The "$treisand Tour.

ira

"The increasingly urgent need for private citizen support to combat dangerous climate change,along with education and health issues was the prime reason I decided to tour again...This will allow me to direct funds and awareness to causes I care deeply about".

("Barbra Streisand" 6/08/08-Billboard.)

My Take (IMHO):

1)PRO: "Barbra" promises to donate "Millions" through her "Streisand Foundation".

1)CON: According to the same article "Barbra" is "Credited" with shattering the glass ceiling for ticket prices on her 1993-94 tour with prices ranging from $150 to $2500." "Credited" for what?-What a euphemism! Credited for keeping Middle and Working Class people from enjoying "Live Music" by major artists they love.

How many millions will she donate from this 2006 Tour? That's up to her. But her last concert grossed $60 million.Do you think there will be a "little" left for "Babs" after her donations from these 20 concerts?

1a)CON:Maimonidies said that giving charity anonymously is the highest level of giving. Let's not be naive we all like recognition.However, I think-and it's just my opinion-if "Barbra" donated $2 Million Dollars of her OWN money AND appeared on every talk show in America to promote her causes and her agenda-it would have been preferable to taking all the money from her fans and giving "SOME" to charity. Charity begins at home.

2)"This will allow "ME" to direct funds (Again-Whose funds) and awareness to causes that "I","I","I", care deeply about".

I may get flack from my site mates 'cause I usually post just "Fun" stuff. But I worked in Philanthropy for years-and I left. I am very sensitive (I think ) to fundraising events with secondary agendas. The money CERTAINLY benefits the causes but sometimes the "kudos" and "hype" accorded the "Honoree" outweigh the deed.

3)"Barbra"-by the way is touring with "IL Divo."(For real)

Will they perform "ALL FULL OF HERSELF" AS THE CLOSING NUMBER TO THEIR SET?

With great trepidation I sign off eager to hear your responses. I think.-Ira.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ira, I've always respected your opinions posted here, and, I think you may be right "on the money" with this one. I never worked in philanthropy, however, my guess is that you've interpreted Barbra's quotes correctly. Her fans' dollars will be used to support her chosen charities - whatever they may be, and she'll get all the credit. You're right -- she's doing a good thing, but maybe going about the wrong way. No flack here... R4e

Babs is one of those "Blame America First" people who thinks Bill Clinton was the greatest President of the 20th century. She also wants to rob from the rich and give to the poor, as long as she's gets a waiver on giving up her own money. Capitalism is not just flawed, Capitalism is evil.

While I agree with her that GW Bush has become incompetent on almost all political fronts, I think she's a liberal nut when implying that Bush and America are the root cause of all the problems in the world. And she is a nut if she thinks I'm going to listen to her for geo-political advice!

Still, when she teams up with that dreamy Barry Gibb, she puts out sweet albums...

Agree or disagree, Ira....your's is a very intelligent, well thought out post.

I'm not a fan of Streisand (that's putting it mildly) but I'm not inclined to criticize her for using her talent and economic muscle to further her causes. I think that's a good thing...an American thing. That is as long as she doesn't force her political vitriol (sorry) down the throats of her concert audience... an audience that in essence is captive.

Having said that, I agree with your statements Ira.

Tony, I go thru the same stuff arrgh . With Maureen Dowd & Hillary (2 Babsish type chicks) in my stable, I might be able to offer you a pointer or 2.

First, I've found that threatening to cut my services off is the best Gigolo Allowance Reduction Insurance. Second, throw in a little Osama Bin Laden role play once in a while arrgh (Yasser Arafat works also)...it not only will protect against allowance reduction but will probably earn you a raise.

cool

I'll probably go to see her perform. I like her, because she does the Broadway songs, and she even did a CD with a religious tone to it. I like her approach to music and film, working to give her best. She has learned to be strong, and a leader, which some men resented in the past(A woman stepping up to our level?-So-to-speak). And, it has not always been easy getting projects out. Seven years for one of her films, I believe. I never get into politics, because everyone can have their own oppinions. Music is a special gift, and other artists have been able to bring people's attention to a cause, like Bono. Actors and actresses have done that, too. I have to admit, it would be fun to be playing in the orchestra.

I know this is America and no-one can put a "Cap" on what you can earn. Still-is it right to charge whatever "the traffic will bear" rather than say the high end of the going rate for a "Superstar" ?

Isn't this kinda like charging $25 at the movies when a new "Star Wars" movie comes out because.....you can.-Ira.

Hey, Barbara had a knock-out figure for many years so you can't make fun of her "Stoney End" just because she got older...

Unless she runs for President! (See Hillary)

She's a great talent, who just happens to be an elite liberal and hates her own country the way it is now.

Oooooh, but how she loves the insane amount of money her evil country allows her to make, doesn't she? confused

Great point, Ira. Because of the prices, there's also the option of a DVD from her tour, and hopefully they'll put one out, eventually. One can really enjoy everything like interviews of the singer, see the show, and the credits of all the people making the show possible. There is alot of work, months before a show, and some are willing to pay. One good thing is that more money can go to charities.

Sorry about that, mellie. It was their thought, so I'll explain. Barbra is one of my favorite people in show business- Period!! I am a big fan or her work ethic. I admire her, because she's serious about doing excellent work. And, I had a chance to meet the songwriters of "The Way We Were", and other songs. I also have some of her CD's. I was referring to the selfish big ego's, years ago, that Barbra dealt with. Some of those men,(not me), wanted only a man to direct and give orders. I should have said that especially in film, some men didn't think she could direct or produce some of her films. She proved all of them wrong, because real talent is about being creative and doing great work. Giving and doing your best. And, you must be sure about what you are doing.

I also had a crush on "Susan Sarandon. She did a film called "Atlantic City" where she was ravishing. NOW I CAN'T separate her politics from her show-biz work and I don't desire her anymore. Do you think she'd be upset. Let's keep it our secret. I would never want to hurt her.-Ira.