like wins a Grammy we say "YES, at last they finally get great music" when someone we don't like wins we bring up reasons why it doesn't mean anything.

Amy takes a ridiculous amount of stick... can't figure out why for the life of me. She has a great voice and is way better than most of the current pack.

I sometimes wonder if music doesn't belong right up there with religion and politics for no-win conversation topics....

Sharon Jones, as I've posted elsewhere, is an absolutely amazing live performer....as are her band members (the closest thing to James Brown's old JBs from the 60s/70s)....and her other CDs, "Dap Dippin" (2002) and "Naturally" (2005), as well as last year's "100 Days, 100 Nights", are as good or better than anything Amy W. has put out, IMO.

Tony...There is NO doubt that Amy was/is on the fast track to real trouble. So was Janis, Jim, Jimi, Al...a whole crew of significant talents in the early 70s. It's been true for a long while. Keith ain't exactly a poster boy.

But if only one of the troubled children involved in today's music scene is capable of rising above the quagmire they've created for themselves...I HOPE it's AMY.

I wonder if they don't do this ker-rap just to get publicity? And then, of course, it backfires on them. Sad really. Talent is now being overshadowed by notoriety.